Admins, what is happening to tFB?

What's Hot

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7474
    edited May 10
    I would rather still have a forum like this that showed adverts than no forum at all, so for the drop in the ocean that is the Patreon monthly payment I am more than happy to contribute in a very small way to the forum's continued existence and I very much appreciate the amount of hard (and completely unpaid) work that is done behind the scenes in a largely unrecognised way by @digitalscream and the other people like @Roland that keep the forum running.  Sorry if I missed anybody, but my ignorance of who actually keeps this forum alive is probably common to a great many users of this forum.  50 years ago I learned a saying that has served me well through life: "Don't shit on your own doorstep".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4973
    I wonder if advertisers have the option to specify work/family friendly content only?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3935
    I think it’s about 4 quid a month innit? I reckon in today’s money it must be there or thereabouts equivalent to me buying The Beano (with my parents hard-earned of course) circa 1977. Get on it peeps. It’s more than worth it.
    edited May 10
    I can't recall if the Beano had advertising in it, but some of the others were a rip-off in that several valuable pages were consumed by the most inappropriate and reckless advertising.  You had really vicious things like a fake chewing gum pack that snapped a mousetrap on the unsuspecting finger of somebody; really dangerous fiery pepper chewing gum; abhorrent severed fingers and fake "nail through finger" prank items complete with gut-churning fake blood; absolutely vile abuse of wildlife with the "sea monkeys" (brine shrimps - "drop into water and watch them come alive"); and all kinds of other disgusting adverts.  Thank goodness they never showed people in underwear 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3935
    BillDL said:
     Thank goodness they never showed people in underwear 
    Err, yeah. I had to venture into my big brother’s ‘cupboard’ for that. The 70’s were great.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1330
    On numerous occasions, as 2 year member, suggested brave browser as an ad free solution on threads like this. The mods have never even suggested/ called me up on ..thats ruining membership opportunites. So stopping ads doesnt feel like the mens rea for membership at all.
    It feels much more about choice of putting something back into the community, discounts on stuff etc. Thats a good thing and a sign of a healthy forum.. using brave for 4+ years completely free and earned £400+ in crypto for the pleasure. Tens of millions of trackers blocked (away from here) and the internet is just a better place. No youtube ads or trailers for example.

In this day and age, you really should take responsibility for your own surfing and how you digest the internet. Plenty of options.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4143
    I like seeing ladies in knickers. I can't see a problem 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 746
    Ad blocker?

It's the cookies that concerned me. As in, there seems to be a lot? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17701
    tFB Trader
    I viewed the forum logged out for the first time in ages last week (I have membership) and had the same Temu advert with loads of products on it and for whatever reason it showed a load of scantily clad women mixed in with whatever random tat and being at work at the time I momentarily thought "shit I don't want this on my screen"

It actually seemed to be quite innocent products, but presented in a racy way. For example a T-Shirt, but the woman appeared to be otherwise naked and was pulling it down past her crotch etc. My wife does share my Amazon account and a few other things so it's possible I am associated with womens clothes etc.

I just checked to see if it was consistent so I logged out and scanned through about 50 pages and it was all adverts for financial services, guitar related, or Shark vacuums (which I own) so must of been a weird one off. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26820
    Kurtis said:
    Ad blocker?

Shouldn't be - through all my testing, it only shows a google.com cookie and a doubleclick.net cookie (which is also Google). There was a brief period when we were using a different supplier (as noted above), which dumped about 100 cookies. That's one of the (many) reasons I stopped using them.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4973
    edited May 13
    The ad on my page at the moment looks like something from a cat-house.
    skimpy set-ups, cross dressing, ...

Oops - it's Feline Guitars!
    Skim and setups, fret dressing, ...

:-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:
    Ad blocker?

Shouldn't be - through all my testing, it only shows a google.com cookie and a doubleclick.net cookie (which is also Google). There was a brief period when we were using a different supplier (as noted above), which dumped about 100 cookies. That's one of the (many) reasons I stopped using them.
    I mean when you sign in there's a lot of stuff you need to switch off. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26820
    Kurtis said:
    Kurtis said:
    Ad blocker?

Oh. Not loads of cookies, then?
    <space for hire>
    edited May 14
    Kurtis said:
    Kurtis said:
    Ad blocker?

Kurtis said:
    Kurtis said:
    Ad blocker?

I mean when you sign up /sign in to this site you have to reject a lot of cookies compared to other sites I have used?

I'm not a computer nerd so I don't know what the correct terminology is or whatever. 
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 253
    I got sacked today because my boss saw the what was on this site  :'(

She said it was a disgrace & I should know better. Even went as far as saying she was disappointed in me. I tried to explain that there’s nothing I could do, that I can’t help what appears on the site, and none of it is illegal. I think that made it worse, because then she accused me of deliberately opening that page with the photo of the PRS & leaving it up to deliberately try and offend her.
    With the exception of people who work for tFb, frankly no-one should be visiting tFb on work devices. 

Use Yr own personal devices in your own time.

Grinds my gears when people complain of disapproving looks from colleagues whilst casually browsing pronhub and tFb on their corporate work device.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23238
    With the exception of people who work for tFb, frankly no-one should be visiting tFb on work devices. 

Grinds my gears when people complain of disapproving looks from colleagues whilst casually browsing pronhub and tFb on their corporate work device.
    Yes, heaven forfend that anyone should relax for even so much as a second during working hours.  Let's put the Great back into Britain, everyone.
    Philly_Q said:

Yes, heaven forfend that anyone should relax for even so much as a second during working hours.  Let's put the Great back into Britain, everyone.
    Not about relaxing,  about misappropriation of equipment. BYOD.
    "Bring Your Own Desk"?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12435
    I can honestly say I've never searched for slippers from Temu, yet there they are, alongside a risque metal sign for WD-40 asking if I have "tight nuts" or a "rusty" tool.  30% price drop though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"