Non perm 4x12 stereo cab mod

Dave8Dave8 Frets: 244
Alright, 

I'm considering re-wiring a 4x12 to stereo, id prefer to do this in a non permanent way (avoid cutting the back panel etc). I wouldn't need to be able to switch to mono on the fly.

The cab is a 1960BX, so it has a single input like below.

Does anyone have any ideas about the best way to do this? I've thought about jack extensions out of the current plate hole.. but this is a little messy and risks them being pulled on.

Thanks,
Dave

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SquareheadedfreakSquareheadedfreak Frets: 375
    edited April 21
    Take off the input jack from the plate, and replace with a stereo jack? then use a splitter cable to then have the split to 2 seperate leads would be simplest.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72503
    edited April 21
    Replace the oversized jack cup with a flat plate, which will be large enough for two jacks - something like pickguard material is ideal. If you use the cup to mark out the new plate the screw positions can be reused without drilling extra holes. The jacks will stand slightly proud of the back of the cab, but that’s not a major issue.

Don’t use a TRS jack or any other type that combines the ground connections - they must be kept separate or it can cause trouble, either ground loop hum or in extreme cases instability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein