Copper Shielding Tape

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    Thanks. My question is more about whether to use copper tape or some other means of shielding. Being all flat, a pickguard looks like an ideal candidate for aluminium foil and glue stick! 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11145
    tFB Trader
    Graphite shielding paint is work of the devil ... more hassle cleaning the crap up ... or sealing the surface than a bit of copper tape, I can't even be persuaded that it's as effective as copper. I've actually never cut myself once shielding cavities - can't say the smae for making copper ground planes for fibre bottomed pickups mind ... my DNA is all over those :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7804
    I don't suppose there would be any harm in using aluminium oven foil on the underside of the pickguard rather than self-adhesive copper tape.  I take it you were asking about covering the entire underside because it would be easier to roll out and flatten the foil, apply glue to the scratchplate, flop it down onto the foil so you don't have any wrinkles, and trim around the perimeter and pickup holes after the glue dried?  That would certainly be easier than trying to stick a floppy flattened section to a selected area of the scratchplate.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    BillDL said:
    I don't suppose there would be any harm in using aluminium oven foil on the underside of the pickguard rather than self-adhesive copper tape.  I take it you were asking about covering the entire underside because it would be easier to roll out and flatten the foil, apply glue to the scratchplate, flop it down onto the foil so you don't have any wrinkles, and trim around the perimeter and pickup holes after the glue dried?  That would certainly be easier than trying to stick a floppy flattened section to a selected area of the scratchplate.
    Yup, that was my idea.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 556
    Would copper tape underneath my Telecaster pickguard help reduce the static noise from my picking hand?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73092
    Would copper tape underneath my Telecaster pickguard help reduce the static noise from my picking hand?
    Possibly. Worth a try if it’s annoying you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks, I’ve ordered some, so will try it.
    Every Tele I’ve had from a Player to a Custom Shop has done it, so it might be just me. Lol
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7129
    tFB Trader
    Make sure that the copper foil is connected to earth though, a small strip on the body connecting it to the control plate will do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1377
    https://youtu.be/JwGUtcecEN0?si=h65t5zr-n7QECs4i

At 1:28 in this video he removes the shielding as he doesn’t like how it sounds. 

I’ve seen this opined before but I’m not sure what the science behind it would be other than that someone might expect there to be buzz.
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 157
    It worked on my strat, I used copper slug tape and earthed it.

Ian

At 1:28 in this video he removes the shielding as he doesn’t like how it sounds. 

I’ve seen this opined before but I’m not sure what the science behind it would be other than that someone might expect there to be buzz.
    Excessive shielding adds capacitance which can dull the tone, although it has to be very close to the signal path to have any noticeable effect - shielding the insides of Strat pickup covers (sometimes advised/done) definitely does, so I would avoid that. Shielding a control cavity doesn't, because not only is the separation from the conductors much greater, the total length of wire is very small, unlike a pickup coil. Long lengths of the typical very thin shielded cable used in far-east guitars also does dull the tone - usually simply trimming it to the minimum sensible length makes an audible difference, despite the difference being pretty small in capacitance terms.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BodBod Frets: 1349
    inewham said:
    Cheap, thin and pliable 
    Also my Tinder bio.  Except for the thin bit...
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2517
    I shield the pickup cavity in my Strat as I tend to use the bridge pickup with quite bright single coils, and the extra capacitance tames the ice-pick a little. I also play regularly somewhere that has a hearing aid loop so I need all the shielding I can get.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9782
    Yorkie said:
    Thanks. My question is more about whether to use copper tape or some other means of shielding. Being all flat, a pickguard looks like an ideal candidate for aluminium foil and glue stick! 
    I have used spray contact adhesive and kitchen foil on a couple of guitars. No need for it on my current Strat as I have fitted a thin aluminium shielding plate under the pickguard - although I haven’t bothered shielding the cavities on that one, it’s quiet enough.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2045
    I ended up using the copper tape that @TrentGuitars recommended. It was very easy to apply and didn't cut me at all. I did solder tags on the joins just to make sure, but it worked perfectly.

Thank you
    strtdv said:
    .... I also play regularly somewhere that has a hearing aid loop so I need all the shielding I can get.
    That's something I haven't actually given much thought.  It's highly improbable that I will ever play in a church, but I know there are quite a lot of churches these days with those hearing aid loops installed and I would guess that more halls, theatres, and auditoria/ums will end up having them fitted.
    BillDL said:

That's something I haven't actually given much thought.  It's highly improbable that I will ever play in a church, but I know there are quite a lot of churches these days with those hearing aid loops installed and I would guess that more halls, theatres, and auditoria/ums will end up having them fitted.
    If it's an induction loop, shielding is of only limited help - you really need hum-cancelling pickups, which if they're single coils means either stacked humbuckers, or RWRP pairs if you only use the two-pickup sound.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll bear that in mind when I give up the booze, fags, loose women, and swearing and join a "praise group" in my retirement  :)