Please help me value my strat!

What's Hot
Robben3007Robben3007 Frets: 4
edited April 10 in Guitar
Hi all!

So I've recently picked up this strat - it's a 2009 50s style road worn but looks like it's got a new pickguard. In pretty good nick - never can tell with relic guitars.

Opened it up to find a loose set of pickups in the case (tex mex I believe), low and behold, it's got some pretty interesting pickups installed! Please see picture, but they are Lindy Fralin Woodstock 69s.

Not much of a clue how to value the pickups either, whether it's better to sell the fralins seperately or whatnot, but unfortunately I'm not getting on with the v shaped neck, so I think it will have to go.

Any advice would be great, looking forward to hearing what you all think!

https://postimg.cc/gallery/KSsqK2j6

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10892
    tFB Trader
    You will do far better to sell the guitar with it's factory pickups in and sell the Fralins separately 'upgraded' guitars never fetch the price folks think they should. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Robben3007Robben3007 Frets: 4
    Yeah I've heard that before - it's definitely an option - cheers :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1179
    Most people use imgur and post the link.  Imgur doesn't work for me so I use https://postimages.org/

So the tex mex set are the original ones installed from factory?  I concur with above post.  Sell the Fralins separately and put the originals back on the guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Robben3007Robben3007 Frets: 4

Did that work? Many thanks :D
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12465
    Roadworns seem to sell for £650 - £750 I would say, plus what you get for the Lindy Fralins.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14563
    tFB Trader
    The issue with 'upgrade' pick ups, with regards to pricing, is that many see the additional cost of £250 for a set of Fralin's as a £250 upgrade - But they are wrong

a) If you buy a new set of Fralin's for around £250, then a used set is around £150/180 - So at best you've got a £150/180 upgrade

but b) You've taken out a set of Strat pick-ups that would easily fetch £50 a set, potential £80

Therefore at best the upgrade is £100

I think it makes it a nicer package and many will appreciate the upgrade to Fralin's - But it is never a £250 ish upgrade  
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1179
    Plus people who are looking for a Roadworn have done their research and arre expecting tex mex. By selling it with the Fralins on board you'd be assuming everybody likes Fralins. What if they don't? Then you've just lost potential buyers. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12003
    edited April 10
    I bought my 2008 road worn (rosewood board) with Fender Custom Shop 69 pick up, “better” pickguard and original pickguard included.  Unfortunately not original pick ups.  I paid £720 from eBay.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom