Lightspeed love-in

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7509
edited April 20 in FX
Already loved it but decided today to see what it's like whacked up to full gain - it's so bloody useable, even like that. 

It's a very modest 'max' gain by most pedals standards which probably helps it stop getting out of hand but I lost half an hour just noodling and enjoying. The gentle compression is lovely - after a while of playing like this when you turn it off everything that felt good before you turned it on seems a bit stiff and less fun by comparison. 

I know these low-ish gain pedals aren't everyone's warm beverage of choice but I think it's a bit of a modern classic.
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    I think it sounds wonderful but wish it had a bit more volume on tap. Had 3 of them down the years. Fab pedal.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 865
    Great pedal, to me they have a slightly different sound/vibe to all the other low gain pedals I’ve tried. Never seems to get ‘farty’ for want of a better word =) .
       I was also noodling with pedals yesterday and was comparing the Lightspeed, Bluesbreaker, drybell, Tumnus, hotcake and Broadcast. All good for different set ups and tones.
       Really loving the Bluesbreaker at the moment, then when I kicked in the Box of rock it was like someone had just plugged me into a superlead full stack :3

‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3884
    I think you're right that it's a modern classic as so many people love them.

Is it based on Timmy?

I really want to like the Lightspeed but have tried it twice and it just didn't click. Felt a bit 'metallic' with a strat, for want of a better word. 

I've never played one with humbuckers though. Maybe that's where it shines?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1151
    I made a clone and haven’t really clicked with it, I like a bright tone but it seems a bit harsh with my Strat 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited April 21
    How are people using these?

I bought one to add a bit of hair to pristine clean amp channels and while it worked well for that, it didn’t do anything my DOD Looking Glass couldn’t do for half the price and was significantly less versatile. 

I think Greer’s enclosures are oversized too given the basic circuitry enclosed and number of pots involved. 
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 865
    Thing is, it's purely subjective.
    I bought a Kingsley page off here recently, I thought it's a lot of money but I gotta try one and see what all the fuss is about.
    Within a week or two it was back up for sale, sold quick enough...thankfully.
    It was nowhere near as good as some of my other much cheaper pedals. And herein lies the problem, 'nowhere near as good' only applies to my style, taste and other gear in the chain.
    To many others the Kingsley page is unbeatable.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7509
    Lebarque said:

Is it based on Timmy?

I really want to like the Lightspeed but have tried it twice and it just didn't click. Felt a bit 'metallic' with a strat, for want of a better word. 

Now you say that, I realise I've been using humbucker guitars mostly - and one of the things it definitely does is brighten the sound up a little. 

re Timmy, yes, assuming my googling results for schematics was accurate and that my very rudimentary ability to read them hasn't waned too much, at the core of.it is a Timmy with its (pre gain) low control hardwired near to its maximum bass cut, the treble at a less drastic cut, then with a different master tone control added. I can't remember what the clipping arrangement is. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7509
    edited April 21

Thing is, it's purely subjective.
    I bought a Kingsley page off here recently, I thought it's a lot of money but I gotta try one and see what all the fuss is about.
    Within a week or two it was back up for sale, sold quick enough...thankfully.
    It was nowhere near as good as some of my other much cheaper pedals. And herein lies the problem, 'nowhere near as good' only applies to my style, taste and other gear in the chain.
    To many others the Kingsley page is unbeatable.
    That's an experiment I also would like to do - based largely on the very positive things I've heard. 

Your last 2 sentences are bang on the money too. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2205
    I'm after another low gainer.  I'd like to try a Page, but I can't help feeling that the Kingsley stuff is a bit over-engineered.  For my requirements anyway.  Some of them are like little amps in a pedal enclosure.  
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7179
    I’d like one lots. If anyone fancies trading a Modele B for one then take advantage of the fact I’ve had a couple of Elijah Craig’s and send me a pm. 

@TimmyO @Fishboy7 Kingsley Page going spare here if you want it. 
    TimmyO said:
    Lebarque said:

Is it based on Timmy?

Now you say that, I realise I've been using humbucker guitars mostly - and one of the things it definitely does is brighten the sound up a little. 

re Timmy, yes, assuming my googling results for schematics was accurate and that my very rudimentary ability to read them hasn't waned too much, at the core of.it is a Timmy with its (pre gain) low control hardwired near to its maximum bass cut, the treble at a less drastic cut, then with a different master tone control added. I can't remember what the clipping arrangement is. 
    Interesting. Maybe I should try one again now I've got a humbucker guitar here. Hmm
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 247
    Lightspeed is a great pedal.  I liked it into my Princeton but didn’t like it in the toneking.  There is this sizzle to the high end that I wasn’t keen on with it. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 527
    I did a whole album with one two years ago and then decided to sell it. Listening back to the recordings I really wish I hadn’t. The curse of always trying to find something marginally ‘better’. Go on, kick me. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    I love it with all pickups. It sounds righteous with filtertrons.