Quad Cortex Opinions

What's Hot
kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1158
edited March 29 in Digital & Modelling
I've owned most of the big hitters in the modelling world at one time or another. I'm currently using a Tonex pedal with a Tube Screamer into the front for a gain boost. I'm missing having access to a range of effects.

I've got GAS for a Quad Cortex, it's the only one of the top modellers I've never owned. I love my Tonex pedal and have invested a ton of money into it with buying 3rd party captures, mainly Amalgam Audio captures. I like the idea of having comparable captures with in built effects etc. I know the Kemper Stage can do this as I've owned one in the past, but the size of the QC looks perfect. I could carry it around in a laptop bag for gigs. It would seem it's the perfect compact all in one solution.

Are the captures on the QC comparable to the Tonex? How is the quality of the effects on the QC in comparison to say the Fractal stuff, Helix or Kemper? 

A few of the most recent reviews I've seen of the QC have mentioned that the effects have been improved alot in recent firmware updates. Is this the case or is this a load of bull?

Can anyone offer any real world experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctavioOctavio Frets: 153
    edited March 29
    I think it's an excellent piece of kit. Plugin support is due any day now which will make it even better. I'd advise to buy one used as I did. If you don't like it then you shouldn't make a loss. Also a big fan of Amalgam captures and IRs! The capturing technology is pretty accurate and loads of good free captures available.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I love it.     Spent this afternoon updating my gig presets with some amalgam captures.    Super easy to use, sounds awesome.   Using the app to select and then download captures onto the unit is a lot easier than the tonex (I have both).  Plenty of effects that great and imo are as good as anything from fractal or line6. 
    I have no interest in adding the plugins but the improvements to the cloud for captures and preset sharing have been welcomed.  I rarely use the editing app as it's quick to edit on the unit but it's very simple to use. 

Any specifics you want to know?
  • John_P said:
    I love it.     Spent this afternoon updating my gig presets with some amalgam captures.    Super easy to use, sounds awesome.   Using the app to select and then download captures onto the unit is a lot easier than the tonex (I have both).  Plenty of effects that great and imo are as good as anything from fractal or line6. 
    I have no interest in adding the plugins but the improvements to the cloud for captures and preset sharing have been welcomed.  I rarely use the editing app as it's quick to edit on the unit but it's very simple to use. 

I just want to be sure that switching to the QC doesn't mean inferior captures. Have you compared equivalent Amalgam captures on both units John?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    John_P said:

I just want to be sure that switching to the QC doesn't mean inferior captures. Have you compared equivalent Amalgam captures on both units John?
    To my ears they sound identical apart from the QC having effects.   I haven't set them up next to each other with the same capture to do a more scientific comparison as they both sound great but I should try it to make sure. 
  • KultscharKultschar Frets: 46
    edited March 29
    I have an Axe FX III and Quad Core in separate locations so always hard for me to A / B at same time but will do that soon.    Im prob in the minority but I think I prefer the QC stock sounds but of course the options are limited in comparison to the Axe. 

I think we are in times where all these modellers are great really
  • NickBNickB Frets: 265
    If you like your Tonex why not just buy an HX effects and put them both onto a Pedaltrain Metro 20?
  • NickB said:
    If you like your Tonex why not just buy an HX effects and put them both onto a Pedaltrain Metro 20?
    Tried that and the added latency was an issue for me. Plus running through the HX to my ears changed the core tone of the Tonex too much. The only way I’ve been happy is running a delay after the Tonex in kill dry mode. So I run one output of the Tonex direct to one channel on my mixer, then the other output of Tonex to the delay, stereo out of the delay (wet signal only) to 2 separate channels on my mixer, hard panned left and right. I know I’m a fussy bugger!! It does sound good but is a major faff to setup. An all in one solution like the QC would allow me to do this ‘in the box’. Plus I would have access to all manner of other effects as well. Plus I could run my in ear monitors via the QC. (I used to do this with a Kemper Stage).
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 153
    @kennedydream1980 this could be useful to check out with headphones. The channel gives a good overview of the QC.
  • Octavio said:
    @kennedydream1980 this could be useful to check out with headphones. The channel gives a good overview of the QC.
    Thanks for the link. I will check that out.
  • NickBNickB Frets: 265
    NickB said:
    Tried that and the added latency was an issue for me. Plus running through the HX to my ears changed the core tone of the Tonex too much. The only way I’ve been happy is running a delay after the Tonex in kill dry mode. So I run one output of the Tonex direct to one channel on my mixer, then the other output of Tonex to the delay, stereo out of the delay (wet signal only) to 2 separate channels on my mixer, hard panned left and right. I know I’m a fussy bugger!! It does sound good but is a major faff to setup. An all in one solution like the QC would allow me to do this ‘in the box’. Plus I would have access to all manner of other effects as well. Plus I could run my in ear monitors via the QC. (I used to do this with a Kemper Stage).
    Did you try it in the loop of the HX effects? 
  • NickB said:
    NickB said:
    Did you try it in the loop of the HX effects? 
    Yes my comments above refer to running it through the loop of the HX effects.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10277
    edited March 30
    It was alright. No way to control an external amp was annoying. The touch screen was great but the effects and amps etc were pretty mediocre at the time. Maybe it's changed now though. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2208
    Having owned/used pretty much all of them, I’d go Fractal any day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3408
    Rabea, Rob Smith, Chris Shiflett, John Smith all seem to be very happy with their QCs...
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6921
    NelsonP said:
    Rabea, Rob Smith, Chris Shiflett, John Smith all seem to be very happy with their QCs...
    Rabea works for Neural doesn't he? So he’d better say he’s happy!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1