Apple Velvet Underground doc

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2619
I watched it this evening having caved in and signed up for another streaming subscription. It's very good. It reminded me just how much VU are year zero for so much that I like about music. It reminded me of the environment and collectivity that ends up making great music/art. Hint: it's not about sitting about on a forum musing over string gauges, Gibson quality control or the next pedal that does much the same as the last one. It reminded me of the egos that go with the territory and the bad things that happen as a result.

Why do I hold on to the decades old pretence that I can make good music when none of what makes good music is present in my life?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1008
    I love the velvets too, it's hard to say that you have a favourite band but if you put a gun against my head and I had to choose, then it would be them. The sounds on that first album were just mind blowing when I first listened as a teenager. Definitely one of the things that made me want to be in a band.

Not got Apple TV though sadly and I don't think I want another subscription right now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2619
    Reminder to self - don't post on the internet after beer. I could've shared above link without the creative angst :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ewal said:
    Reminder to self - don't post on the internet after beer. I could've shared above link without the creative angst :-)

I think many people will be able to relate though, I definitely can. It's frustrating sometimes trying to be creative.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1468
    The angst and creativity is what makes the post even more interesting :) What's the point of a VU doc without self examination?

You have the most important part of the equation. You!!

People to play with is something that was easier to come across at the time / as a younger person. It's still possible, but don't let that be the impediment.

Next thing nowadays, ime, is the immediacy of setup - somewhere you can record yourself. Then just grab an instrument you don't play (yet) and have at it!

I'd bet that you have more hours on the guitar than all the Velvets combined when they recorded, so choose a different tack.

It's easier to say than to do. Nothing worth doing is easy. But getting bogged down surely is. I get bogged down every day. One day, I won't. One day, you won't.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 347
    edited April 8
    A good documentary about an interesting bunch of characters who were living in a time that no longer exists. Here are the closing credits, with a brilliant acoustic rendition of Heroin. John Cale is so on point with his viola playing.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9899
    edited April 6
    Get yourself into the composition and cover challenges of you want to get making music and you might be surprised by what you do come up with when a deadline is looming

I'd be very happy to hear some music recorded by a fellow forumite influenced by the Velvet Underground, love that sound and the storytelling that goes with the excellent band
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    ewal said:
    I watched it this evening having caved in and signed up for another streaming subscription. It's very good. It reminded me just how much VU are year zero for so much that I like about music. It reminded me of the environment and collectivity that ends up making great music/art. Hint: it's not about sitting about on a forum musing over string gauges, Gibson quality control or the next pedal that does much the same as the last one. It reminded me of the egos that go with the territory and the bad things that happen as a result.

Why do I hold on to the decades old pretence that I can make good music when none of what makes good music is present in my life?

You make great music. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2619
    But not as good as Lou, John, Sterling and Mo. I've got high standards  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DecorativeedDecorativeed Frets: 35
    It's a good documentary, but watching it you'd be forgiven for thinking that Doug Yule was never part of the band and that they'd disbanded after just two albums.

I love the early stuff, but every album is great, and that's not even counting the 1969 stuff that was never released at the time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's a good documentary, but watching it you'd be forgiven for thinking that Doug Yule was never part of the band and that they'd disbanded after just two albums.

I love the early stuff, but every album is great, and that's not even counting the 1969 stuff that was never released at the time. 

This is true generally I think when it comes to how the band are perceived. For example I remember being quite surprised when I found out he is the main vocals on some songs on Loaded which I'd always assumed were Lou Reed. Definitely doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12431
    Love the first 3 albums, the latter ones not so much, cleaned the sound up a bit too much for me.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    Cheers for the heads up it's now on my to watch list. For me it all starts with VU and practically everything I play is a rip off in some shape or form.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12052
    ewal said:
    The angst added to it, don't worry!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12431
    Started watching it in a dodgy streaming site, pretty good! 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"