Obsolete American Standard Fretwire

What's Hot
ditchboyditchboy Frets: 360
Has anybody ever heard of this? It’s named on a shop floor traveller document on a Strat I have seen. Everything else on the guitar looks pretty much perfect but I’ve never heard of these before. Any idea what they might be the equivalent of?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    It's 0.1" wide, equivalent to Stewmac #154.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 360
    Is that MJ?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    ditchboy said:
    Is that MJ?
    I always thought American Standards did use medium jumbos.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5997
    Ahem .... All of the American standards are obsolete. Quarts, rods, furlongs, acre-feet, ounces, fluid ounces, pounds, inches, bushels, long hundredweight, short hundredweight, stock prices in eighths,  feet, calories, mil, statute miles, weird sized teaspoons nobody else in the entire world uses, undersized cups and gallons, fifths as a measure of volume, temperature in degrees Fahrenheit, foot-pounds, BTU, PSI, inches of mercury, ridiculous backward dates, AWG, ounces as a unit of distance (yes, really! 1 ounce = 0.4mm. Look it up), non-standard bolt sizes, non-standard thread pitches. Did I mention bushels? Not content with using a prehistoric unit, they have three of them, all different. It just goes on and on. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 561
    The word obsolete is banded around on Fender CS travellers quite often - really it's a bit of a misnomer (as is a lot of the jargon on said travellers). Just means no longer in widespread use, rather than no longer in production (i.e. actually obsolete). 
    Besides - Fender don't make their own fret wire. Hence why you see Dunlop, Jescar and Sanko all used widespread on the Custom Shop stuff. They don't disclose the manufacturer on most production models (and certainly didn't on American Standards, but it was 'medium jumbo' as previously stated). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 360
    Thanks everyone. It was a strange traveller document, but the instruments coa was from 2006. There was information missing on the traveller though, it didn’t have anything next to some of the hardware for example. It was just left blank - personally I’ve never seen that before either. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    tFB Trader
    without looking is that close to 6130 - fading gray matter but thought Std USA models had 6130
    tFB Trader
    without looking is that close to 6130 - fading gray matter but thought Std USA models had 6130
    Just found the answer to my own statement question - 6130 are 106/36 size which is close to Stewmac #146

#154 is 100/50 so a touch wider

My gut feeling is that AM Standard models used 6130's - But a) I might eb wrong and b) Fender might have changed spec a tad 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3885
    Just found the answer to my own statement question - 6130 are 106/36 size which is close to Stewmac #146

My gut feeling is that AM Standard models used 6130's - But a) I might eb wrong and b) Fender might have changed spec a tad 
    Wasn't it '6150'?

Dim memory of this ..
    tFB Trader
    Greatape said:

Wasn't it '6150'?

Dim memory of this ..
    PRS use 6150 a lot, but Fender AM Standard tag it as medium jumbo - I'm sure 6130's is a regular gauge