Sci Fi laser warfare is upon us....

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 285
    Does this mean we will soon be regarding the opening scenes of Terminator 2 as a documentary? From a purely technological perspective the development of such an energy weapon could be regarded as a triumph. Conversely the very fact that our species is motivated to do such things in the first place signposts our limited intelligence. We're fscking idiots.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28512
    Needs more AI. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6709
    And the article below it "Starmer 'absolutely' commited to nuclear weapons".

We are SO fucked.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    The article is somewhat contradictory. They start off saying that it has effectively unlimited "ammunition", but then later states that they actually need something that doesn't draw power, which means it would have to be a chemical laser (which doesn't have unlimited shots).

Unless, of course, there's some laser technology I'm completely unaware of.

If I was Ukrainian, though, I'd be somewhat concerned about the idea of relying on something that's "70% there" to protect my power stations.
    <space for hire>
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18878
    snowblind said:
    Does this mean we will soon be regarding the opening scenes of Terminator 2 as a documentary? From a purely technological perspective the development of such an energy weapon could be regarded as a triumph. Conversely the very fact that our species is motivated to do such things in the first place signposts our limited intelligence. We're fscking idiots.
    I do love a good LINUX point :)
    I do love a good LINUX point :)
    Better than chkdsking idiots for sure.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28512
    Not everyone is hardcore enough for chkdsk. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    awk
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    Not saying we are not good at making stuff but the Yanks have a 20 year head start and they have not really deployed anything monumental. None of the stuff I have seen online seems much good against a drone or plane that then takes evasive action in most cases it continues in a straight line till it blows up.  I am sure we will continue to find more efficient ways to kill each other. The biggest problem with Lasers is some kind of portable power supply currently they need massive amounts of power.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258
    I hope you've all had your cup of LIBER-TEA! 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11804

If I was Ukrainian, though, I'd be somewhat concerned about the idea of relying on something that's "70% there" to protect my power stations.
    Me too - but currently they are getting pasted because they have no ammunition for the air-defense systems they have previously been given.

Something that doesn't require multi-million dollar ammunition might be a lot more sustainable...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11804
    merlin said:

We are SO fucked.

"Albert, you remember I said I was worried that with the atom bomb we would start a chain reaction that would destroy the world..."

"Yes"

"I think we did..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    edited April 12
    The article is somewhat contradictory. They start off saying that it has effectively unlimited "ammunition", but then later states that they actually need something that doesn't draw power, which means it would have to be a chemical laser (which doesn't have unlimited shots).

It's not chem, it's solid state, there is official info on the web about it. 
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5012
    I, for one, welcome our new laser wielding robot overlords :)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    Obviously what it needs is its own thorium based microreactor to power it. "Ammunition" for 25 years per refill of the reactor.

• RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    merlin said:

We are SO fucked.

“I’m totally committed to nuclear weapons” said Sir Kier Starmer. “I mean, I really can’t wait. It’s the main reason I want to be PM. Just imagine it, all that power to blow stuff up. Sometimes I make lists of all the places that I’m going to make go kaboom…”
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    dano said:

It's not chem, it's solid state, there is official info on the web about it. 
    That's kind of my point - they need something that doesn't draw massive amounts of power from the power station it's supposed to be protecting, which is exactly what solid state lasers do.
    <space for hire>
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    I agree that with all major parties  committed to Nuclear deterrents and the madness that entails it is a scary world. I am not sure in the current global climate you can afford to be anything else as the bully boys like Putin are happy to rewrite the European map to their advantage and China with similar aspirations. 

May be when the wall fell and people were talking you could have got some greater traction and the UK could of walked away from Nuclear and rebuilt a different foreign policy approach but now I think it would be political suicide to change the status quo. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3518
    I agree that with all major parties  committed to Nuclear deterrents and the madness that entails it is a scary world. I am not sure in the current global climate you can afford to be anything else as the bully boys like Putin are happy to rewrite the European map to their advantage and China with similar aspirations. 

May be when the wall fell and people were talking you could have got some greater traction and the UK could of walked away from Nuclear and rebuilt a different foreign policy approach but now I think it would be political suicide to change the status quo. 
    Being commited to nuclear weapons , sorry , deterrents, makes us part of the bully boy club too. Bully boys fighting over the same street corner, supremacy. 
    This isnt about protecting ourselves against others, tere is no such thing as protection in a nuclear exchange.
    These arse holes want presence on the world stage.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1425
    Who isn't "totaly comitted to nuclear"  currently? Despite all the posturing it is literally the only way to get a seat at the top table, or at least to be listened to. North Korea, Israel and Iran are  proof.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong