Flat to share/rent - Balham London - For my daughter

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
in Off Topic tFB Trader
So my daughter has accepted her first job, post degree, in London - So now needs to find a flat/room hopefully with similar minded people/age group  - She has looked at various sites like spare room and come across a couple of good potential options in Balham
 - She has read up a bit about the area, be it crime rates/safety, bars/eating/social, transport/tube into town, sports etc and she likes the idea of it

My first comment was I had never heard of Balham - I mentioned it to 2 lads I know who have worked in London many times over the years and both side avoid like the plague - A 3rd person said, no to the other 2 lads as it has been totally transformed 

So wearing my dad's hat and wanting to look out for her safely, but from a far, any comments about Balham from those who know the area better than I do

At this stage don't need/want comments about she'll be better renting in Ealing, Cricklewood, Edgware, Finsbury Park etc etc etc - She has looked at many flat options and likes Balham and has already had FaceTime chats with her potential flat mates - So kind of appreciate any good and/or bad news about Balham 

Thanks - Mark
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    Used to live in tooting bec a few years ago, which is a stop down from Balham on the northern line. I never had any issues there and it's full of mums with prams.

That area is pretty safe in general, and it's telling that when the riots were going on it had nothing happen, probably because all the Carribbean mums would drag you home by your ear if you misbehaved.

Did they say why they avoid it like the plague? I've only known it as being a genteel area, due to the park, swimming pool, and plethora of shops, bars and cafes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    Used to live in tooting bec a few years ago, which is a stop down from Balham on the northern line. I never had any issues there and it's full of mums with prams.

That area is pretty safe in general, and it's telling that when the riots were going on it had nothing happen, probably because all the Carribbean mums would drag you home by your ear if you misbehaved.

Did they say why they avoid it like the plague? I've only known it as being a genteel area, due to the park, swimming pool, and plethora of shops, bars and cafes.
    My daughter echo'd what you said about mum's and prams - Think many Aussies there now and even Margot Robbie has posted some comments about it I believe

I think one of the lads who said avoid like the plague, it will be better if I pass on his full comments as to racists to mention - But it was based more on Brixton etc and probably the days of the 70's/80's
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 188
    edited March 30
    Balham is a town of young professionals & families. It’s perfect for your daughter. I’m there visiting a friend most Friday afternoons.

As above, the Brixton/Peckham area used to be pretty risky up to about 20 years ago. Completely changed these days, although still rough around the edges in some places. I’m in Camberwell & it’s mostly full of hipster bars & restaurants. The Caribbean & Ghanaian communities are still prevalent so still got some of its old soul.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4139
    Another thumbs up for Balham
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3693
    Balham: Gateway to the South. 

Think this tells you all you need to know:

https://youtu.be/8RTWk9QIKS0

I lived there about 30 years ago and it was a safe area then, from friends who are there now it only seems to have improved so I wouldn’t be concerned. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12380
    A female friend of mine lived in a house share in Balham with no problems, although admittedly this was 15 years back. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5758
    It’s a totally different place from the ‘rough as’ reputation of the 80s. I’m a north Londoner and I’d be pleased if my daughters picked Balham. The truth is that south of the river is just better suited to the young trendy professionals these days. 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    edited March 30
    Balham is very middle class these days. My mate lived there 10 or 15 years ago and it's a nice enough place, he still owns a flat there. Expect to pay ££££ for rent though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    How old were the fellas who said avoid it like the plague? 

My old man was a copper there in the 70’s and yes, it wasn’t very nice. 

Now it’s very expensive and popular with professionals. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    How old were the fellas who said avoid it like the plague? 

My old man was a copper there in the 70’s and yes, it wasn’t very nice. 

Now it’s very expensive and popular with professionals. 
    Picking up some good positive feedback above, via other members - Both are two friends of friends who work in the building contractor business - Both electrician based - One was p'eed off as twice he had his fan broken into and stock/tools stolen, van wrecked and both times it was when he worked around that neck off the woods - So biased for personal reasons - Yes it can happen elsewhere, but it hadn't 
    tFB Trader

dazzajl said:
    It’s a totally different place from the ‘rough as’ reputation of the 80s. I’m a north Londoner and I’d be pleased if my daughters picked Balham. The truth is that south of the river is just better suited to the young trendy professionals these days. 
    That means a lot and she is picking up such vibes about other 'professionals' living there - Whilst she is working north of the Thames, she said it was a straight tube trip to work, with little walking either end and no changes so that was also a bonus
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for your comments above - My daughter has done quite a bit of a reccy on line and social media - I dare say it won't be familiar to many of you London boys, but here digs in Sheffield were by what they call Eccy Rd (Eccleshall Road) and she said she can feel a similar vibe about Balham and that appeals to her 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited March 30
    Balham is middle class, slightly WASPy white women like it. Safe.
    I put it in a similar category to Putney & Clapham which is the same but "more".

Ealing Broadway is similar but I like it less. Finsbury Park has more nightlife, perhaps a bit more trendy. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    London is London.....there are some super-expensive areas and some really rough parts .My weekdays take me around all of them.I don't think Balham is any better or worse than any other as a place to live or work ...it's actually quite a nice area in the last 30 years.
    None are any safer or less safe than others .......
    Last saturday at 5pm a twat on an electric scooter tried to mug me /steal phone on the main road in Hampstead ,a very smart expensive area (they failed ) and just before Christmas I collapsed and passed out in a very rough area (Tottenham /Edmonton) whilst carrying a brief case/laptop etc and was helped by 2 girls and 2 young men who were proper gang-banger types and really looked after me until Paramedics arrived .
    I used to live in St John's Wood (one of the most exclusive areas ).......my neighbour was followed home  held at gunpoint for 4 hours during which time she was raped and ...they waited in the house for the Husband to come home when they beat him senseless before taking him to a series of cashpoints and driving off in his car when they exhausted his cards . A month later a drug -dealer was stabbed to death in our front garden and we had a white police tent there for 2 weeks .
    The profile of the area has very little to do with personal safety.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Dominic said:
    London is London.....there are some super-expensive areas and some really rough parts .My weekdays take me around all of them.I don't think Balham is any better or worse than any other as a place to live or work ...it's actually quite a nice area in the last 30 years.
    None are any safer or less safe than others .......
    Last saturday at 5pm a twat on an electric scooter tried to mug me /steal phone on the main road in Hampstead ,a very smart expensive area (they failed ) and just before Christmas I collapsed and passed out in a very rough area (Tottenham /Edmonton) whilst carrying a brief case/laptop etc and was helped by 2 girls and 2 young men who were proper gang-banger types and really looked after me until Paramedics arrived .
    I used to live in St John's Wood (one of the most exclusive areas ).......my neighbour was followed home  held at gunpoint for 4 hours during which time she was raped and ...they waited in the house for the Husband to come home when they beat him senseless before taking him to a series of cashpoints and driving off in his car when they exhausted his cards . A month later a drug -dealer was stabbed to death in our front garden and we had a white police tent there for 2 weeks .
    The profile of the area has very little to do with personal safety.
    Funnily enough, last weekend I was chatting to a customer I've known for many years - He lives in/near Enfield - He basically echo'd your comment and said most districts have their own +ve and -ve areas 

But for a 22 year old girl,  putting her down on a pillow at night, for the first time, I want her to feel comfortable 

Sorry about your own bad experiences - Hope she only hears about such stories and never see's or experience's such issues
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I live 2 miles from Enfield ........in a place called Hadley Wood.........it's very cusp N London /edge Herts ....a quiet suburb but like everywhere in London ,despite being outside the interior it's not without it's drama.
    You have to go well into No Man's land 15 miles outside Greater London to find local papers with Headlines like " Chairman of Bowls Club resigns over Mole infestation "
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7148
    Balham is okay these days. In the past, I've witnessed someone being stabbed in front of me in the high street by the tube station and seen people being chased with guns being fired. But that was the early 2000s, so it was 20-plus years ago.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1348
    As a Londoner, Balham would give me no concerns as a place for my daughter to live. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    stonevibe said:
    Balham is okay these days. In the past, I've witnessed someone being stabbed in front of me in the high street by the tube station and seen people being chased with guns being fired. But that was the early 2000s, so it was 20-plus years ago.

A guy I was at college with in the mid 90’s lived in Balham. 

Two fellas tried to mug him outside the station. He gave both a smack and ran off. 

They tried to press charges for assault. Lol. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137
    I lived there in my 20s/30s for 13 years. Great place. Miss it loads. It is not unsafe in any way. Nestled between green spaces of tooting and Wandsworth common. Loads of great pubs, restaurants. When I lived there there was free live music every night at the Bedford. The best of London. Perfect place for her, I would say.