RIP Pete Austin (Denmark St)

What's Hot
KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
Just heard that Pete Austin - a familiar friendly face to many players from London and beyond thanks to his 30+ years working in various guitar shops on Tin Pan Alley, including Andy's and the original incarnation of Hanks - died a few days ago. 

I met Pete as a callow teen in about 1979 when he sold me a Gibson flattop. He was a fount of stories and we had a few fine chats down the years. Definitely one of the good guys from a slice of music culture now passing into memory. So long Pete. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dcgdcg Frets: 231
    Yes, Pete was a true Denmark Street legend back when the street still had some legitimate reputation, and before it became a kind of music theme park (but without all the rehearsal rooms and studios behind the shops, which have been removed/sanitised).  Always good for a chat and some good repartee, Pete once mentioned to me that he owned 27 Telecasters...one of which is of course pictured above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sammysabersammysaber Frets: 707
    Only a few days ago I was thinking of him, reminiscing about the early eighties as a young teenager who was in Andy's five days a week ; it really was a second home with Andrew, Andy, and Pete. He had a great sense of humour - wish I had had a chance to see him later on to say thank you for the memories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom