Have You Ever Walked Out Of A Concert ?

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 833
    I walked out of a Kenny Wayne Shepherd gig at Newcastle Boilershop a few years ago. Never seen a band look so disinterested on stage before and KWS playing was totally uninspiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    Wilco Johnson headlined at a festival me and Mrs Monster frequent annually. Was a few years ago now -he was f@ckin awful. Totally out of time with the rest of the band (only a drummer and bassist!) obviously he or they weren’t getting the IEMs signal properly (perhaps?) I thought after a couple of numbers they would have got it right but no he did the whole set out of time with the rest of the band. It was dreadful we only stayed for the first couple of songs but as we were camping we could hear the whole set from the tent. Just awful! 
    Shame really saw him many years ago in a little venue and he was awesome!
    Was that the Cambridge Folk Festival? Because his set there was exactly like that. Tragic. And he had Norman Watt-Roy on bass too.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3372
    edited May 14
    G4pei said:

• GA20, Norwich Arts Centre - nothing much to see, all hype IMO
    I had freebies for GA20 last year in a church in chester and really looked forward to it. Whilst they were lovely guys, there was no substance to it other than cool gear.  
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 842
    Stuckfast said:
    Wilco Johnson headlined at a festival me and Mrs Monster frequent annually. Was a few years ago now -he was f@ckin awful. Totally out of time with the rest of the band (only a drummer and bassist!) obviously he or they weren’t getting the IEMs signal properly (perhaps?) I thought after a couple of numbers they would have got it right but no he did the whole set out of time with the rest of the band. It was dreadful we only stayed for the first couple of songs but as we were camping we could hear the whole set from the tent. Just awful! 
    Was that the Cambridge Folk Festival? Because his set there was exactly like that. Tragic. And he had Norman Watt-Roy on bass too.
    No. Blimey he did a repeat performance of that! 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445
    JCA2550 said:
    Sparklehorse at the Theatre Royal Dublin in 2000, the sound and performances were bloody dreadful. On the plus side, the support was the truly awesome Dublin locals Frames including Glenn Hansard. Been a monster fan ever since.
    Glen Hansard is awesome
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 445

DiscoStu said:
    Smashing Pumpkins at the SECC on their Infinite Sadness tour ’96.
    I was a huge fan but they went off on so many self indulgent freestyle jams it really pissed me off and I left. 
    I also left a Pumpkins gin in Brum. Self indulgent shite unfortunately. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12472
    Stuckfast said:
    His drummer was Dylan Howe for a long time, Steve Howe’s son. (Think he’s with the Blockheads nowadays.)

I could never understand why Norman was in his band, it must’ve been a pretty boring gig for him, I guess they were friends from Wilco’s time with the Blockheads or maybe Norman just needed the gigs and/or the money? 
    Sadly I think Wilco was living on past glory for a very long time after he quit the Feelgoods. I saw him lots of times, usually because he was on the same bill as someone I actually wanted to see, but he was never really that good. Terrible singing voice and very limited soloing skills, he just relied on the Wilco shuffle, the old Feelgood hits and the manic stare. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16321
    When I was a student I would go see almost everyone who played at the union. It was used for tour warm up gigs for Spear of Destiny so over four years I saw them a lot and, as far as I can recall always stayed until the end. I remember leaving a Furniture gig after about 15 minutes, just nothing happened apart from synth drones is how I remember it. I watched an entire set by Little Angels who bombed about as badly as any band I’ve ever seen and I felt staying was somehow the right thing to do. I remember The Damned as pretty awful and spending parts of that gig in a different part of the building just to rest my ears. 
    My concert going these days is normally dependant upon my son getting me cheap tickets so even on £5 tickets I stay until the end. I think the only one I didn’t (and obviously not a band) was Chris Rock. He went on late and then did a long set mostly about American politics and we left. There were Americans in the crowd and they seemed to love him but lots of people left early, it was just boring. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23504
    I watched an entire set by Little Angels who bombed about as badly as any band I’ve ever seen and I felt staying was somehow the right thing to do. 
    Was that during the time they were fairly successful?  I saw them a couple of times before they had a record deal and thought they were great, but when the albums came out they were more commercial and less fun.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1620
    boogieman said:
    Stuckfast said:
    His drummer was Dylan Howe for a long time, Steve Howe’s son. (Think he’s with the Blockheads nowadays.)

I could never understand why Norman was in his band, it must’ve been a pretty boring gig for him, I guess they were friends from Wilco’s time with the Blockheads or maybe Norman just needed the gigs and/or the money? 
    Sadly I think Wilco was living on past glory for a very long time after he quit the Feelgoods. I saw him lots of times, usually because he was on the same bill as someone I actually wanted to see, but he was never really that good. Terrible singing voice and very limited soloing skills, he just relied on the Wilco shuffle, the old Feelgood hits and the manic stare. 

I saw him many times, thought he was great. He was never anything to do with guitar solo’s! If you wanted that you were going to the wrong gig. But maybe you were -  it was Wilko I saw not Wilco!  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16321
    Philly_Q said:
    I watched an entire set by Little Angels who bombed about as badly as any band I’ve ever seen and I felt staying was somehow the right thing to do. 
    Was that during the time they were fairly successful?  I saw them a couple of times before they had a record deal and thought they were great, but when the albums came out they were more commercial and less fun.
    Playing a relatively large hall (same venue as The Damned for example). I think (this is quite a long time ago!) they were booked by the Rock Society as their big event of the year but most of them didn’t actually like the band. So the Rock Soc people paid to turn up to then ignore the band, anything remotely heavy was just deeply uncool for other students which I think just about left me who thought they were okay. They weren’t booed off stage or anything I just remember them playing an entire set to complete indifference although I guess they still got paid. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a band booed off stage, not the even bands I was in. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    Albert King. I always liked his recorded vocals and guitar but we walked out on him at Hammersmith. His guitar was not only far too loud but his tone was excruciating. Took the enamel off your teeth. Really painful.