Help needed !

Hi there - bit of a strange request, so hoping someone may be able to help. 

After nearly three years in storage whilst moving, and renovating new home, I have finally been able to set up my hi-fi - hurrah ! But encountered a problem - booh…

In 1988 I bought a used Technics SL-Q303 turntable. Pretty darn good, Technics’ top of the line non-DJ deck. It already had a cartridge and stylus upgrade and’s served me ever since. However a common problem is the cover hinges; which snap after thirty years use (I checked - always around thirty, must be an inherent plastic degradation). 

Enter Arti in Holland who makes replacement covers. Fab - using a new hinge and bracket (ooer !) system, the covers slide straight in (ooer !) to the existing chassis housing. All good, however there now isn’t enough clearance between the cover bracket and my tonearm counterweight (the replaced headshell is probably slightly heavier than the original, causing its ballast to be set a little further back than usual). This was fine with the old (broken) cover, but not with the new shiny one.

The solution is to wind in the counterweight - however this dictates a tracking force of 2.3g. Way over the 1.4g my stylus requires. Don’t want to ruin my vinyl, so options are therefore to lighten the headshell unit, or slightly load up the counterweight.

Hence - I am looking for some kind of black elastic band that I can wrap around the 35mm counterweight barrel. Needs to be approx 4 to 8mm wide, 1 to 1.5mm thick and 25mm in diameter.

Will this be heavy enough I hear you ask - I think so, as I’ve experimented with the weight. Just by removing the stylus and recalibrating brought in the counterweight around 5mm from the rear. Which cleared the cover bracket and still allowed calibration at 1.5g tracking.

Have checked the tool box for gaskets and online, however not found anything yet. 

Phew - does this all make sense ? A very small, strong rubber band to place around the tonearm balance. 

FWIW, I did and A/B comparison at the local shop - my Q303 vs a state of the art ProJect Pro (rrp £650). The Q303 was livelier, deeper bass response and catchier high end. Plus it is direct drive - a forty year old gem.

Over and out from a sixty year old Jem.

ps - any ideas would be greatly appreciated - thanks for reading.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18803
    "Hence - I am looking for some kind of black elastic band that I can wrap around the 35mm counterweight barrel. Needs to be approx 4 to 8mm wide, 1 to 1.5mm thick and 25mm in diameter."
    Have you thought of trying self amalgamating tape?
    You can get it in a variety of sizes, cut to suit & wrap it to achieve any weight that you want?
    Did I mention it is black? :-D 

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9636
    I’m thinking an appropriate length of leaded solder tightly wrapped around the present counterweight…
  • 25mm O rings?

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Thanks for replies !

I have tried tape, which unfortunately was a bit too messy. Ideally I want something simple and easily removable - the 25mm black O ring is probably the way to go (and load up two or three if required). My only concern with these is they may move.

Which is why (for stability reasons) I had in mind a 35mm max stretch, 5mm wide flat rubber band. 

That said, it would need to be reliable and non-perishable (perhaps silicone would be better) - don't want it breaking when in use...
  • dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 112
    bicycle inner tube?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16692
    I was thinking this kind of silicone band, but I can't find black
    https://amzn.eu/d/1kP9RkG

Or the inner tube idea above
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1561
    Latest update -

Tried O Rings but didn't provide enough ballast, and elastic bands were too messy and collided on an edge. Getting a little more professional, a friend has lent me the counterweight from his spare Technics SL1200 DJ deck. 

Slightly heavier mass - bingo - it fits like a glove and is 5-6mm clear of the rear hinge.

But....has been suggested that the additional weight may affect tonearm compliance - arrggghhhh.

However.....I found out that Technics supply an auxiliary weight that fits on the end of the arm. Double however, they also acknowledge that if used, the cover is no longer compatible (for the very reason I have). Logic would surely suggest if the compliance can tolerate an auxiliary weight, then it should be able to tolerate a heavier counterweight per se. One would hope.

I have pitched all this to Technics and await their steering.

Tell you what though - I thought guitar forums were nerdy until checking out the hi-fi chats. OMG, the technical minutae is mind-boggling. I cannot work out whether it is hair splitting to the most extreme, or actual genuine concerns (apparently I have ruined my entire output by having a cover in the first place...).

I daren't reveal my speakers are on the floor...

Joking aside, if it sounds nice and lively, and there's no damage to the deck nor vinyl, that's good enough for me.