Online mixing courses?

What's Hot
Just thinking out loud really, but wondered if anyone can recommend any online mixing courses. I've set myself a goal of improving my mixing this year after about a decade of avoiding anything other than rough mixes after tracking, preferring to hand stuff over to the professionals when it comes to that bit.

I've checked out some of Daniel Dettwiler's youtube videos, so his courses maybe appeal, especially as he's working in jazz and acoustic music, which is broadly where I am (although I'm much more on the avant-garde end, so noisier, and more in common with rock aesthetics at times). https://www.danieldettwiler.com/courses

Anyone checked his out? Any thoughts? Any others?

(and yes, I know, I need to spend the time practicing, but wondering if something like this would help shape that practice)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    I haven’t taken this course, but Jack Stratton has a real ear for music and has mixed all the Vulf records stuff. Theres a free example on YouTube I think. https://vulf.co/p/mixing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 87
    Not online but i would highly recommend Mike Seniors book, Mixing Secrets for small studios. I feel like i’ve gained more from that book than anything else. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    Thanks both!
    Actually, you know what would be really useful? "How to Polish a Turd: mixing tips for when you've fucked up the recording somehow"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Macca_25387Macca_25387 Frets: 87
    I’ve read that also, i found Mike Seniors less condescending. Ha
  • colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    Actually, you know what would be really useful? "How to Polish a Turd: mixing tips for when you've fucked up the recording somehow"
    high pass at 80hz, 6db dip at 500hz; compressor at 3:2 on the mix bus; walk away :D 
    high pass at 80hz, 6db dip at 500hz; compressor at 3:2 on the mix bus; walk away :D 
    *furiously taking notes*
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    Just thinking out loud really, but wondered if anyone can recommend any online mixing courses. I've set myself a goal of improving my mixing this year after about a decade of avoiding anything other than rough mixes after tracking, preferring to hand stuff over to the professionals when it comes to that bit.

I've checked out some of Daniel Dettwiler's youtube videos, so his courses maybe appeal, especially as he's working in jazz and acoustic music, which is broadly where I am (although I'm much more on the avant-garde end, so noisier, and more in common with rock aesthetics at times). https://www.danieldettwiler.com/courses

Anyone checked his out? Any thoughts? Any others?

(and yes, I know, I need to spend the time practicing, but wondering if something like this would help shape that practice)
    You will learn more having some one to ones with someone who can assess where you are at and what you need to know to level up a bit.

Online courses are fine, up to a point.
    But they are businesses designed to appeal to a broad cross section of people.

I offer one to one audio production training, but I'm not saying this to bid for work, I've got no availability until June anyway.
    Having something targeted at the gaps in your knowledge is more efficient.

A lot of what will be in online courses may be redundant for someone with your level of experience (from what I've gathered from your posts on this site).
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    Not online but i would highly recommend Mike Seniors book, Mixing Secrets for small studios. I feel like i’ve gained more from that book than anything else. 
    I agree with this recommendation, plus a good book on tracking. Nicely recorded stuff is easier to mix. 
    I found Dave Pensado's mixing tutorials great and watched most of them. 

Buy the book and watch Dave.
    Very kind of you to say @octatonic. I think I've got a fair grasp of some theory so you may well be right about 1-to-1's. I think what I need is to improve my ears, which, again, comes back to practicing!
    edited April 4
    I agree with this recommendation, plus a good book on tracking. Nicely recorded stuff is easier to mix. 
    I found Dave Pensado's mixing tutorials great and watched most of them. 

Buy the book and watch Dave.
    Absolutely, but one of the issues is most of my recording is live in less-than-acoustically-ideal venues etc. So I'm finding that traditional mixing courses (at least that I've read or seen) tend to start with "take your 16 channel drum recording and decide what blend of the 4 perfectly recorded kick mics you want" or similar, which doesn't often align with what I've got!

Thanks for the recommendation of Dave Pensado, I'll check him out too!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    I've subscribed to nail the mix for a couple of years now...just wish I had the time to make the list of it. It is great but obviously very metal focussed.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9575
    Thanks for that, im gnna try that book.