7.25 or 9.5

What's Hot

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3982
    I love my 7.25” radius Strat. It’s a MIM Classic 60s which also has vintage frets too. It plays great, it’s become my number one sofa guitar, and will be getting gigged when my band kicks back off this month.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    BillDL said:
    My perfect neck for a Fender style guitar would be compond radius 7.25 to 10mm.  Most of my Fender style guitars have a 9.5 or 10mm radius and I find it to be the most universally pleasing for most styles of playing.
    mm? Blimey! Your guitars must be choking out all the time ;-)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11824
    9.5 for me.  I can't get on with 7.25 and wouldn't buy a guitar with that radius.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2600
    I don't think it's all about the set-up.  I'm a set-up tinkerer and extremely fussy about getting the right set-up for me.  No matter how well set up, a 7.25" neck does not play as well for me personally as a well set up 9.5". 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Shaw9Shaw9 Frets: 5
    Besides the typical, 7.25 for comfortable chords and 9.5 for less choking on your bends advice, a few things I've observed:

- A well set-up 7.25 will play better higher up the neck than a poorly set up 9.5
    - The neck shape itself probably matter more i.e. if you are switching from a C to a V
    - The fret height will matter, quite a lot, depending on how much bending you're doing

Are you thinking of buying an AVRI 57 or 62? Necks are hugely different between the two, despite both being available in 7.25 radius.
    Yes I am thinking of buying a Vintage ii 62 Strat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Therea not much difference tbh, I'm not big into bends, prefer 7.25 if I had to choose but would struggle to tell the difference. A Gibson 12-inch feels very flat compared to either. Set up properly you won't have a problem. 

Jimi coped with 7.25. If you like the guitar (and with an AVRI, no doubt you will, fantastic guitars and genuine value for money if you get a good one!)

I'm planning on getting a reissue
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I have far too many guitars, Gibson, Fender,PRS and Musicman mostly Custom shop stuff but my current fave go to is an AVRI Strat with 7.25 maple neck. 

I have no problem with choking anywhere and I have a low action on it, it’s very comfortable to play.

go and try one.

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 758
    Therea not much difference tbh, I'm not big into bends, prefer 7.25 if I had to choose but would struggle to tell the difference. A Gibson 12-inch feels very flat compared to either. Set up properly you won't have a problem. 

Jimi coped with 7.25. If you like the guitar (and with an AVRI, no doubt you will, fantastic guitars and genuine value for money if you get a good one!)
    I'd say there is a difference. Bending on a 9.5 will be easier and won't choke out easily. 7.25 radius can be hard to get under to bend and really dig in, playing live when it's hot and you can easily slip off the string so I' much prefer 9.5.

I dunno, using one of the greatest of all time isn't a marker that I feel I can live up to. Find someone shit who done it and we'll all feel like we can do it lol 
    Sorry, assumed everyone reads comments on here as 'in my opinion/experience'. 

To clarify, owning and gigging both 7.25 and 9.5 radii Jazzmasters interchangeably for a decade, they're essentially the same in operation and I personally don't feel there's a huge difference. I don't adjust the way I play in any way. I don't notice bends fretting out but then I don't have ultra low action nor bend over two notes sharp very often if ever. 

Am certain some with a more refined playing style will notice but it's not a night and day thing. If the biggest issue is bends fretting out then it's not a huge issue imo (and hence the Hendrix comparison - any of the great Strat players who uses bends could have been cited!)
    Cheers everyone
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 231
    edited April 7
    I used to obsess over these sorts of things. Convinced myself I liked compound radius necks etc. etc. 
    Then I played a core Silver Sky and fell in love with it; I only "remembered" about the vintage radius after about 10 minutes of playing. Felt fine from the off.

I have it set up to PRS standard specs and it doesn't choke at all, including those big Gilmour bends (TM). I love it.

Agree 100% with those that have said it's those skinny, tiny vintage frets that are responsible for much of the beef. I had a Tokai strat back in the day that I thought was very comfortable because I could barely feel the frets. However, once I got a bit better, trying to "get under" the string and bend on that was a nightmare, which was solved by higher frets.  
  • Pon53Pon53 Frets: 1
    My favourite neck ever was a 90s Japan Squier with 7.25 inch radius, U shape and vintage tall frets.  The taller frets seem to suit that radius.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 790
    I just play guitar. 

What is neck radius anyway, necks aren't circles?! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I don’t really care. Both my favourite Fenders are 7.25”, but that isn’t high up on the list of why they’re my favourites. It makes practically zero difference to my ability to play them. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    I’d love to try a compound from 7.25 - 9.5”. I like both for Fenders. 
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 534
    Until you try it out for yourself and find out what suits you, you'll get tons of different personal experiences and preferences.
    Until you try it out for yourself and find out what suits you, you'll get tons of different personal experiences and preferences.
    Yes, I think you're right mate. Thanks to everyone for their comment though. Its certainly given me some good idea. Great group to ask questions of
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 534
    Shaw9 said:
    Yes, I think you're right mate. Thanks to everyone for their comment though. Its certainly given me some good idea. Great group to ask questions of

Don't get me wrong, it's ok to ask questions. But I'm not sure my preferences for 9,5 and 7,25 (I don't really like flat radii) would suit your playing style.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    My previous Strat had a 7.25” radius - I got used to it, and had a reasonably slinky setup without choking, but I just couldn’t get used to having the truss rod adjustment at the body end meaning I had to unscrew the neck, and that was one of the reasons I ended up moving it on. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    edited April 8
    If you like a low’ish action and do a lot of string bending then a 9.5” radius is likely to suit your needs better. On these threads you always get people saying that their guitar has a 7.25” radius and a low action and doesn’t choke out on bends, and that’s great. But the laws of physics apply and if you have two guitars with exactly the same features, frets and spec other than the fretboard radius, then you can get a lower choke-free action on the 9.5” radius board than you can on the 7.25” board. 

In the late 1980s I was in Roger Giffin Guitars in Kew Bridge and either Roger or Stuart Monks told me that before a Pink Floyd tour around then Dave Gilmour’s tech had brought in half a dozen brand new AVRI Strats to have the neck radiuses flattened and bigger frets fitted. If you’re regularly doing three and four step bends like DG and want an acceptable playing action, it is always going to be more achievable with a 9.5” rather than a 7.25” radius, and of course bigger frets.  
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    I've got 2 guitars, a 7.25" radius Strat, and a 12" radius Strat.

They feel very different but both are great.

As others have said, the 7.25 will choke out on big bends but other than that, it's lovely.

I had a 9.5" radius Strat in the past and it was a pretty happy medium. It will feel different to 7.25" though.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to