Recommend me a neck relief measure tool

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2571
    daveyh said:
    Tannin said:
    Go to any car parts shop and get a set of metric feeler gauges. (Metric because it is much, much easier and less error prone for small distances.) Something like these: https://sydneytools.com.au/product/toledo-301159-feeler-gauge-tapered-10-blade-metric

Metric is only easier if you don’t know how to use imperial, otherwise it’s six of one half a dozen of another. If you are doing anything with comparison to USA standards imperial is the better option. 
    Decimal inches are no different to using metric anyway, just a different base unit. I wonder if you can even get proper fractional feeler gauges, 7/2048ths would be a right laugh 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    There is no correct size of a gap/relief  - A player with a light touch and a well set-up guitar can get my with just about no relief - A player with a more aggressive right/picking hand, will need more relief to allow the string to vibrate freely - Or indeed a finger picker on an acoustic

I've never used any tool to measure the gap - Eye and I suppose experience - Quick method is left hand (and first finger at first fret)( or use a capo) - Right hand and thumb at last fret then span that hand over to the 12th fret and tap gently with any finger to see there is just enough of a gap - No gap ='s no relief, but more me I almost have no gap - As I said some will need more and maybe the thickness of an E or B string is a guide line
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    Another factor ref my above posting - I would generally have less, maybe almost no relief, on a model like a USA PRS compared to say a Gibson - The build quality/fret work is generally that much better that I know I can have almost no relief and no string/rattle/fret buzz - Might change that thought if both have been well set-up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom