Jet Guitars JS-400 stock pickups

What's Hot
paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
I've been eyeing up a Jet JS-400 S type for use as a backup/beater guitar.

From those who have owned/played any Jet S types - how do you rate the stock pickups on the lower end models?

The 400 has a HB in the bridge and single coil neck and middle.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 259
    I have a JS-300 and it's fine for me. If anything I'd change the pots if I used it often enough, but the pickups are fine.

I suspect you can try one out and send back if it's not up to scratch.

Overall it's a great guitar, especially for the money.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7845
    edited April 9
    I found the guitar well made, tuners a bit stiff but otherwise perfect near perfect. I did dress 3 or 4 frets and give a fret polish as the tops were a bit rough.
    None of those I consider to be issues considering the cost.

The pickups are quite bad IMO. I replaced them immediately with a set of Bloodstones HSS. Iron gear, Guitarfetish(GFS) or Toneriders will be a definite improvement. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Great guitars for such low money.  I wasn’t into the stock electrics and found a loom and pickups from a player series. Very cool.  
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    edited April 9
    I've got two now, the JT 300 and the js 700. Both really impressive guitars, to be honest the quality is on par with each other even though the JT was only £159. Pickups are fine in both, really like the Tele bridge the neck I'm not really sure what I want from it yet but it's a little dull. 

Both very good guitars regardless of price.

Here's my 14 year old playing the jt300 via a nux mighty pro on the bridge pickup. He reckons it's out of tune:-)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4220
    chor808 said:
    I've got two now, the JT 300 and the js 700. Both really impressive guitars, to be honest the quality is on par with each other even though the JT was only £159. Pickups are fine in both, really like the Tele bridge the neck I'm not really sure what I want from it yet but it's a little dull. 

Here's my 14 year old playing the jt300 via a nux mighty pro on the bridge pickup. He reckons it's out of tune:-)

That's mighty impressive! I've literally been playing longer than he's been alive and there's no way I could play most of that.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    chor808 said:

That's mighty impressive! I've literally been playing longer than he's been alive and there's no way I could play most of that.
    I'll pass on the compliment, Him and his mate are playing three or four hours a day, I'm at the point of removing his guitars before his GCSEs :-). He's already miles better than me, something to do with being young I guess..
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    500k pots as stock, the ceramic single coils are warm, fluffy and a bit shit.
    I swapped out for alnico 3 and 4 neck and middle, left the HB in for now. 
    great guitar which now sounds like a strat. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    We’ve got a JS300 in the house. It’s a really well put together and good playing guitar but yeah the pickups are a bit “mid” I reckon a set of Wilkinson’s or Ironstones would be a cheap solve though 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1961
    chor808 said:

I have the strat in that colour and that model in sunburst. I cannot play anything like as good as that with them though. I find the neck on the Tele far too thin,even with smaller hands,but find the strat neck ok. 
  • I have a JS400 so can comment. They are surprisingly solid, the single coils especially for cheapo ceramic jobbies sounded pretty good. The bridge humbucker can get a bit muddy but nothing outrageous.

I did end up replacing all the pickups in mine but only because I had the parts lying around and curiosity got the better of me - realistically the stock pickups were just as good.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.