Epiphone Olympic 1966 Vintage Single Pickup

Mudz73Mudz73 Frets: 5
I've been thinking of getting a Vintage guitar & i've always liked SG Jrs/Epiphone Wilshire/Coronet but as they're crazy dosh i thought a more affordable step into Vintage could be an Olympic (Batwing Headstock) with the single pickup. I'm just unaware of the going rate & i know condition dictates this but i do prefer something that's had a life minus any structural damage but as long as it plays well, minor fret wear & original pickup i'd be happy. 

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14765
    tFB Trader
    You'll be hard pushed to find a fairly clean Olympic under 2K - Some are even closer to 3K - IMO the 'Melody Maker' single coil pick-up is weak and no where near as desirable as a P90 or Mini Humbucker - Some will like it but it will depend on your needs and playing style

Not sure of your planned budget - Don't dismiss a good player grade model - More affordable and a good example is often a better player, especially if it has had a good refret 
  • Mudz73Mudz73 Frets: 5
    Thanks chap. I'm not a fan of clean looking guitars especially vintage so one that's had a life would suit me ; )
  • Mudz73 said:
    Thanks chap. I'm not a fan of clean looking guitars especially vintage so one that's had a life would suit me ; )
    I have a battered ‘66 hanging on the workshop wall (for a few years!), which would suit you :-)
    Hahaha maybe chap maybe. What state is it in? 
  • Mudz73 said:
    Hahaha maybe chap maybe. What state is it in? 
    It’s current a husk covered in saw dust, pretty beat but original finish and ripe for a P90! 
    How are the frets? Any breaks etc? Any pics?

Thanks
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    I have a mk3 doublecut Gibson Melody Maker - original but in need of attention to be most people's idea of easily playable. 

I like the unfashionable second version Skylark single coil pickup. All that I need to do to fatten up its sound is wind up the amp gain and roll down the guitar's tone control to about 6½.

Heads down, no-nonsense, mindless boogie. (Bang your 'ead on the wall.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 182
    Just as a matter of interest, how do the Melody Maker single coil pickups compare to Strat single coils, size wise - or to put it differently, how difficult would it be to fit a pickup intended for a Strat on a Melody Maker?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    edited April 14
    1965 MM pickup cover top 72 x 18mm.
    Typical Stratocaster cover 70 x 18mm.

A Duncan Rails or DiMarzio Track pickup would slot right in with a bit of elbow room at the rounded ends. From a distance, the gap will not show.

The colourful Epiphone Melody Makers of a few years ago use Stratocaster type pickups rather than attempt to replicate the vintage Gibson construction.

The Gibson Skylark pickup amounts to a copper coil wound around a bar magnet. The cover fits over the coil. The fibreboard baseplate (and, hence, the pickup cavity) is a good bit larger than it needs to be. Thus, there is enough room to install a P90 without resorting to wood removal. 

All that is necessary to complete this modification is a replacement pickguard with P90 cut-outs. (Lollar offers several variations. Needless to say, this is in anticipation of customers also buying the P90s from him.)

For all I know, Ash @OilCityPickups has refurbished a few of the Gibson Skylark pickups. He may have photographs to help explain the difference between the first version of the pickup and later, "inferior" version.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.