Reverb selling woes...

What's Hot
PhiltheguitarPhiltheguitar Frets: 13
edited April 10 in Off Topic
I decided to sign up for a Reverb account to sell a few pedals recently. 

Almost immediately upon listing my 3 items I was inundated with spam messages from chancers clearly trying to basically steal from me. 

Not a good start. 

Then a pedal sells - my TC Electronic Sub N up Mini- and I'm 'paid' immediately. Great stuff, I think to myself, and off I go to get it packaged up and posted.

As I was trying to attract buyers, I offered free postage. Trying to save money I opted for Royal Mail 2nd Class, but without tracking number (big mistake! ).
Upon posting the pedal, I message the buyer - No reply. 
I send more messages over the days,  no replies. 
About 10 days pass, no news, and, no money for me. 

I finally reach out to Reverb Customer service - he says he's not received the pedal. 

I'm fuming  - why is he not replying to me, but is apparently communicating with them? 

I'm blatantly getting scammed here and I'm not having it.

(I do accept that I've probably messed up my end by not getting postage with tracking) 

Anyone with any experience in this area please? 

(Apologies for my terrible writing, I've just had a 24hr journey back from holiday where I got food poisoning and I'm a little bit delirious! )

EDIT - REMOVED DETAILS OF BUYER
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2460
    Unfortunately you're probably stuffed since you sent it without tracking, there's no way of knowing/proving where it is.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yep, noob error by me. I've never ever had an issue selling things on here, and I think I got too trusting in people, forgetting that Reverb is not the same as Fretboard! 
    Still, what would the game plan be of this guy then? 
    Hope that one day someone doesn't provide tracking, then strike? 
    Maybe he genuinely hasn't received it..?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited April 10
    Yep, noob error by me. I've never ever had an issue selling things on here, and I think I got too trusting in people, forgetting that Reverb is not the same as Fretboard! 
    There’s every chance he didn’t receive it. I used Royal Mail tracked recently and they  still ‘lost’ the parcel. I’d take his name and location off your post as well. If he’s done no wrong he won’t appreciate being flagged as a troublesome buyer. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
    Yep, noob error by me. I've never ever had an issue selling things on here, and I think I got too trusting in people, forgetting that Reverb is not the same as Fretboard! 
    There’s every chance he didn’t receive it. I used Royal Mail tracked recently and they  still ‘lost’ the parcel. I’d take his name and location off your post as well. If he’s done no wrong he won’t appreciate being flagged as a troublesome buyer. 
    Yes, fair play. Done. 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1134
    I sell a lot on eBay and a little on Reverb, and I've very occasionally had stuff go missing with Royal Mail. I always send everything by Royal Mail Tracked 48 and take photos of the item next to the shipping label (bought online) with the packaging, and a further photo of the wrapped parcel with the label, and then another photo of me physically dropping the parcel (if it's of low value) at the Parcel Postbox. For anything worth over £20 I always take to the Post Office.

In your case, it's odd that the buyer didn't contact you before flagging non-receipt to Reverb, and even more suspicious that he's blanking you. As you suspect, he's probably a robbing CU Next Tuesday.
  • I sell a lot on eBay and a little on Reverb, and I've very occasionally had stuff go missing with Royal Mail. I always send everything by Royal Mail Tracked 48 and take photos of the item next to the shipping label (bought online) with the packaging, and a further photo of the wrapped parcel with the label, and then another photo of me physically dropping the parcel (if it's of low value) at the Parcel Postbox. For anything worth over £20 I always take to the Post Office.

In your case, it's odd that the buyer didn't contact you before flagging non-receipt to Reverb, and even more suspicious that he's blanking you. As you suspect, he's probably a robbing CU Next Tuesday.
    Oh for sure, he's almost certainly robbing me.
  • KultscharKultschar Frets: 46
    edited April 10
    Sold a CXM1978 Reverb pedal in the summer on Reverb under the Excellent condition grade and included pictures of where a scratch was on the side of the pedal.   On receipt of the pedal he claims not as described as he wanted a "new looking one", I told him that he should have looked for one that was categorised as new or mint.   He seemed to pipe down after that only to then a few days later say the pedal was unusable as one of the settings has loads of hiss - it was pretty obvious after this second claim that he had buyers remorse and he demanded a refund.  In the end I just got the pedal back off him as im sure Reverb would have sided with him based on similar crap ive dealt with on eBay.   The pedal arrived back (thankfully not sabotaged) and of course there was no hiss - I sent the idiot a message and he never replied back as I expected.       Ive never had issues on a forum such as this so will stick to selling on places like here etc but of course smaller audience.

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    edited April 10
    I've sold hundreds of items on eBay. Royal Mail have not lost a single one in so many years. Only Evri have ever done that, and I lost my money because it turns out the fine print on Evri's insurance policy makes it nigh impossible for senders to claim for lost or damaged parcels. I'm gonna say your buyer must likely received the pedal. The fact he's gone quiet speaks volumes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the responses everyone. I am going to pursue this with Reverb, though I know it's almost a certainty that I won't get anywhere. 

Perhaps I'll share my email chain with Kevin from Reverb...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27639
    Philtheguitar said:

though I know it's almost a certainty that I won't get anywhere. 
    Unless Reverb grant you some sort of goodwill gesture, it’s not “almost” a certainty.
    ;)

Can you prove that you sent the pedal?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9583
    Always ALWAYS use Special Delivery :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
    TTony said:
    Philtheguitar said:

though I know it's almost a certainty that I won't get anywhere. 
    Unless Reverb grant you some sort of goodwill gesture, it’s not “almost” a certainty.
    ;)

Can you prove that you sent the pedal?
    I got a receipt for every item of any size or value that I have ever sent by Royal Mail via a post office, recorded delivery or not.
    Kept the receipt until delivery was confirmed then got rid.
    Such a receipt must count as proof of postage?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27639
    It’s about the best that the sender can do.

It proves that something was sent, though, if you cast your mind back to the famed “photographer”, you could post anything and still get a receipt.
    ;)

Which really just highlights the risks - to both buyers and sellers - in online marketplace transactions.  There are so many ways in which one party could scam the other, or either/both could think they’ve been scammed when a genuine problem - like lost packages - occurs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
    TTony said:
    It’s about the best that the sender can do.

It proves that something was sent, though, if you cast your mind back to the famed “photographer”, you could post anything and still get a receipt.
    ;)

Which really just highlights the risks - to both buyers and sellers - in online marketplace transactions.  There are so many ways in which one party could scam the other, or either/both could think they’ve been scammed when a genuine problem - like lost packages - occurs.
    I agree, that's why I would send valuable items by special or recorded delivery.
     I was just making the point that the receipt has details of the tariff for sending, thus giving an approximate size & weight of an item. Might help if a sympathetic agent was looking into the case.  Clutching at straws I know, but worth a try :+1: 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    I think even items sent via Royal Mail 2nd Class are insured up to £20. The PO receipt has a unique number which should at least inform you whether the item has been delivered.
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    I sell quite a bit on ebay and a bit less on reverb. I use 2nd class parcels for quite a few low value items. The receipt you get has a number you can enter in tracking - it doesn't let you "track" the parcel, but if you keep checking it, it does show when it's delivered. It's saved me a couple of times from lowlifes wanting the item and their money back. Ebay have always found in my favour. You can enter that number into "tracking" on both Ebay and Reverb. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    I sell a lot on eBay and a little on Reverb, and I've very occasionally had stuff go missing with Royal Mail. I always send everything by Royal Mail Tracked 48 and take photos of the item next to the shipping label (bought online) with the packaging, and a further photo of the wrapped parcel with the label, and then another photo of me physically dropping the parcel (if it's of low value) at the Parcel Postbox. For anything worth over £20 I always take to the Post Office.

What a sad reflection of modern society that you have to do all that @ElectricXII ;
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    I thought that you had to provide a tracking number to get paid by Reverb at all, so would make it a necessity. Sorry that you have encountered a problem sale.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Unless I’m selling to a known regular on here I always assume there’s someone waiting to rip me off over a sale. So take as many precautions as you can; like sending things tracked and properly insured, also take photos of the parcel and keep the postage receipts. You still won’t always beat the scammers but at least it gives you a better chance of getting some or all of your money back. 
  • OK, humble pie time. I'm not being 'robbed' or scammed - there's been a miscommunication and we're working to resolve it. I chatted with the customer and he seems pretty genuine. Most of the responsibility lies with me on this one - hey, every day is a school day I guess. 

Remains to be seen if the pedal ever makes it to him or not, and if I end up being out of pocket, but ultimately I just want to put this all behind me now! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom