Shall we try again ?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12212
    Philly_Q said:
    um .... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_i1YSa9xww

Not sure how you'd explain Mr Nugent's Byrdland  then about 3.17 ... all the sustain you can handle 
    Oh god, how the mighty have fallen 

Ted Nugent tells the tale of his night with Trump and Kid Rock

That's a Trump-alike waxwork, surely?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23395
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

It's the real thing, but I agree he looks a bit odd - and very small next to Ted, and not only because he's seated.  I think it must have been very early in the Trump presidency, they both look a lot worse nowadays.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72849
    randella said:

Bass guitars of any description, on the other hand, nah. Bollocks to that. I don't know how you guys do it lol
    By getting one that fits me physically first and worrying about the other aspects of it later - they can always be changed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

It's the real thing, but I agree he looks a bit odd - and very small next to Ted, and not only because he's seated.  I think it must have been very early in the Trump presidency, they both look a lot worse nowadays.  
    Also looks like @roberty has photoshopped ridiculously tiny plastic hands on to both of them :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10894
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:

Also looks like @roberty has photoshopped ridiculously tiny plastic hands on to both of them :-)
    This is part of Trump's MAGA agenda ... everyone will get free tiny plastic hands ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is part of Trump's MAGA agenda ... everyone will get free tiny plastic hands ... 
    ...as well as a truly repulsive pair of shite gold-coloured trainers.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12444
    Fuck the weight and sustain the more important question is how haunting are the mids?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1961
    armitaan said:
    When did the weight obsession begin ? I bought my first strat in 1987 and pretty sure noone talked about weight then . These days people will literally buy or not because of a few ounces , it's like middle aged blokes with their expensive road bikes , most of which should probably focus more on the extra stones or pounds round their waist line than a few ounces on their bike /guitar.  
    I couldn't give a f@ck about tone (if it's electric it's the magnets and pick ups etc anyway!!) but weight does matter if you value your back muscles and spinal system in your latter years. The weight argument of anything is valid for health reasons but not tone when speaking of non acoustic type guitars,imo.
    PS Haven't read or watched the link yet.
    tFB Trader
    armitaan said:
    When did the weight obsession begin ? I bought my first strat in 1987 and pretty sure noone talked about weight then . These days people will literally buy or not because of a few ounces , it's like middle aged blokes with their expensive road bikes , most of which should probably focus more on the extra stones or pounds round their waist line than a few ounces on their bike /guitar.  
    I couldn't give a f@ck about tone (if it's electric it's the magnets and pick ups etc anyway!!) but weight does matter if you value your back muscles and spinal system in your latter years. The weight argument of anything is valid for health reasons but not tone when speaking of non acoustic type guitars,imo.
    PS Haven't read or watched the link yet.
    I have two collapsed discs and some lack of function in my left leg due to trapped nerves ... this is due in part to heavy amps and heavy guitars. Personally I don't want to make it worse. 
    It's interesting that if I had been largely a home guitarist who played sat down and only moved their gear once in a blue moon I might have avoided many of the long term issues. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's interesting that if I had been largely a home guitarist who played sat down and only moved their gear once in a blue moon I might have avoided many of the long term issues. 
    That's my playing life at the moment and has been for many years.  However, I have a few mates locally who play and we've discussed the possibility of getting together for a bit of a jam.  Unfortunately I couldn't face the prospect of lugging 25kg+ of Marshall combo down 3 flights of stairs and then back up again.  I have a small Boss Katana Air but that wouldn't have sufficient poke for a jam.  I've toyed with the idea of a Boss Katana 50/100 watt combo as they're nice and light (well compared to a valve Marshall combo it is, anyway) but I've heard wildly varying reports of their capability and sound so not sure where else to go.
    tFB Trader
    Offset said:
    That's my playing life at the moment and has been for many years.  However, I have a few mates locally who play and we've discussed the possibility of getting together for a bit of a jam.  Unfortunately I couldn't face the prospect of lugging 25kg+ of Marshall combo down 3 flights of stairs and then back up again.  I have a small Boss Katana Air but that wouldn't have sufficient poke for a jam.  I've toyed with the idea of a Boss Katana 50/100 watt combo as they're nice and light (well compared to a valve Marshall combo it is, anyway) but I've heard wildly varying reports of their capability and sound so not sure where else to go.
    I have a Katana 50 ... and it's a great little amp ... and light as a feather. I have a Marshall combo which squats in the workshop because basically it's heavy enough to have it's own gravity.
    Because I'm about to be gigging again I just picked up a Peavey Classic 30 as it goes well with my Gretsch tone wise ... and it's amongst the lighter weight valve amps out there.

I'd happily use the Katana for a jam ... it has great tones but you do need to spend some time learning to fly it. Clean channel, preamp gain fully up, 25w or 50w mode and control volume with the master ... and use a good dirt pedal. It behaves very much like a little tube amp. To my mind ignore the crunch, lead and brown sound settings ... use one of the 'sneaky amps' profiles (I use a twin reverb patch)  and enjoy not having your discs turned to mush. 

I'd happily use the Katana for a jam ... it has great tones but you do need to spend some time learning to fly it. Clean channel, preamp gain fully up, 25w or 50w mode and control volume with the master ... and use a good dirt pedal. It behaves very much like a little tube amp. To my mind ignore the crunch, lead and brown sound settings ... use one of the 'sneaky amps' profiles (I use a twin reverb patch)  and enjoy not having your discs turned to mush. 
    Really useful, many thanks.  And only £199 at GAK too :-)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 785
    Weight isn't really what damages your back it's more about how you lift. In fact lifting weight, if done properly with good form should strengthen your core. 
    Kurtis said:
    Weight isn't really what damages your back it's more about how you lift. In fact lifting weight, if done properly with good form should strengthen your core. 
    I don't have a core these days :-)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23395
    Kurtis said:
    Probably something we should've learned in our 20s rather than at 55+ though.
     :) 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 454
    Fuck the weight and sustain the more important question is how fucking cool does it look!
    FTFY
    Kurtis said:
    I honestly found lifting both my 45Kg Mesa Trem-o-verb combos at the same time was easier than lifting one - really. Because with one, the strain on your back with the load off to the side or even in front lifting the end handles with both hands is enormous. With two, you simply flex your knees, grasp both top handles firmly and then stand up straight :). Can’t go very far like that, admittedly… ;)

I don’t have either of them now. Just too heavy at aged over 50.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 10
    ICBM said:
    Kurtis said:
    I honestly found lifting both my 45Kg Mesa Trem-o-verb combos at the same time was easier than lifting one - really. Because with one, the strain on your back with the load off to the side or even in front lifting the end handles with both hands is enormous. With two, you simply flex your knees, grasp both top handles firmly and then stand up straight . Can’t go very far like that, admittedly…

I don’t have either of them now. Just too heavy at aged over 50.
    Yes, I think the main problem is that amps/cabs etc are an awkward shape and size especially when trying to get through doors up stairs and whatnot.

Standing up straight with a good strap shouldn't be too bad though. Probably better than slumping over it sitting down.

A two shoulder strap might be good, if such a thing exists. Like a strimmer harness. 
    Kurtis said:

A two shoulder strap might be good, if such a thing exists. Like a strimmer harness. 
    Or an accordion harness. Those things are like wearing two Les Pauls at once :).

(Accordion players do reportedly often suffer from back pain…)