Schaller 2x2 machineheads convert to 4 in a line.

What's Hot
Is it possible to convert these schaller 2x2 machineheads to standard 4 in a line Fender  style.

I bought a job lot but did not notice they were 2x2 style.

https://ibb.co/0YKs96P

Thanks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    Yes, pretty sure you can - undo the big screw, take the gear off and you should see a flat metal piece that holds the keyshaft into the frame from underneath. Take that off and you can reverse the keyshaft.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14456
    Yeah but no but …

While it is possible to dismantle and reassemble Schaller BM machineheads to render them four-in-line, they will not fit properly on a vintage-correct Fender/Squier bass guitar. The key plate - where it flares into the "clover leaf" shape - will foul on the back of the headstock. (Ask me how I know this.

BMs directly retrofit MusicMan and most Rickenbacker bass guitars. You might persuade them to fit on the atrophied headstock of a Fender Katana or Jazz Bass Plus.

The overwhelming majority of Fender and Fender-style basses require the model with a larger back plate and a longer key shaft.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom