How to repair a Tele control plate screw hole?

What's Hot
JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
So the screwhole for the control plate screw closest to the pickguard of my early 2000s US Tele has disintergrated so you can no longer screw a screw into it. There's now a hole from the screwhole into the wall of the control cavity. Any idea how it can be fixed? I tried a bit of woodglue in the screwhole, hoping it would hold it all together enough to screw a screw into the hole, but that failed.
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    edited April 3 tFB Trader
    It sounds like a job for drilling out the hole larger, and putting in a dowel or wood plug, then re-drilling for the screw hole.

And you are in Croydon - so it could be easy to pop in and have us do it, as we have all the tools, dowels and experience in doing it

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    That's trickier than the usual toothpick/wood glue solution if it's broken through the cavity wall. As FelineGuitars said, you may have to cut some of the wood away so you can glue in a piece which extends slightly further into the cavity.

A bodge that usually works is to get a longer screw, and purposely drill the pilot hole at a slight angle so it runs away from the cavity as it goes in deeper - the angle of the screw head isn't noticeable unless you overdo it.

I would let Feline Guitars have a look at it though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    Thanks @FelineGuitars and @ICBM I was thinking it might be time for a visit to Feline but I thought i'd ask here first. The guitar could probably do with a set up too ;-)
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom