I don't know whether to follow or block this youtuber....

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1148
edited April 11 in Music
Smiling while playing a Dimebag solo like it's nothing.  The arrogance   She's not even looking at the fretboard most of the time.  She staring at the viewer as if to say "piece of cake". 

I've been playing guitar a long time and I still can't nail that solo even while looking at the fretboard lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28715
    How can you be smiling while playing a Dimebag solo like it's nothing?  
    Practice? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    Sporky said:
    How can you be smiling while playing a Dimebag solo like it's nothing?  
    Practice? 
    Wash your mouth out with soap and water!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23113
    Kayla Kent!  She's great. 

Have you watched the one where she sent something to Paul Gilbert and he sent a video back saying she should change her left hand position?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18995
    Post edit broke the video link  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1148
    edited April 11
    Philly_Q said:

Have you watched the one where she sent something to Paul Gilbert and he sent a video back saying she should change her left hand position?
    Yea I watched that last night.  It was on her Q&A video about things she regretted when she first started learning.  She sent him a video asking for help to improve her melody lines, composition, or something, and all he did was critique how her left hand is holding the neck. Then she threw in snippets of how her "bad" left hand technique is still there but she can shred like Dimebag.  Hilarious but left me feeling sympathetic for her AND PG.

If that story is accurate then I'm sorry but that's inexcusable from PG.  Shame cos he always strikes me as such a nice bloke who wouldn't do anything malicious.  I'd love to hear his side of that story.  There's gotta be a rational explanation.
    edited April 11

At the 3:30 mark
    Post edit broke the video link  ;)
    Thanks for the heads up.  Fixed it! (hopefully)
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    It's not her left hand technique that needs attention as much as her tone. 
    That is absolutely atrocious. 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4203
    Muscle memory is a lovely thing, j/s :)
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1504
    She’s looks -  bored? 
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1306
    deffo block her.
    She has one of those false kim kardiashian voices that melodically croaks up and down which gets right on my hampton. 
    And she plays a kramer with cereal packet stickers on it ffs.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CaseOfAce said:
    I think that's actually close to Dimebag's tone back in the Cowboys era. But i agree it's crap. Love Dimebag but hated his tone back then. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 742
    CaseOfAce said:
    She can't help how she speaks! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    edited April 11
    Block her because she does blow job eyes the entire way through every single one of her videos and it's incredibly awkward.
    3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23113
    Philly_Q said:

Yea I watched that last night.  It was on her Q&A video about things she regretted when she first started learning.  She sent him a video asking for help to improve her melody lines, composition, or something, and all he did was critique how her left hand is holding the neck. Then she threw in snippets of how her "bad" left hand technique is still there but she can shred like Dimebag.  Hilarious but left me feeling sympathetic for her AND PG.

If that story is accurate then I'm sorry but that's inexcusable from PG.  Shame cos he always strikes me as such a nice bloke who wouldn't do anything malicious.  I'd love to hear his side of that story.  There's gotta be a rational explanation.
    He's quite a nerdy, goofy sort of guy and he seems to be getting increasingly eccentric as he gets older.  He probably thought he was being really helpful.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3307
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

He's quite a nerdy, goofy sort of guy and he seems to be getting increasingly eccentric as he gets older.  He probably thought he was being really helpful.
    I think portraying him as a crusty old 'splainer was a bit harsh on PG there. The most he might have been guilty of was homing in on something he'd spotted which he thought could be helpful but was, unfortunately, off-track...probably happens a lot on the conveyor belt of online tuition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14575
    I'd block her.
    Ooh-er, missus! Fnar, fnar! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1462
    DefaultM said:
    Block her because she does blow job eyes the entire way through every single one of her videos and it's incredibly awkward.

plz explain.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1462
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

I think portraying him as a crusty old 'splainer was a bit harsh on PG there. The most he might have been guilty of was homing in on something he'd spotted which he thought could be helpful but was, unfortunately, off-track...probably happens a lot on the conveyor belt of online tuition.
    In the spirit of helpfulness, I also wonder if his advice was based more on repitition and protecting the wrist / tendons / whatever/ by using more "correct" posture than helping her technique per se. Young people have a way of not caring about preserving their bodies, because they are invincible. Correct technique can help mitigate against RSI / pain type isues after years of use.

I don't know cause I'm a philistine who's never had formal lessons. But a lot of advice I got when younger was about stuff like this. As I've aged it's made a lot more sense. I've got  different tremolo picking approaches: one for sustainability, my own crappy one for speed, a slightly different one for the top string and so on.

I do hope that there is a rational explaination or crossed wires. But I also choose to believe what she says casue the microagressions and regular shit women guitarists get is just undeserved.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong