I saw Satch & Vai last night

What's Hot
bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
In a moment of madness I deciced to book a flight to America to go to a Satriani/Vai gig. Second row seats in an 1800 capacity venue. That makes this by far the most expensive gig of my life, but fortunately it was excellent!

New stuff and plenty of greatest hits: Blue Powder, For the Love of God, Surfing with the Alien, Satch Boogie, Flying in a Blue Dream etc etc.

Vai's song on the Hydra guitar was mesmerising. Seeing Vai playing EVO about 3 meters away was almost surreal :D

They did an hour each then a combo deal complete with guitar duelling a-plenty (Satch won IMO, he was just ripping it). They did Enter Sandman, and hearing Joe playing Hammett's solo note for note was cool.

Very pleased!!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    You just decided to go to a gig in the US on a whim? Fair play to you. I can't even be arsed to go to a London gig these days =) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    You just decided to go to a gig in the US on a whim? Fair play to you. I can't even be arsed to go to a London gig these days =) 

Well, I booked it in November. I have friends out here so I could make it into a general holiday, but it still felt slightly reckless and decadent. Speaking of which, I need to get home before my liver fails =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4112
    Excellent adventure,  like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    What an awesome experience  well done would loved to have seen that 
      They are superb aren’t they
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Amazing!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    So do they actually jam on each others songs on this tour, or do they only team up to do covers like in their G3 tours? Would be amazing to hear Satch on something like Bad Horsie and Vai on Satch Boogie. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    Extremely cool!

They did Enter Sandman, and hearing Joe playing Hammett's solo note for note was cool.

From what I've heard, that's not entirely surprising - Satch was teaching Hammett back then, and I was told he stopped because whenever he'd show Hammett some of his own stuff, it'd appear on the next Metallica album :D

(this may or may not be accurate, just rumours from folk who'd probably know)
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So do they actually jam on each others songs on this tour, or do they only team up to do covers like in their G3 tours? Would be amazing to hear Satch on something like Bad Horsie and Vai on Satch Boogie. 

No, they just did a few songs together: their new collab one, Enter Sandman and You Really Got Me. all of these turned into extended jams. The keyboard player sang the lyrics but they were kind of an afterthought. They just wheeled an amp on stage for Vai after Satch's set finished, and played with Satch's band.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3032
    edited April 15
    Sounds awesome. Was it the Ohio gig or Rochester NY, a place I know as I have relatives there. Try the Dinosaur bar-b-que! 
    It was in Ohio, 20 minute drive from my mate's house. I went to the gig with three people who are not guitarists or fans, and they loved it.

The weather has mostly been like Wales =)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    Good on ya.  Yep, I'd have gone to that.  We've done the same for a US gig :-)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Judging by the photographs, both guitarists were enjoying themselves. 

Is Vai motorcycling between tour venues in the style of Neil Peart? Leather trousers at aged almost sixty four, I ask you!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom