Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Fretwired said:
    As expected the left hate it .. The Tower of London poppies are fake, trite and inward-looking – a Ukip-style memorial

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/oct/28/tower-of-london-poppies-ukip-remembrance-day

Looks good to me ...

Daily Mailesque click-bait, just coming from the other direction.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    My great granddad's died because they would rather see me comfy at home, than poncing about in some stinky city waiting to get nail bombed by ISIS and receive some patronising speech from an MP or two.  Besides, my great granddads had no choice, they had no vote and they had no say in whether they wanted to go to the trenches, they had to.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    edited October 2014

Nationalism and patriotism when it suits eh.

To well up with pseudo self induced tears when you don't know any of them is the biggest insult ever I reckon. 

It should stay with the military, with friends and family.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe you are confusing a sense of nationalism and patriotism with empathy and humanity?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

What is empathy and humanity?  Narcissist emotions for the emotionally self centred.

Empathy and humanity is being helpful everyday in everyway and always considering others.

You can't have empathy for people that are no longer here.

• GassageGassage Frets: 31119
    edited October 2014
    Sambostar said:

What is empathy and humanity?  Narcissist emotions for the emotionally self centred.

Empathy and humanity is being helpful everyday in everyway and always considering others.

@sambostar Here's a thought: there's a delicious paradox that the very fact you can moan about this on a forum publically is testimony to the actions of the people you refuse to respect. So yes, you can empathise

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Sambostar said:

What's a Frenchman? Someone from Japan.  What's a circle? A shape with four sides.  Both equally random statements.  Someone can fake empathy and humanity maybe, but to actually feel them and act on them is the opposite to being emotionally self centred.  If feeling empathy and being self-centred were the same thing then Aspergers sufferers would find life and negotiating society a lot easier.

Sambostar said:

No that's humanity - arguably.  Empathy and humanity are not the same thing.  You could say that a lot of times empathy is a motivator for acts of humanity but not always.  There are plenty of brilliant surgeons who are clearly psychopathic.  Despite helping people everyday you could argue that their lack of empathy is part of their brilliance to not become distracted by emotional attachment when working.  Equally there are plenty of people who do humanitarian work not because they are motivated by empathy, but because their faith or way of life compels them to.

If non involvement or distance denies people the right to act as empathy is solely a product of self-centred emotional and narcissism then we would fall into not the what you say is humanity, but a dog eat dog culture where those that have keep and those who don't die.  As I have said before other than charitable acts and campaigns, race equality, women's rights. gay rights etc. are not solely propelled by those who have something to gain but because of the empathy of others leading to support for their rights to not be treated differently (or treated with humanity).  If empathy was a narcissistic reactions we would do everything we could to solely better our own situation.

Sambostar said:

I think you may be confusing sympathy and empathy.  Of course you can empathise with anyone's situation alive or dead (if you have the ability), there are no time factors on it.  It is possibly the most important factor in causing humanity to progress and societies and civilisations to grow.

In this particular case you are probably missing the main point that large amount of money raised goes into supporting those who are actually still alive.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited October 2014

I sense an argument brewing

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Get the popcorn out, then.

Actually, whilst RHC is on the money with his detailed explanations, I strongly suspect that Sambostar on the other hand, probably couldn't give a shit about them.

• Actually, whilst RHC is on the money with his detailed explanations, I strongly suspect that Sambostar on the other hand, probably couldn't give a shit about them.
    C'mon we all know that but it doesn't make it any less fun.
    edited October 2014

There is no such thing as society.

I just feel that war should be fought between leaders, corporations and bankers, not blokes on £300 a week.

The poppy doesn't glamorize it, it is a symbol of solidarity I guess, but many jump on board for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, we have to remember the sacrifice, so it doesn't happen again, but it will.

As for most people in society being empathetic...give me a break.  Most people call themselves empathetic but reality is a long way away from their head.

The problem with war and peace is that you get caught up in the solidarity for your fellow man and you all get blown to pieces.  The horrors should be forgotten.  And then yous all righteous whilst playing your shot 'em up war games on the PC.

What next RHC, you gonna send me the white feather?

Maybe we should get a public health warning on every political party campaign, like on the back of a pack of fags, photos of the reality they cause.

You see?

:D

Hey, I mentioned a few things that referred to RHC post,,,,,vaguely.  What did he write anyway?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014

OK, good anyway.  Money going to people who need it.  Prefer Help for Heroes and I still think the politicians and Monarchy jump on board the poppy appeal and it does smack of nationalism and an old England, where people knew their place.  If it was me, In wouldn't want sympathy or empathy or remembrance, I would want some cash so I could do my best to get rehabilitated as the army doesn't do anywhere near enough.  So cash is a good thing.  People in wheelchairs don't need sympathy, they need cash.  I couldn't even begin to sympathese with the trauma they have been through anyway.

Even the title 'Blood Swept land and seas of red' is romantic...FFS.

• My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I had a day in London yesterday so I though I'd pop down to have a look. It was absolutely swamped. There was no sense of decorum or remembrance at all. Just a load of pushing and shoving so people could get their selfies. I'm sure it'll be very solemn on Sunday 9th but at the moment it's mashed at Tower Hill with a load of people using loud hailers to direct the crowds.

• monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I've had a small involvement in this project and the saddest thing is the Maths: 888246 poppies at £25 each = over £22 million. 10% split between 6 charities = 2.2 million. That leaves £20 million to cover production costs and profit..…… there's some very happy investors this remembrance day