Voting For Composition Challenge 40

What's Hot
This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread for Composition Challenge 40

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Composition Challenge

REMINDER OF THE THEME/GUIDELINES
No theme for this one - so it was freestyle :)
Although, entrants were free to create their own theme.

Picture: In addition to the music, there was a task to create a picture that relates to the selected theme or song title. This wasn't mandatory.

VOTING AND DATES
Voting System - voters can pick their favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

The entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc. 

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is not allowed)

Voting ends midnight 30th April 2024, and the results will be announced shortly after.

No prizes, it's just for fun.

THE ENTRIES

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27696
    Before we get into the voting - a question ...

Would anyone be willing to contribute on another thread, post-close-of-voting, to give some constructive feedback on submissions here?  

Obviously it's great to get 5 points, 5 points, 5 points, but I'd more welcome suggestions as to how my submissions could be improved.  Not naming names, but I'm pretty sure that there are one or two other contributors who'd be similarly grateful for  feedback too.

I'm very conscious that I'm at an early point on my learning curve about writing songs, composing with other instruments, mixing, et al, and I'm even more aware that there are people here with much more experience and expertise.  I'm also aware that I'd be asking for people to put more time into this process, purely for the benefit of others.

Maybe we should also each say whether or not we're open to that feedback - it can be a painful process - and the intention is that it should be constructive and actionable (eg "this would sound much better with a real 10-piece orchestra" might be constructive, but is unlikely to be actionable!).

Rather than disrupting this voting thread, could you indicate whether that'd be something you'd be willing to do by clicking the wisdom button (I'm not fret-whoring, honest).  If there's a reasonable level of support, then I'll start a post-vote feedback thread.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 18
    The votes are in from the TT jury.

5pts @midiman1962 - great clean, bouncy, straightforward 50s/60s tune (as it said on the tin) and telling a story.
    3pts @thecolourbox - really liked the concept/lyrics and the melody, all fitted together very nicely.
    1pts @Sporky - for a very sporky track

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 880
    1st place -The hive, excellent!
    2nd place -Sever, sounds the part
    3rd place - Sprinkles of castle despair, bonkers :3

nice one folks.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2205
    TTony said:
    Before we get into the voting - a question ...

Would anyone be willing to contribute on another thread, post-close-of-voting, to give some constructive feedback on submissions here?  ...

Rather than disrupting this voting thread, could you indicate whether that'd be something you'd be willing to do by clicking the wisdom button (I'm not fret-whoring, honest).  If there's a reasonable level of support, then I'll start a post-vote feedback thread.
    :)

You can use this thread for that if you want to, or start your own thread. I don't mind either way :)

It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9885
    Tony and I were discussing the subject of feedback on compositions, and I'd definitely be keen to receive some as I don't have anybody in "real life" to listen to anything, let alone to provide some critical feedback or technical advice how to improve things. Would definitely try my best to do the same in return (with my limited knowledge/skill in mind)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 254
    edited April 18
    My concern regarding 'the feedback' would be that some people might not want it, and thus be put off entering. Music can be very subjective.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2205
    Habanero said:
    My concern regarding 'the feedback' would be that some people might not want it, and thus be put off entering. Music can be very subjective.
    Perhaps we should only give detailed feedback to those that specifically request it.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes I think it should be a case of folks specifically requesting it as unwanted feedback can be confidence killer. Or perhaps specifically requesting feedback or advice how to do something in particular - using some of my own sticking points for examples, how can I make my reverb less mushy, how can I write less predictably, etc.

Back when I recorded a selection of stuff as a sort of EP a good while back, I was excited to share it with the world and asked for feedback and unfortunately all I got back was "lolz wayyyy too much reverb" and "you sound really depressed", which ultimately put me off doing anything for a while and is one of the reasons I now only really create music like this in my own little room. So you do have to be prepared for being told stuff you might not like! Or you can of course choose not to ask and thus avoid the potential knocks to confidence I guess. 
    Habanero said:
    Perhaps we should only give detailed feedback to those that specifically request it.
    Yes I think it should be a case of folks specifically requesting it as unwanted feedback can be confidence killer.
    TTony said:
    Maybe we should also each say whether or not we're open to that feedback - it can be a painful process - and the intention is that it should be constructive and actionable 

Sounds like we all agree on that point!

And I've edited my votes post to remove the additional comment, just in case it crossed the line into unwanted feedback
     :fearful: 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28715
    With apologies for mangling names.

5pts ICM1980
    3pts thecolourbox
    1pt Habanero
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I've decided on my votes I think

5pts Sporky - Sprinkles of castle despair. I miss games that sound like this. That big bass sound just kept me on edge as well to keep going against the boss.

3pts Habanero - Minotaur. Enjoyed the ring mod (?) sound on the intro guitar tone, and the smashing up bit at the end

1pt TTony - Sally's Song. Enjoyed the tempo changes and spacious atmospheric arrangement

As always there is something to enjoy in every one of them, just that on this occasion these three spoke to me most of all.

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146
    My votes go to:

5 points @petepassion - Really liked this, nice guitar parts and I enjoyed the rawness of the recording
    3 points @Habanero - A weighty slab of Doom metal with some powerful lyrics   
    1 point @Sporky - reminded me of my C64 days!

Am I right that anyone can vote, not just people who entered a track? 
    Yes absolutely, the more the merrier! 

(Unless you've mobilised your legions of adoring fans to sign up here to vote)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 20
    I have, and you can expect to see my votes increase by as much as one if all of them turn up.

It's hard to work a keyboard when you're a soft-toy dinosaur. 
    Yes absolutely, the more the merrier! 

(Unless you've mobilised your legions of adoring fans to sign up here to vote)
    We are all Sporky's adoring fans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

Is that the title of your next composition?
    edited April 20
    Sporky said:

Is that the title of your next composition?
    It is now! And there's cover art.

Full title: Gamepad (It's hard to work a keyboard when you're a soft-toy dinosaur)

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 102
    First of all I really enjoyed listening to all the tracks that were sent in.
    Well done to all that participated and here’s to hoping more folks get involved.
    Anyway, down to business, here’s my vote

5 points @thecolourbox ;
    Lyrically strong 
    Just a very traditional song with a whimsical content 
    Easy listening 
    3 points @Petepassion ;
    Stripped back format works due to
    a strong lyric and melody 
    1 point  @stratman3142 
    Bouncy happy tune - well recorded and executed- could be an 80’s tv theme- a comedy version of “minder” came into my head

Other notes I made:-
    @Habanero  ;
    Quite dark well recorded vocal following timing of guitar riff which was interesting.
    For some reason reminds me of early wishbone ash. String sustains could be longer.
    Liked the ending
    Quirky- amazing bottom end - interested to know what instrument played the lead line - was it synth guitar?
    Great double tracked vocal.
    Great guitars.
    Melodic solo.
    Ta - the lead is Plucked, a soft-synth included with FL Studio. Only three controls. But then put through the Fruity Overdrive to give it that overloaded ice-cream van chimes sound.