Acoustic Plectrums

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 669
Any suggestions for plectrums that sound better on acoustics? Is there even such a thing?

I’m ideally looking for something around the same size as the red Jazz iii’s I use on my electric, but thinner. I’d always used the yellow Tortex .73mm previously on electric and acoustic, but after moving to the Jazz iii on electric I find the Tortex too big/long.

I’be just received the .73mm Tortex “Jazz iii” but alas they are the same size as the standards Tortex, only shaped closer to the Jazz as opposed to being the same overall size.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    edited April 11
    Some picks do indeed sound better on acoustic. 

I'm a recent convert to Wegen picks, but I don't know if he offers anything that thin.

The Dunlop Flow shape isn't as big as the standard Tortex shape. The Ultex material sounds good on acoustic and comes in various thicknesses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackdreamBlackdream Frets: 17
    Any suggestions for plectrums that sound better on acoustics? Is there even such a thing?

I’m ideally looking for something around the same size as the red Jazz iii’s I use on my electric, but thinner. I’d always used the yellow Tortex .73mm previously on electric and acoustic, but after moving to the Jazz iii on electric I find the Tortex too big/long.

I’be just received the .73mm Tortex “Jazz iii” but alas they are the same size as the standards Tortex, only shaped closer to the Jazz as opposed to being the same overall size.
    I’ve just bought some .73 tortex Jazz 3. They’re exactly the same size as the red ones.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PTO7FK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2461
    I like a flexible pickup for strumming so have always used .60 Dunlop grey nylon ones
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    I use regular yellow 73 Tortex on electric, but usually prefer Fender heavy tortoiseshell for acoustic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2778
    Something that totally depends on your guitar, the strings, how hard you strum and the humidity in the room on the day. And even the song!

i typically have several different types /thicknesses on any one gig and vary them as neede
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 669

I’ve just bought some .73 tortex Jazz 3. They’re exactly the same size as the red ones.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PTO7FK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
    This is what I thought I was buying (albeit yellow ones) so might give these a try.

Been reading/thinking about it and it totally makes sense to use a larger pick for acoustic when I’ll likely be strumming more and need a bit more flexibility in the pick.

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1091
    I started off using the Tortex 0.60mm gauge for acoustic but I switched to the yellow 0.73mm about 4-5 years ago and its about the right thickness for me. Nice clicky percussive strummy sound and enough for picking. Haven't used anything else since.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11947
    I've recently been experimenting i bought about £80 worth of dunlop packs

they do an acoustic guitar one

• KurtisKurtis Frets: 686
    I started off using the Tortex 0.60mm gauge for acoustic but I switched to the yellow 0.73mm about 4-5 years ago and its about the right thickness for me. Nice clicky percussive strummy sound and enough for picking. Haven't used anything else since.
    I actually try to avoid any clicky sounds. Stiff nylon for me. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1091
    Kurtis said:
    I actually try to avoid any clicky sounds. Stiff nylon for me. 
    Let me rephrase that, "not-overly-clicky" haha
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1883
    strtdv said:
    I like a flexible pickup for strumming so have always used .60 Dunlop grey nylon ones
    I agree re the flexibility comment here as I find a more flexible pick,regardless of thickness,tends to suit acoustics most. I find the non flexible types tend to sound too much like the material of the pick (plastic like) if you want and not allow the string sounds to ring out as much. Too much flexibility is also not great to my ears therefore the 0.6mm up to around 1mm I find best with the ideal being around the 0.73mm for me. While Black Mountain thumb picks are a good idea for thumb pickers I think their stiffness compounds their usefulness,in my limited experience.
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    I really like the Dunlop Primetones on acoustic. They are a like a similar version of a BlueChip which is popular with flatpickers but about 1/5th of the cost. The do come in the proper Jazz iii shape too. https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-jazz-iii-grip-pick-1-4mm/
    I really like the Dunlop Primetones on acoustic. They are a like a similar version of a BlueChip which is popular with flatpickers but about 1/5th of the cost. The do come in the proper Jazz iii shape too. https://www.jimdunlop.com/primetone-jazz-iii-grip-pick-1-4mm/
    I have some of those too in a thinner sized example.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    Anyone tried the buffalo horn pics from Clifford Essex?
    Briefly reading online the reviews are extremely negative. Not hard wearing and 'like Ivory' is another review. I'd like to think there is no such thing as an Ivory pick but I'm not so naive to also believe there isn't.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 212
    edited April 12

I quite like them, but they do wear. I have the CE100 and Triad, the same shape but different thicknesses. But mostly I like a Wegen TF100 on acoustic, it's a good balance between being thick enough to have some fullness on single notes but with bevelled edges and a tiny bit of flex that makes it easy to strum with. It's the closest thing to a pick I can stop noticing and just play with. And they do have some smaller picks that the OP might like to try too, the BigCity and Bluegrass shapes.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Yes. They're good, but they didn't have a shape I really liked. That's not a criticism. Just personal preference.

In the pic below you'll see: 

Top row l-r (all Clifford Essex) 
    Triad. Bluegrass. Mandolin 100.

Bottom row l-r.
     Dunlop Nylon for size reference. Dunlop Primetone Small Triangle. Wegen Bluegrass. Dunlop Ultex Flow.

The Essex picks are well made, but horn is a natural material and can be inconsistent. One of the corners on the Triad tore a bit, but I didn't send it back as I won't use it, being slightly too big for my taste.

The Mandolin 100 is a better size for me, but the corners are too round for my taste. 

The Bluegrass is really good, but I prefer a slightly less rounded tip.

The Primetone Small Triangle is the perfect size for me, but I find the material gives an audible "click" when coming into contact with the strings. 

The Wegen Bluegrass is my current favorite pick. Really quiet on the strings and has a nice "release" feel. And sounds good to my ears. 

The Flow is too pointy for my taste and the material gives an audible "click" when coming into contact with the strings.

I'm considering having Wegen make some picks to the exact dimensions of the Primetone Small Triangle with the grip holes of the Bluegrass.

I really hate the sound and feel of floppy picks. 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    I just don't like the plasticky sound on the strings with a pick. Maybe a rubbery type pick would sound better to my ears. I do prefer finger picking on acoustics. You don't seem to hear picks on electrics in the same way.
    If a rubbery type pick was available to play acoustics, it might be worth looking into.
    I have used Dunlop torte thumb picks in the past when I have had a broken thumb nail, sounds reasonable on the bass strings.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    You need bigger than a jazz iii, a Wegen bluegrass (1.4mm, buy white) sounds amazing on an acoustic. It's all I use.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3282
    You need bigger than a jazz iii, a Wegen bluegrass (1.4mm, buy white) sounds amazing on an acoustic. It's all I use.
    I picked up a Blue Chip CT55 in a trade recently. It’s a big old triangular thing and. at 55 thou, it’s about 1.4mm thick. Took a little getting used to but I love the ‘weight’ of it.

If i’m not using that pick, i’m using fingers but i can see the validity in using a thin pick for laying down a strummed part…something less ‘featured’.

I saw Bryan Sutton on TB’s channel recently and he had a small mountain of picks in the studio. I remembered him saying something about ‘playing with a lot of forearm’…that just struck me as a ‘big pick, big tone’ thing (when the part requires it)…and that there is a zillion ways to contact the strings.