Open mic nights

What's Hot
BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 298
I'm soon to be going some open mic nights for the first time. I want to use my Tele into the PA. I have a Joyo pedal with jack sockets but I'm thinking of getting a Quilter which has an XLR out. Can open mic nights generally accommodate either type of connection? Any other tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9782
    Depends on what backline is provided. It varies quite a bit. I’d take normal jack for the first time if you’re unsure what they’ve got. Also, be aware that taking too many pedals is often frowned upon - time spent setting up is eating into other people’s playing time. You need to tuned up and ready to go with minimum of faff.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2444
    If they're expecting people to bring electric guitars, I'd have thought they'll have an amp you can go into - see if you can check with the organisers what backline is provided, as Hal's suggested.

Your Tele straight into the PA is unlikely to work by itself as the PA will probably be expecting line-level signals, not instrument level, and your guitar will sound thin and weak. You will need some kind of amp/cab sim going into the PA at line level for it to sound like you'd expect an electric guitar to sound.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10892
    tFB Trader
    I keep one of these just for straight into PA/desk emergencies (handy for other stuff too) it has cab simulation and takes up bugger all room as well as being only £30 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23394
    edited April 9
    This is bringing back memories of someone I saw years ago (on TV, I think, but it might've been live) - a stand-up comedian, but he had a Tele with a Korg Pandora (remember those?) taped to the front of it, which I guess plugged straight into a PA or a basic amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1031
    As mentioned I would see if you can speak to the person running it in advance. If not definitely keep it as simple as possible and be ready to go without faff.
    edited April 9
    Although this is specifically about blues jams SOME of this is well worth a read…

http://www.leytonstonebluesjam.co.uk/essential_fyi.shtml
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
    HAL9000 said:
    Although this is specifically about blues jams SOME of this is well worth a read…

I like the cut of his jib!
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:

The very Jam in the very suburb I have attended in the past (though not for quite a few years) ... and very friendly it is too. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 812
    edited April 9
    HAL9000 said:
    Depends on what backline is provided. It varies quite a bit. I’d take normal jack for the first time if you’re unsure what they’ve got. Also, be aware that taking too many pedals is often frowned upon - time spent setting up is eating into other people’s playing time. You need to tuned up and ready to go with minimum of faff.
    This. If they have a guitar amp, pedals etc I’d definitely just use their setup, at least at first - they’ll probably have spent dozens or hundreds of nights dialling it in for meat-and-potatoes clean, crunch and lead sounds (maybe delay) that are halfway decent with whatever guitar anyone plugs in, plus crucially the levels will be balanced with the band.

If you take your own preamp the hosts might not be familiar with it and ultimately it’s them that will be dialling it in through the PA, plus they’re putting their whole sound balance at the mercy of the small box with knobs on near your foot. It might end up sounding completely different to what you’re used to anyway. 

Plus, it’s a useful experience having to plug into an unfamiliar rig and just go with it. 

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1501
    Philly_Q said:
    This is bringing back memories of someone I saw years ago (on TV, I think, but it might've been live) - a stand-up comedian, but he had a Tele with a Korg Pandora (remember those?) taped to the front of it, which I guess plugged straight into a PA or a basic amp.
    I had a Pandora, great wee unit, fit in the wee space under the neck on most cases. Had some beats built in. 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3157
    Had a similar problem last year ish, thread here https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/246874/one-gig-only-award-jd10-content-now-a-voyage-of-adventure-joyo-american-and-sansamp-gt2.  Bottom line is if your Joyo is the American just take extra Jack lead you’ll be grand
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5420
    Every open mic I've been to can cope with either XLR or jack inputs but most of them expect acoustic acts so just throw jack leads about.

A bigger issue might be the availability of mains electricity by the playing area. Whenever I take an electric I always have something that can run from batteries if need be, even if I also have mains-powered options.

All of that said, it does depend on the venue. Some of them are kitted up for full bands, some anticipate solo acoustic acts. Personally I'd generally go as a listener rather than a player the first time, unless you already know the form. Or just be prepared to be flexible.

Whatever you do, have it ready so you can get on and off again quickly without being a pain in the arse taking up half your time messing about with gear :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    On a slightly different note…

If this is your first open mic I assume you’re probably not that used to playing for an audience, so…

Keep it simple, and play well within your abilities. It’s far better to play a simple piece well than to play a difficult piece badly.

If you’re comfortable with it try to interact with your audience. Doesn’t have to be too clever. Even something as simple as a ‘Good evening’ helps build a relationship between you and the audience.

The only person who will get upset if you make a mistake will be you. If you do make a mistake don’t dwell on it - the audience certainly won’t. They want you to succeed.

Above all - enjoy yourself.
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 298
    Thanks for all the helpful, interesting replies. I'm going to try out my Joyo pedal which is the AC Tone model. I'm feeling that jack leads and battery power is the way to go. I'm a little concerned about the pedal as I've never tried it through a p.a. and setting up the EQ and gain will be guesswork although I can fiddle with it through a clean amp. I'm looking for an edge of breakup sound and don't really need anything else.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4228
    I keep one of these just for straight into PA/desk emergencies (handy for other stuff too) it has cab simulation and takes up bugger all room as well as being only £30 
    These are excellent I’ve got the British  but there is every flavour from Vox to Marshall to fender & Mesa 
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 298
    HAL9000 said:

If this is your first open mic I assume you’re probably not that used to playing for an audience, so…

Keep it simple, and play well within your abilities. It’s far better to play a simple piece well than to play a difficult piece badly.

If you’re comfortable with it try to interact with your audience. Doesn’t have to be too clever. Even something as simple as a ‘Good evening’ helps build a relationship between you and the audience.

The only person who will get upset if you make a mistake will be you. If you do make a mistake don’t dwell on it - the audience certainly won’t. They want you to succeed.

I've played in pub bands for over 40 years just never done open mics before. I go to a few jam nights but they always have backline.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10368
    Just use their backline. They won't want you messing about with other stuff for your 3 minute song. 
    tFB Trader
    Just use their backline. They won't want you messing about with other stuff for your 3 minute song. 
    If they have one ... popped along as a watcher to a local open mic night locally a while back ... and they just had a PA as they mostly had acoustic artists. 

HAL9000 said:

I've played in pub bands for over 40 years just never done open mics before. I go to a few jam nights but they always have backline.
    Apologies @Barquentine - I made the assumption based on you saying ‘open mics for the first time’ and, well, you know what they say about ‘assume’…