1996 P Bass headstock decal help

What's Hot
DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
edited April 13 in Bass tFB Trader
Hi has anyone got a 96 fender P Bass, I'm refinishing the headstock and Rothko and Frost said they had the correct decal so I stripped the headstock and they send me this big decal that's no good then they ask can I measure the decal, wish they said that to start with.

I just need the length of it and the size of the fender letters and precision bass ones.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
www.danielsguitars.co.uk
(formerly customkits)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18882
    Not sure, but might this not get more interest in the "Bass" section or possibly 'Making & Modding" ?
    Good luck :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    Not sure, but might this not get more interest in the "Bass" section or possibly 'Making & Modding" ?
    Good luck :+1: 
    Probably I didn't really think tbh.

Thanks anyway 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18882
    Just trying to help *shrug*
    tFB Trader
    Just trying to help *shrug*
    Thanks, I'm kicking myself for not taking measurements now.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    Q1 - What country of origin?
    Q2 - Which exact model?

For instance, a MIM Standard P Bass could have a fairly large solid black "CBS" script decal or a small "Eighties" one in silver with a black outline.

I cannot recall when the "spaghetti" logo was reintroduced on MIA Fender basses. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    Q1 - What country of origin?
    Q2 - Which exact model?

For instance, a MIM Standard P Bass could have a fairly large solid black "CBS" script decal or a small "Eighties" one in silver with a black outline.

I cannot recall when the "spaghetti" logo was reintroduced on MIA Fender basses. 
    Sorry I don't know, I'm not a fender expert but here's a pic of the original headstock decal

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    edited April 14
    That looks like one of those odd smaller 90s headstocks. Is it a P Bass Lyte or something like that?

You should be able to calculate the size of the decal by measuring the headstock and scaling it from the pic.

Or just send R&F the pic. Measure a repeatable dimension like from the top edge of the E tuner hole to the top edge of the G hole (ie along the line of the tuners) and they should be able to scale it very accurately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14511
    edited April 14
    Send a copy of that image to R&F. They'll know what the correct replacement is.

FWIIW, the nut width on that neck looks correct for a Jazz Bass. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited April 14 tFB Trader
    Rothko and Frost said they've got the decal and sent the wrong one then asked for measurements, this is why it's annoying me.

It's a 96 P Bass.

This is what I got sent, it's too big.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28522
    edited April 15
    Couldn't you print the first photo, measure something you know the size of (eg the nut or a tuner hoke), measure the logo size on the photo, do some sums and get the text size as it was on the bass?

I'd sling the image in CAD, scale it to get the tuner holes the right size, then measure the text. If you let me know the tuner hole diameter - maybe nut width too for comparison, it's probably a five to ten minute job. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 279
    edited April 15
    You can do a convincing fender logo in PowerPoint.

It's basically the typeface Brush Script, but with a smaller -font capital E substituted for the standard small e.

PowerPoint will let you fill the letters in a fendery orange with a black outline of whatever weight.  Fiddle until it looks right and then print it onto transfer paper with a decent laser printer.

I can't remember whether the little capital Es have to be rotated or whether they are already at the correct backward leaning angle.

Same story for the surrounding text.  That uses a thinnish sans serif typeface.  Arse around until you find a convincing one.  I can't remember which I used, but it wasn't anything exotic. (But it definitely wasn't Ariel.)

Depending on which era you are aiming for, you might have to expand the letter spacing.  That's in the Font pop up somewhere.  Making curved text is in the Word Art functions. 

Of course, this lets you do a logo that looks like fender from a distance, but actually says something else.

Any word or short phrase starting in F will be convincing from a distance.  I wonder if, by any chance, any of you have suggestions?

tFB Trader
    I'm getting Rothko and Frost to try and sort this out, I just need to give them some reference measurements like the length of headstock and tuner holes etc.

I don't do cad or design really, I stick to making and finishing guitars.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll see what they come up with.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    By some simple graphics & calcs using ratios...  the Fender script is approx 3.5x the width of the tuner holes, and the distance from the leftmost point of the F to the end of BASS is 7.5x the same width. 

That should give you a decent approximation. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28522

That's why I suggested giving me the tuner hole measurement, and I'll do the rest. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    By some simple graphics & calcs using ratios...  the Fender script is approx 3.5x the width of the tuner holes, and the distance from the leftmost point of the F to the end of BASS is 7.5x the same width. 

That should give you a decent approximation. 

Thank you, I'm going to send this to Rothko and Frost and hopefully they'll get it right.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    No probs - I did it mostly in powerpoint (my working time happy place...) so only took about a minute :) 

You could do a similar process with the nut width to cross-check as well, but probably not needed
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

That's why I suggested giving me the tuner hole measurement, and I'll do the rest. 
    Sorry didn't see this, I'll be back in the workshop tomorrow to measure a tuner hole, not sure if you want it now but thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)