Heart vs. head

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

I've got some money put away in a savings account which I will be able to get access to next week, and instead of spending any more on Telecasters (well, maybe one ;) ) I'm contemplating getting a new (used) car. 

The sensible choice (I'm looking at hybrids at the moment) is a 2020 Honda Jazz (I have a knackered 2005 1.4 petrol Jazz at the moment), while the "fuck it, buy something a bit more fun while you can" option might be something like a 2017 C Class C350e Sport.

Both are about the same price but no doubt the insurance would be way higher for the Merc., plus parts etc. are usually a lot more (from what I remember) for Mercedes too.

I'll probably end up keeping what I have now (so don't expect a saga ;) ) but it would be nice to have something a bit nicer to run about in.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Why not get a MX5?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

Because I have a daughter and a lot of large cuddly animals to move about on a regular basis, so it has to have more than two seats.
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    The sensible choice is to reinvest the money and keep driving the 2005 car until it is uneconomical to repair
    Jono111 said:
    The sensible choice is to reinvest the money and keep driving the 2005 car until it is uneconomical to repair

or buy more Telecasters ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3477
    300TDI Defender 110? Easy to maintain, loads of room, not fast but still good fun and it wont depreciate in value. Reliable old things too.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28350
    Yeti, obvs. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    robgilmo said:
    300TDI Defender 110? Easy to maintain, loads of room, not fast but still good fun and it wont depreciate in value. Reliable old things too.

Good lord no.

I only need a reasonably normal-sized car, so no SUVs etc. Even the Merc. is a little on the unnecessarily large side, but it would be nice to cruise around in comfort and relative silence where I don't have to crank up the radio above 40 mph.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6498
    Telecaster, obvs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2956
    Merc parts cost a fortune. Go BMW if you want that sort of thing. Loads of indy dealers to sort you out.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Paul_C said:
    robgilmo said:

Good lord no.

I only need a reasonably normal-sized car, so no SUVs etc. Even the Merc. is a little on the unnecessarily large side, but it would be nice to cruise around in comfort and relative silence where I don't have to crank up the radio above 40 mph.
    Sorry, you are right, there is the noise thing, I think I am just used to it by now.
    blobb said:
    Merc parts cost a fortune. Go BMW if you want that sort of thing. Loads of indy dealers to sort you out.

Yes, I'm not fixed on a Merc other than it looks quite nice, and when you look at the absolute state of my current car you wouldn't imagine me swanning about in something fancy ;)
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    Sporky said:
    Yeti, obvs. 
    +1 You can fit an awful lot of Telecasters in a Yeti.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24329
    Marshall plexi Handwired.

Then I’ll buy it from you for £50 at some point in the future. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18809
    robgilmo said:
    Paul_C said:
    robgilmo said:

Good lord no.

Sorry, you are right, there is the noise thing, I think I am just used to it by now.
    Pardon?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I have a 4 year old and drive an MX-5. As long as there's a bigger car in the same household it's not an issue
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1105
    That hybrid system on the Merc will be out of warranty, I don't think they'll be cheap to fix if you get problems. You checked the service schedules/costs with that Merc?
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 579
    I would definitely go for the Merc. BMW are like a tin can in comparison, and they go rusty a lot quicker. I would never give a BMW garage room. Mercs are far more superior, quality.just like Honda's.
    robgilmo said:
    Paul_C said:
    robgilmo said:

Good lord no.

Pardon?
    I put an echo auto in my old bucket, I literally have to scream at it before it hears me, then to actually hear any music from it the volume has to be on full. When I built the old girl I didnt put any sound proofing in it, then putting a rag top on it really didnt help either. I am sure normal defenders have some soundproofing though.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26617
    Paul_C said:

Because I have a daughter and a lot of large cuddly animals to move about on a regular basis, so it has to have more than two seats.
    GR86? Audi TT?
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24329
    What about a telecaster with a floyd rose?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom