1x12 vs 2x10 speakers

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
edited October 2014 in Amps

I'm always mind doodling of gear/kit scenarios. My latest thoughts are 1x12 speaker vs 2x10 speakers in a combo amp. There are various choices in my mind as for what amp but let's say a Tweed for arguments sake. What would be the differences I'd expect to hear from the 2 and which would be more versatile etc?

yes I know it's all subjective really but just as a starting point :)

Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    More bottom from a 1x12. I like both
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    John_A said:
    Well I do love a good bottom LOL. No seriously I can agree with you on that as I do like a full sound probably why I use a Les Paul :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    John_A said:

Depends on the 12! In any case LF performance does nit depend on cone size* and even if it did! Two tens have approximately 20% more cone area than one twelve.

*This is, I admit by the "rules" of proper pistonic speakers in correctly designed boxes, neither of which factors apply here! (doesn't mean it is wrong tho!)

The absolute LF POWER handling of a speaker IS somewhat size related.

As the OP says, "subjective". All you can do is cut and try. Just cut and bloody try!

(but measure twice)

Dave.

ecc83 said:
    John_A said:

Depends on the 12! In any case LF performance does nit depend on cone size* and even if it did! Two tens have approximately 20% more cone area than one twelve.

*This is, I admit by the "rules" of proper pistonic speakers in correctly designed boxes, neither of which factors apply here! (doesn't mean it is wrong tho!)

The absolute LF POWER handling of a speaker IS somewhat size related.

As the OP says, "subjective". All you can do is cut and try. Just cut and bloody try!

(but measure twice)

Dave.

Well my dilemma is that I may have to spec up an amp build and my choices are 2x10's or a 1x12. So the amp doesn't exist in a showroom really unless I can track down a past client of theirs and play through it. I guess I'll just have to take a risk but was hoping for a calculated risk hence my question here as a base :)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

I have a 2x10 Dr z Mojo amp

It sounds deep full and amazing

I have a 1x12 Badcat 30R .. it sounds deep full and amazing

The 2x10 gives a bit more spread

They both weigh a ton

Probably no help but there you are....

Cabicular said:

They both weigh a ton

Yeah its the spread that I was thinking about too. Apparently it won't be that heavy with 2x10's in ...... apparently :)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If it's a custom build, can you not get another baffle and interchange between 2 10s an a12 ? Or just borrow a 210 and 112 cab and try them out, obviously won't be your new amp but should give you an idea The guy in this thread has both, maybe ask his opinion? http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/26264/advice-on-running-2-cabs#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    Ah ok thanks. Maybe @CloudNine can help me here :)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:

They both weigh a ton

Yeah its the spread that I was thinking about too. Apparently it won't be that heavy with 2x10's in ...... apparently :)

Cough *bollocks* cough ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:

They both weigh a ton

Cough *bollocks* cough ;)

Don't knock until you know which amp I'm talking about. No I won't tell .........yet LOL
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited October 2014
    Think of it this way:

Open your mouth as wide and perched as you can to make the O-oaugh sound.... then change the shape so that you widen it but reduce it to make the Eeei sound...

But please don't ask about 2x12 vrs 4x10 cos my false teeth will fall out...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    Think of it this way:

Open your mouth as wide and perched as you can to make the O-augh sound.... then change the shape so that you widen it but reduce it to make the Eeei sound...
    LOL I can imagine everyone reading that is doing exactly what you are saying right now :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    edited November 2014

I have a Laney VC30-210 which has two of the excellent 10" Jensen C10Q16 drivers.  I opted for the 2x10 configuration because it was lighter and more compact than the 2x12" but still with a full tone and good spread.  The 2x10 has a snappier, sparklier more vintage feel than the 1x12" or 2x12" versions that really cuts much better through a band mix.  I also have the matching GS12VE cab containing a 1x12" Celestion Seventy-Eighty driver.  This allows me 2x10, 1x12, or 2x10 plus 1x12 options. The latter combination gives me some extra volume and bottom end if I need it.  

Really pleased with it and it's my favourite and best sounding amp. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4284
    @hotpickups  I think my advice might be useless here. As per the other thread I have both those Z cabs and have been switching between them for a bit now. Unfortunately I think any conclusions are skewed by the fact that the 2x10 is well broken in and the 1x12 is brand new.

But what I found is the 2x10 is quite a bit louder, and has much more bass. The latter bit I was surprised by and think is almost certainly attributable to the break-in. The 1x12 has a slight 'hollowness' to the sound at present.

The 2x10 actually sounds pretty amazing, but I hear mixed reviews about 2x10's and think the speakers themselves are critical. The Z 10's are renowned as very good ones, but some I have heard are no so great.

And also, you are massively limiting your options for speaker replacements if you go with 10's. That is possibly the biggest factor to consider. Especially if you are speccing a build and can't hear it first, so you might need to tweak the sound to your tastes with speaker changes.