Who'd live in a shipping container?

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
People have created some amazing homes out of humble shipping containers .. I fancy one for a studio at the bottom of my garden.

http://www.trueactivist.com/a-shipping-container-costs-about-2000-what-these-15-people-did-with-that-is-beyond-epic/?utm_source=sidebar2&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=container

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My wife came here in a shipping container (I paid - first class naturally) and she has very strong view on the maximum occupancy but says it was comfier than you might expect.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    I'm assuming the occupancy restriction was part of her pre-nup demands?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    didn't a "room" sell in London for £250k just recently? That can't have been much bigger'n a container.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    Only concern I'd have would be how hot they get in the summer and how cold in the winter.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Gassage said:
    I'm assuming the occupancy restriction was part of her pre-nup demands?
    No, it was on my insistence as I didn't want her rubbing up against Piccadilly pickpockets for the whole journey.  It was costly but in the end it was just her, three wives of an Afghan warlord and a fridge full of Philippine eagle eggs.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited October 2014
    I like the effort they put into the aesthetics with this one; who would ever know it was a couple of containers on stilts?

Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10392
    I really love the idea of this and would love to have a go designing and putting one together.

I wouldn't imagine the planning laws in this country would view them too favourably in certain areas though.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Do look at the link I posted - the genius Will Alsop pioneered this at that school......amazing project, totally visionary

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Jalapeno said:
    Only concern I'd have would be how hot they get in the summer and how cold in the winter.

Oooh, I can clear that one up for you straight away: fucking hot, and fucking cold.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:

Oooh, I can clear that one up for you straight away: fucking hot, and fucking cold.
    ....and fucking smelly after curry night.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited October 2014

^^

Radiators

Fans

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

Re conditions, the Alsop school, which finished second to the overweight over cost over time Scottish parliament building in the 2005 Stirling Prize, cost an astonishing £2.3m to build. The school is in a rough area where kids are at threat in all sorts of manners. The result is a school that has the lowest comparative illness and truancy rates in London, and has a waiting list as long as the M1. Alsop is marmite sure, but this is one of his finest hours

There are one or two design flaws when considering them for habitation, in as much as there's no windows in a shipping container, so you'd have to choose between leaving the doors open and freezing you balls off, or dying from asphyxia.

Plus, depending on where you leave it, you might bed down for the night, and find yourself en route to some fly-infested sweatbox shithole sandpit up the Gulf when you wake up in the morning.

There are one or two design flaws when considering them for habitation, in as much as there's no windows in a shipping container, so you'd have to choose between leaving the doors open and freezing you balls off, or dying from asphyxia.

Plus, depending on where you leave it, you might bed down for the night, and find yourself en route to some fly-infested sweatbox shithole sandpit up the Gulf when you wake up in the morning.

There's a cheap window system that is on the market- you plasma cut a circle and fit a modular porthole thing

Don't take this the wrong way mate but I'm simply not interested. It's Decker who's desperate to move up the property ladder.

• There was this idea which became a home office on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces program -

http://www.lioncontainers.co.uk/uploads/1/0/9/3/10939787/2199625_orig.jpg?312

It turned out fantastically but they had an issue as when the container arrived the only way to get it in was over the guy's garage and the crane driver wouldn't do it on insurance grounds (or more likely that his boss might see him on TV slipping the £20 into his breast pocket for skirting regulations).  In the end they had to plasma cut it into pieces and the rebuild it in situ, which is why they went for the open panel design as opposed to the original windows.

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 841
    edited October 2014

I really liked the one that was shown on Grand Designs a couple of weeks back. The guy just happened to be an architect though, so I reckon he had a bit of an advantage! http://www.pb-architects.com/completed-photos/

Oh, and the floating bath he bought, was carbon fibre, and cost £16.5k! WTF!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom