Beginner interface recommendations?

What's Hot
I'm looking for something that I can use to record some basic sketches in GarageBand (probably) with, and likely leverage an unused copy of HX Native that I have too, as well as a bunch of virtual synths etc. Mostly I'm looking for:
  • USB-C based
  • ¼ input(s) for guitar / bass
  • MIDI input(s) would be handy too so that I can add a keyboard controller at a later date.
  • Budget is <£200, anything more feels like utter overkill for my needs and skill-set!
I haven't decided on monitors yet, but will likely go back down the Yamaha HS-5/7 path as I was happy with them alongside a HX Floor system a few years back and they're easy to get hold of and a fair price.

Suggestions please, and thanks in advance! :)

p.s. I'm also considering a Line 6 POD Express / BOSS IR-2  / Katana Go as a practice tool & interface in one, but recognise the limitations of that route if so
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    I've been using an M-Audio  Air 192/6 for about a year without any problems  Instrument, MIDI and line level inputs all work well. 

I don't remember the exact price, but it was less than £200.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 988
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    You really can't go wrong with the Behringer UMC interfaces. You can get a 4 in 4 out (+2 monitor outs), with midi for £135.
    The Midas pre-amps are really quite good.
    Noise/latency, etc are up their with interfaces in the high end region. Saw a review recently and it beats the popular focusrite interfaces in most categories.
    Cheapest version with midi, is the UMC204 HD, with 2 inputs and 4 outputs + Midi at £85

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22206
    I'm looking for something that I can use to record some basic sketches in GarageBand (probably) with, and likely leverage an unused copy of HX Native that I have too, as well as a bunch of virtual synths etc. Mostly I'm looking for:
    • USB-C based
    • ¼ input(s) for guitar / bass
    • MIDI input(s) would be handy too so that I can add a keyboard controller at a later date.
    • Budget is <£200, anything more feels like utter overkill for my needs and skill-set!
    I haven't decided on monitors yet, but will likely go back down the Yamaha HS-5/7 path as I was happy with them alongside a HX Floor system a few years back and they're easy to get hold of and a fair price.

Suggestions please, and thanks in advance! :)

I took the IK Axe Solo overseas with me and it performed really well. The DI on it is a step up from the budget interfaces I've owned. If you can handle it not being USB-C, the inputs are great, it has MIDI, and I had no problems with latency at all on a fairly low spec Lenovo Ideapad 3 Ryzen 3 laptop. Is it beating my RME UCXII? No. Is it very good for the money? Yes.

The Axe One does most of this and is USB-C.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom