• WezVWezV Frets: 17165
    A sharp knife should pop it off.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7226
    tFB Trader
    Or a broad chisel?
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 412
    Damn ! I feel your pain having done similar.  I always drill out as much as I can with forstners now.  Its retrievable for sure..  as someone here told me on my very first build , you learn so much more from solving small disasters like these.   Good luck with the repair.  Looking forward to seeing more of the build 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1406
    The fuckups have been fixed - a new piece of binding at the end of the neck and 2 part filler in the chunks. Not very visible with the pickups fitted, and will be gone under finish.

Fitting the pickups and the bridge were the last jobs, so did a dry assemble to make sure everything goes together properly. All good.

Next onto finishing.

I'm debating what to do with grain fill. I want to keep the back as light coloured as possible. I tried 'natural' grain filler on a test piece but it looks a bit wierd in the darker stripes.

I think I might try sealing it first, then grain filling with a bit of brown dye in the filler to darken it a bit. The sealer should prevent the dye darkening the limba.

Top is going to be shell pink with a little light amber over the top to make it a little more salmon, and a little less baby pink.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    That looks awesome already, will be even better in pink! =) Really glad you got the problems sorted out.

That's an awesome mat/carpet/rug too, it looks like the guitar's been dropped on it and has exploded!
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1406
    BTW Mark and Wez, the binding did pop off easily and cleanly with a chisel.

I'm crap at sharpening chisels so tried to get one sharper than just using an oil stone for trimming the binding. Turns out a heistercamp leather drinks coaster makes a fantastic strop with some autosol chrome polish!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 412
    Nice !  Its taken me a few years to get really sharp edges on my chisels and gouges.   I do have a 400/1000 diamond stone but I found that an 8x2” piece of mdf with leather glued to it makes a fantastic strop to use with autosol or chrome oxide polishing compound.   For dyeing grain filler I’ve had most success with fiebings spirit leather dyes mixed into pumice, boiled linseed oil and a bit of nitro to hep set it.  
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 400
    Absolutely beautiful work. Bravo

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.