Buying used mandolin

What's Hot
I quite fancy getting a mandolin with a pickup but having never played one before don't want to spend much. Is £200ish enough to get a decent-ish f style mandolin for that price or do I need to keep saving?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 212
    You'll get better value for money with an A style in that price range - the extra work to shape and bind the scroll pushes the price up without making the instrument function any better, so they always cost more than an equivalent quality A style.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3724
    A good rule of thumb is that a mandolin will cost twice as much as a similar quality guitar. Also as @MartinB says you’ll get value from an A style 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11947
    drofluf said:
    A good rule of thumb is that a mandolin will cost twice as much as a similar quality guitar. 
    why is that?
    I noticed they are expensive, don't understand why
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Just as complex to make, maybe more.  Produced in smaller volumes.  
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3724
    drofluf said:
    A good rule of thumb is that a mandolin will cost twice as much as a similar quality guitar. 
    why is that?
    I noticed they are expensive, don't understand why
    I think it’s because there’s less demand. Probably more than ten times as many people play guitar as do the mandolin. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Can't go wrong with used Eastman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I feel like the 2x price rule of thumb holds up well enough in the bluegrass scene where the standard mandolin is a carved archtop and the standard guitar is a flat top. But then if you look at companies who make both mandolins and guitars in the same construction style, the difference isn't at all consistent. There’s the Eastman PCH mandolin for £399 while the PCH model guitars are £369, or Fylde's mandolins starring at about a grand and guitars starting at £2900.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    Don't bother going super cheap, particularly not with an F-type. There is nothing more unpleasant to play than a super cheap mandolin.

Eastman 305 A style is the way to go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1881
    Epsilon said:
    Don't bother going super cheap, particularly not with an F-type. There is nothing more unpleasant to play than a super cheap mandolin.

But you said it was super even though it's cheap? 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Epsilon said:

But you said it was super even though it's cheap? 
    There's a difference between 'super-cheap" and 'super, cheap"  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18881
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Was just about to do the same thing!
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    Ozark seem to sell reasonably priced mandolins. They look the part, whether the play the part who knows?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    Where is @Mellish when you need him? If I remember correctly, he knew all about mandolins. 
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    He knew banjos as well.
    Be assured he will be looking down on us all, such a nice man.
    It's a tricky price point for mandolins, especially if you're set on having a pickup. I'd suggest forgetting about the pickup to start with and just add a simple piezo like a JJB later as needed - cheaper mandolins that come with electronics don't tend to be great sounding. 
    Setup is a biggy on mandolins, and even an action height that looks like it would be reasonable on acoustic guitar can be too much, something that puts off a lot of beginners. If you're buying new, try and go for a shop that does at least a basic setup like Eagle Music, and try and get a solid top instrument as a bare minimum.
  • sir_strumalotsir_strumalot Frets: 16
    edited April 30

Epsilon said:

This is the correct answer. Kentucky km150 gets a lot of love too. I played a Loar too, which was ok, but not as good set up or tone. Setup is even more important on a mandolin than a guitar -e.g. high nut slots will make it painful to play. Good mandolins have carved tops and backs like an archtop guitar, and they take a similar time to build. F-style is about double the work, hence these things get very expensive quite quickly once you get away from Mandolin Shaped Objects. You can fit a K&K for not too much money.

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Is there a difference in sound between A style and F? Or is it purely aesthetic?
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 621
    Is there a difference in sound between A style and F? Or is it purely aesthetic?
    That's a whole other debate, and a well-worn one in the Mandolin Cafe Forum. I suggest doing a search on their forum on this point, but I don't believe there is any real consensus. My personal view is that it probably makes a negligible difference.