ToneX One - new release. Mini pedal with Amp Captures, Verb, IR loading etc - £140?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited April 25
    Bloody hell. Powerful little thing, isn't it, and for not much money?

I've watched a few demos now and you can capture a good few pedals at the same time i.e. a pedalboard but I'm not sure if there's a pedal limit or memory limit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24466
    Sounds pretty damn good on bass too.

I might need one.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5535
    And yes, it chugs!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    Yep, gonna have to try one of these I think. Have tried the free ToneX and there's some great captures, only thing I struggle with is vetting "good" captures so you're not chasing your tail trying to dial it in. 

Had been looking at a Pod Express, IR-2 etc but this sounds better to me, the AFD capture in the first demo IK released sounds awesome. Only annoyance for my personal use case would be no headphone out/aux in but I guess that's easily rectified with a small mixer. 
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    TTBZ said:
    Yep, gonna have to try one of these I think. Have tried the free ToneX and there's some great captures, only thing I struggle with is vetting "good" captures so you're not chasing your tail trying to dial it in. 

Had been looking at a Pod Express, IR-2 etc but this sounds better to me, the AFD capture in the first demo IK released sounds awesome. Only annoyance for my personal use case would be no headphone out/aux in but I guess that's easily rectified with a small mixer. 
    IK Multimedia says you can use the output with headphones, apparently
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Pre-ordered from Thomann.  On their website says they'll do a split delivery if you order other stuff as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2201
    Ordered mine directly from IK Media. 

You can plug your phone in to the usbc and power the pedal and also edit it from the phone app. Also the output is stereo, so can plug headphones straight in. Looks like a great pedal for practice. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26666
    edited May 1
    Barnezy said:
    Ordered mine directly from IK Media. 

You can plug your phone in to the usbc and power the pedal and also edit it from the phone app. Also the output is stereo, so can plug headphones straight in. Looks like a great pedal for practice. 
    Presumably only if you have an iPhone, though. That's bloody annoying...I'll have to either run a Windows machine or set it up in a VM to set this thing up.

It's the one flaw, IMO.

EDIT: Also...jeez, it's EUR 179 plus VAT on the IK site. Looked like a good deal up to that point.
    <space for hire>
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    £189 at GuitarGuitar. Imo still a pretty good price considering it's accurate captures of any amp or drive pedal you could possibly want and a pocket sized usb-c powered interface. Would be nice if it could take backing tracks via usb-c as an aux in, I'm hoping that will be available for Android.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    Does someone know where from does IK ship the ToneX in Europe, Italy or US?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • GibboDenGibboDen Frets: 25
    Nearly pulled the trigger on one of these today, but ended up ordering the ToneX pedal special edition (silver ver.), as I think I'd find the extra 2 buttons handy and it comes with a psu.

I've had a quad cortex for about a year and a half. Haven't gigged with it, as have been out of action for quite a while and am bandless (is that a word?:-), but have been using it for recording new tunes at home and am really happy with it (also find it much quicker to programme compared to the Fractal AX8 I used to have, but still wouldn't mind an FM9 some day). 

I ordered the ToneX pedal, partly because I have my quad cortex/pedal board in "the studio" spare room, which I mostly play through my studio monitors, but I have my line 6 powercab in another room, so rather than moving my board in to another room, I thought it'd be cool to have a toneX handy to plug into my powercab when the studio isn't free (wife doing yoga and such.. ) and I was little practice with just a few sounds (and also no distractions on the QC pi$$ing about trying different amps/pedals/rigs/signal paths. Also small enough to put on the sofa and jam with headphones (although I usually find headphones to sound a bit crap).

Couple of other reasons is sometimes I go to a mates place and mess about playing covers and it'll save me taking my pedal board/QC; can just chuck that and maybe a wah pedal in a bag.
    I'll also mess with kind of building a bit of. Backup/hybrid rig; ToneX + some of the analogue pedals I have left probably on a small board. Wouldn't be as convenient for me as the QC, as that allows me to avoid tapdancing whilst singing if I need several pedal/effects changes at the same time.

Only disappointing thing I can think of about the ToneX is that you can't disable the IR for one of the outs, if I wanted to use say a SD powerstage+cab for onstage monitoring+out to PA at the same time.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    I ordered one, I'll use it as dirt stomp box into my regular Tonex.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • champ222champ222 Frets: 34
    GibboDen said:
    Nearly pulled the trigger on one of these today, but ended up ordering the ToneX pedal special edition (silver ver.), as I think I'd find the extra 2 buttons handy and it comes with a psu.

The special edition regular tonex does look like a good deal, interesting that its cheaper than the regular one, which is unusual for a special edition. I suspect there may be a price drop when i one comes out.

Of all of the colours they could have picked for the special edition though, silver? Really? Even more boring than the black (which does look really smart) if it was any other colour (other than champagne/gold because thats just nasty usually) it would be been better. A white one would be mint. It doesnt matter what it looks like i guess.

Ive been looking for a digital solution to replace my amps and stuff at home. I had a quick blast with the free software with my audio interface yesterday. Got some really nice dirty sounds, but stuggled with a nice clean... which was surprising. No doubt i can find one though. Deffo going tonex and i think the bigger unit would work for me. I can leave it on the desk, and plug in a footswitch. Perfect solution i think.

Put some pictures up of the silver one when you get it!