Suggestions for a reasonably priced pedal for metal distortion

What's Hot
AllThumbsAllThumbs Frets: 18
My son is making great progress learning the guitar, mainly metal and especially Metallica.  He's enjoying the Modern setting on my Yamaha THR10 (modelling a Mesa amp I think) but could do with a pedal to switch from clean to distorted mid-song.  Any suggestions for a cheapish (ideally under £50) pedal?  I've got a bit lost in my googling/youtubing - so many conflicting views and it seems like there's not an obvious candidate.  A lot of people say Boss Metal Zone but others seem to hate it.  The EHX Metal Muff looks pretty good but I get the impression it's full-on even with the gain down and a pedal that can do AC/DC tones as well would be nice.  Am I asking too much?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    The Boss Metal Zone is a versatile pedal, with good EQ controls. It benefits from being well dialled in, and it operates more like a pre-amp so works well plugged in to amp’s effects loop (but this isn’t essential IMHO). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    Boss Metal Zone, or if you want really cheap, Behringer Ultra Metal - it's a copy of the Boss. Personally I thought the Behringer sounded very marginally better! But I don't play metal, so I may be coming at it wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141
    Joyo Chopper-z

It's a clone of the Horizon Preamp, which is built upon the MXR EVH5150 Overdrive. Both cost around £200.

The Chopper-Z can be had for around £50 or lower. It sounds very close to the £200 pedals and has a good noise gate. 

• LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 134
    TC Electronic Fangs. 

Also - try the Thomann Stompenberg experience. You can hook up your laptop to your amp and play through them.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Zoom TriMetal was my second favourite for chugga chugga stuff. The MetalZone is excellent provided you don't max the dirt, and do play with the EQ. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AllThumbsAllThumbs Frets: 18
    Thanks for the input, folks!  Metal Zone seems to be in the lead so far...
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1098
    Another vote for the Behringer Ultra Metal (UM300). It's a Boss Metal Zone but cheaper. For your sons purposes and level its perfect.

I also vote for the Mooer Black Secret, which is their Rat clone. It's awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2969
    edited April 10
    Can't believe nobody has said Arion Metal Master!

...of course neither are heavy metal, if you want that you need a Sabbra Cadabra.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FezFez Frets: 526
    Marshall Jackhammer
    Don't touch that dial.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    The Metal Muff is probably too much, as you said at the top. I think it actually sounds really good but it doesn't go down as far as AC/DC gain levels. It's a fairly hard rock sound at minimum. 
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 273
    Cheap - Behringer HM300 or the more expensive "real" version Boss HM-2. 

BTW if you stick a TC Spark boost in front of an HM-2 things get pretty biblical, specially with a nice delay after it.  
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • steersteer Frets: 1189
    Rat
  • AllThumbsAllThumbs Frets: 18
    Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.  Will a Rat do the mid-scoopy sort of sound he's enjoying from the modern setting on the THR10?
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4141

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    My watch out is that when I borrowed a THR 10 I found it didn't work well with any of my distortion pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HT986M2HT986M2 Frets: 104
    edited April 18
    AllThumbs said:
    Thanks again to everyone for the ideas.  Will a Rat do the mid-scoopy sort of sound he's enjoying from the modern setting on the THR10?  
    No. It hasn’t got enough on its own. 

A Metal Zone will be hit or miss. It can get the tone you are looking for, but the EQ is so sensitive it can be hard to dial in. 

If your kid likes the metal tone already in the THR10, why not buy a Bluetooth midi footswitch instead so he can change channels mid-song?
    Trading feedback available here
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Palmer Solid Metal 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1098
    edited April 18
    I posted this on another thread but I'll recommend it here since you're looking for a metal pedal. Buy a used metal zone (about £50), snip off the C35 capacitor (5 second job), sit back and enjoy the ride. I just did this the other day and it's awesome. It's called the Waza mod because it turns the old Metal zone into the newer Waza version.

Between that mod and the stock EQ flexibility it'll do all the ODs and distortion pedals you'll ever need (inc. RAT, tubescreamer, even Klon) . I guarantee you'll be tempted to keep it for yourself  

The pedal show guys themselves were amazed

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    AllThumbs said:
    I don't think so, a Rat is pretty middy. And also watch out for what @monquixote said about the THR- I haven't tried one, but if it doesn't take pedals well, you might need to rethink the whole pedal thing!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    AllThumbs said:
    I don't think so, a Rat is pretty middy. And also watch out for what @monquixote said about the THR- I haven't tried one, but if it doesn't take pedals well, you might need to rethink the whole pedal thing!

Just putting my 2p in regarding the pedals some of the pedals that have been suggested are not right for Metalica Recto type sounds.

Boss HM2 is great, but it's swedish chainsaw death metal
    Rat is great, but it doesn't sound anything like Metallica into a clean amp.

Lots of good options suggested in terms of: Jackhammer, Metal Zone (Hard to dial in!), 5150. I'd also add Shredmaster, Super Badass and Riot to the mix. 

I'm considering selling a JuanSolo Riot clone for not very much if you are interested