SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wtd - upright bass

What's Hot
RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
Never played one (or even a fretless) but always fancied trying an upright bass.

Don't want to spend a lot so if anyone has something like this, let me know:

https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Stagg-Electric-Double-Bass-Metallic-Black-3-4/PW4?origin=product-ads&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrIixBhBbEiwACEqDJZFDwIGJD8aCV79TKU2lviLz7A89Cc5NHJayQv3HRbqstr0XkGDwYBoC4bsQAvD_BwE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    edited April 19
    The solid body basses sound so bad that it will really put you off. I'd recommend a full acoustic bass. You can get a used upright for that price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
    Thanks @Winny_Pooh - I'd heard that rumour although still fancy a try. I can't see me ever being good enough or needing a proper upright, so the convenience of this is part of the appeal 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14465
    The solid body basses sound so bad that it will really put you off. I'd recommend a full acoustic bass. You can get a used upright for that price.
    I concur.

Tony Levin gets a decent sound from an NS electric upright but, then, he bloody well should for £2.5k. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 137
    I play DB and gig a lot. The Stagg basses are junk.

The NS Wav basses or Ibanez Upswing are much better if you can stretch to them. The Stagg is a bass-shaped instrument. (You can get the NS in 34” and 3/4 scale lengths). I’ve used a Wav for a gig with a valve preamp and it was good enough.

Of course nothing will give you the sound and feel of a DB, but they’re big, challenging to play and a nightmare to store. 

There are other quirky more portable ones like the Emininence, Kolstrin and Azola that get you to a closer DB sound, but are rarer and more expensive. The best in my experience is the Yamaha SLB.

You may have few aspirations to play but as soon as people hear you play DB you’ll be in demand.

The old joke is…

Week 1: buy the bass
    Week 2: learn the basics 
    Week 3: First gig.

I’m not very good at all and I could play paying gigs a few times a week if I wanted to. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I've got an nxt it's a good compromise. 
    Thanks for the comments.

With the Stagg / G4M type stuff being about £300 second hand these seemed like a low risk/cheap way to give upright bass a go.

But, taking your comments into account I've plumped for a fretless semi instead - Ibanez SHR500
    RevMatt said:
    I've plumped for a fretless semi instead - Ibanez SHR500F
    The Bridgehouse model! ;)
    Sorry @Funkfingers you'll have to enlighten me, the what...?
    Bridgehouse - bassist, Fretboard moderator and all-round legend - owned an Ibanez SHR500F. It may have been retired since he took possession of a Shuker. 
    Ah, thanks @Funkfingers ;