Broken resonator tailpiece

Picked up my resonator this evening and discovered that the Chinese metal (aka chetal :)) tailpiece had snapped. Before I start on a course of butchery, any idea where I could get a replacement or something similar?
It's a Gretcsh G9240 Alligator. I've done a very quick Google / Ebay trawl and haven't seen anything similar in the matt nickel vein.
It's only 80mm in length which is also a bit of a challenge.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    How’s it affixed to the crossbrace? You might be able to bodge a (matching) pair of replacements if you’re reasonably handy with some basic tools…
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've a fair idea on affecting a repair but given the quality of the chetal it's not likely to be pretty, hence the preference for a replacement.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    Is J-B Weld available in a suitable colour?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7279
    edited April 2
    I wonder whether gold anodised aluminium might be a good match for the existing one.  If so, you might well be able to fashion something yourself that would be a close match.
    What thickness and width are the main "stays" that bend over the body?
    The part that is riveted / bolted onto those stays, where the strings pass through, does that have anything solid underneath / inside it to prevent the back edge of it being bent forwards by the string tension?  I can't tell if it's a sheet of folded metal that goes all the way around and underneath to form a box profile or if it is an upside down D shaped profile with an open underside but with something like a block of wood underneath and inside it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16722
    options are:

1.  Contact Gretsch/Fender to see if they will sell you a spare
    2. Rebuild the existing one with a new leg
    3. Find a similar tailpiece, you may have luck looking for vintage ones from cheap old archtops and resonators*
    4. Fit a short trapeze tailpiece 

*this kind of thing
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/315248565449
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    It’s going to be a bit of a problem unless you can find something like the one WezV posted - the spacing of the screw holes is unusually large and covering them will be an issue. (And what looks like a nasty scratch in the top where the broken end has scraped it.)

If you’re not bothered about that I would probably just fit a standard resonator tailpiece - as long as you can be sure it’s steel and not brass, which this one looks like and why it failed. I think you should be able to find a relic’ed one, although they’re usually chrome plated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The scratch isn't that bad... it's a cheap guitar as well so not too worried about it.
    I've reached out to Fender, so will see what they come back with. I found the part number but it's unsurprisingly not available to purchase off the shelf.
    Unless Fender come through or I can find a suitable alternative (I quite like the look if it really), my thought is to fashion a replacement leg with a bit of scrap I have in the garage.