Wolfie and Slash tonoght

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I could have gone to the Resorts World one on unsold tickets but I wouldn’t know any of the songs apart from GnR and I can’t stand Myle’s voice. Would have been interesting to see Mammof I guess, although it annoys me that they’ve stolen the name…

https://youtu.be/DLFZkg8w0y8?si=psywHuOf7z99Qy0s
    I remember them!

They were pretty good.
    John McCoy was a great character (and bassist), probably still is but at 75 maybe taking it easy now. He’s the bass player on this…

https://youtu.be/4SpX8bVEmJo?si=xeQErxG6u3UrrGAi

I’m trying to think of a clever way to bring this back round to Slash, but nope. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Did Slash play any pedal steel?
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Stuckfast said:
    Did Slash play any pedal steel?
    Yes. See Elton Fucking John above. 
    And we couldn’t hear him but he was soloing on it like a fury. 
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Got to say as well - Wolfie is soooo like Eddie in mannerisms. He doesn’t look much like him but damn he’s Eddie2.0. 
    I was up near the front and when he launched into the solo for Take A Bow his smile and face just reminded me so much of Ed. Gave me chills when I noticed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    You lost me at 'Elton Fucking John'. What's with the disrespect?

The guy's legitimately a fantastic songwriter and rock & roll icon for good reason, and I like both Mammoth and GnR. Alter Bridge not so much. 
    Genuine lol :) 
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    edited April 1
    RocknRollDave said:
    I would happily spend an afternoon chatting guitars with him over a cuppa
    Yeah. Let us know when you get the invite, especially after the slagging you've just given him.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    darius said:
    Got to say as well - Wolfie is soooo like Eddie in mannerisms. He doesn’t look much like him but damn he’s Eddie2.0. 
    I was up near the front and when he launched into the solo for Take A Bow his smile and face just reminded me so much of Ed. Gave me chills when I noticed. 
    I'd have loved to have seen that.

Slash was my reason for getting into guitar. Appetite is still killer. New album not my fave and wish Myles would get some grit in his voice but who am I to criticise. Iirc slash had a guitar tutor at some point... That's when the solos started to become long and technical and imo with a bit less rawness and heart. 

These days I listen to country more!
  • twguitartwguitar Frets: 6
    edited April 2
    You went to see Slash supporting his last album and are annoyed they played songs from it and one one GnR song? 
    Sounds like you should have bought Guns tickets instead. 

I was there and thought they sounded great, good to hear some of the new songs which have some pretty catchy parts. Cool to hear Bad Apples which Guns have only ever played twice. Agree would have been nicer to have a longer set from Mammoth though. 

Frankly a guitarist going solo and filling a UK arena tour is pretty damn impressive, not many could do that. Some lovely gear on show, particularly from Frank. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonBJonB Frets: 6
    Saw the gig last night in Manchester. Annoyingly was having a Guinness followed by a Greggs so missed most of Mammoth which I'm a bit gutted about. I really enjoyed it, yeah some of the solo's or the build up to them might've been a touch long but it's Slash innit, he's a legend. I really enjoyed Rocket Man too, Myld Ks got a great voice seems a decent bloke just needs a bit of oomph to get the 'kids' going.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10237
    edited April 3
    blueskunk said:

The guy's legitimately a fantastic songwriter and rock & roll icon for good reason, and I like both Mammoth and GnR. Alter Bridge not so much. 
    Genuine lol  
    It may be cool to hate on certain artists but it doesn't make much sense to me. I stopped being so one dimensional about this stuff when I was a kid. The reason why the likes of Slash love the likes of Elton John is because they see the genius in his songwriting and appreciate it for what it is. Dave Grohl is constantly talking about his love for Elton John, and bands like ABBA, Foreigner etc. 

I've never met a serious musician who went around shitting on the likes of Elton John. Not liking the music is one thing but disrespecting these songwriting icons is just silly. Anyone who knows anything about music, about performing, about showmanship shows respects these artists for the feats they've achieved. 

Anyway, it's not that serious really. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited April 3
    I would happily go see Wolfie's lot.. I have a lot of respect for the lad... can't be easy being the son of a legend but he's so talented and humble, he deserves the plaudits and success.
    Miles Kennedy... no thanks.. one of those voices that has been overused and overplayed on the radio imho.
    The two acts on the same bill priced me out.

BTW...  Mammoth.. thanks for the reminder.. I'd completely forgotten about this band, such an iconic MTV image, like the cast of Wrestlemania started a band; I will enjoy digging back through their catalogue.
    I had them confused in my mind with Magnum due to the vague similarity in appearance of Tony Clarkin (RIP) and the Mammoth bass guitarist, John McCoy.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    TeleMaster said
    I've never met a serious musician who went around shitting on the likes of Elton John. Not liking the music is one thing but disrespecting these songwriting icons is just silly. 
    Interested to see that Steven Wilson reckons Eltons run of albums in the 70s is the greatest single uninterrupted run of songwriting genius...ever. 
  • SixStringSageSixStringSage Frets: 135
    I haven't got tickets to this tour as I wasn't a big fan of the latest album. I enjoy parts of each SMKC album, but generally think they'd be better if they released them less often to combine the best songs from two albums and drop the filler.

I don't think the songs are samey, but think at a live show it can feel that way because Myles only has one setting. I remember watching Justin Hawkins' review of the album and he said the vocal delivery was great, but the melodies were pub band singer level and that's really stuck with me. 

I've also seen videos of them playing Don't Damn Me on this tour, which is great considering Guns never do it. Let's be honest there's no point them playing the big Guns hits when a) Guns has toured non-stop for 7 years, b) Slash is part of Guns again. SMKC is its own thing, so fair play to them for playing their own catalogue and some deep cuts from GnR. Ditto Elton John - it's nice to see musicians branch out a bit.

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    blueskunk said:

Genuine lol  
    It may be cool to hate on certain artists but it doesn't make much sense to me. I stopped being so one dimensional about this stuff when I was a kid. The reason why the likes of Slash love the likes of Elton John is because they see the genius in his songwriting and appreciate it for what it is. Dave Grohl is constantly talking about his love for Elton John, and bands like ABBA, Foreigner etc. 

I've never met a serious musician who went around shitting on the likes of Elton John. Not liking the music is one thing but disrespecting these songwriting icons is just silly. Anyone who knows anything about music, about performing, about showmanship shows respects these artists for the feats they've achieved. 

Another genuine lol. Cheers kidder. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10237
    blueskunk said:
    blueskunk said:

Genuine lol  

Another genuine lol. Cheers kidder. 
    Yea good contribution. 
  • tbmtbm Frets: 579
    I could have gone to the Resorts World one on unsold tickets but I wouldn’t know any of the songs apart from GnR and I can’t stand Myle’s voice. Would have been interesting to see Mammof I guess, although it annoys me that they’ve stolen the name…

https://youtu.be/DLFZkg8w0y8?si=psywHuOf7z99Qy0s
    I remember them!

They were pretty good.
    That's a tune.  

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.