Going to get schooled on riffs by Helmet tonight

What's Hot

I've always been aware of them but not really got into their albums. I saw the listing come up and thought it would be worth going to see someone that has had a massive influence on lots of my favourite bands. I expect I'll spend most of the gig going "that sounds like Reuben" "that sounds like Biffy" "that sounds like *another band who uses drop D alot!"

I've enjoyed doing my homework and "Meantime" has some killer grooves on it.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23630

I've got all the old albums but haven't kept up with them since they reformed.

Meantime seemed like a really big deal to me when it came out, these weird short-haired guys blasting out such brutal riffs.  Betty's my favourite of their albums though, it's more diverse and funky in a weird sort of way.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Great band and cool riffs. Must have been a good night?
  • How many drop D riffs can one band have?!

I didn't realise this was the "Betty" tour and that they were playing that album in it's entirety. The sound was a bit shonky to begin with, Paige seemed to be having trouble hearing his guitar and the sound man hadn't switched on his second mic (for distorted vocals), so the first half was a bit tense.

They got through Betty and Paige talked to the crowd for a bit. Although he seems a bit grumpy when he's playing, he was really funny when he was chatting. Apparently he's spent a lot of time in Scotland.

But then he announced they were going to play "Meantime" in reverse and the crowd went mental. For me, that album was where the band settled into their stride and the riffs just kept coming.

Today I'm slightly hungover and my head is thumping, all in all a good night!

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23630

Bugger, I'm sorry I missed it now!  Sounds like a good night.

• The only album I have is in the meantime, it;s ok but I preferred the bands that were influenced by them, like early silverchair for example.

Their singer is probably what puts me off the most tbh.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    They're one of those bands that i've always meant to put some time in to but never get round to. They're a big influence on a lot of my favourites (reckon me and the OP have a similar taste!) so I probably should.

Nice to discover I'm not the only Reuben fan here too! "These here Helmet rip-offs, they won't buy my lunch, so I'll get a real job at the office"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @mike257 - I'd highly recommend giving Meantime a listen.

You're getting a wisdom for quoting Return of the Jedi! Did you get a copy of the 10th anniversary edition of Racecar?