Gretsch thin line pickup selector switch access

What's Hot
JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
I have a Gretsch 6522T (Electromatic, thinline, fully hollow body, double cutaway) - the pickup selector on it has always been a little temperamental, sometimes requiring a flick or two backwards and forwards before it would start working properly if I hadn’t used the guitar for a while, but now it seems to have decided that it doesn’t have a bridge pickup at all and no amount of vigorous switch flicking has persuaded it otherwise.

I’ve seen it suggested that it’s possible to fish the selector switch (mounted on the bass side “horn”) out thorough the neck pickup opening (having first put a bit of tube or thread over it to help guide it back into place) which I can just about countenance having a go at myself rather than pulling the whole wiring loom out through the treble side f-hole which I’m much more wary of, and would probably hand the guitar over to a tech/luthier for…

Can anyone here confirm this and/or offer further suggestions?
Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    Yes, that will work - but before you do, spray some contact cleaner down into the switch with the guitar lying on its back. It will usually reach the switch contacts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10565
    edited April 22 tFB Trader
    It's a common thing on Electromatics it seems:  my current 5420T and my previous 5420T both had the intermittent switch issue. Use proper contact cleaner though not ordinary WD40 or other spray oils. To confuse matters there is now apparently a WD40 contact cleaner as a separate thing from their spray lube ... not tried it myself.

Personally when I upgrade my Gretsch's pickups I'll replace the switch as a matter of course. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    edited April 22
    Cheers both of you, contact cleaner it is then before I dive in with screwdriver and soldering iron…

Any concerns regarding finish with that stuff? I’ll be careful, but it would be a shame to spoil that lovely sparkly blue so if there are any risks I’d like to know up front so I can take due precautions… 

No, contact cleaner is safe enough even on nitro, and a modern Gretsch - or pretty much any far-eastern-made guitar - will be polyurethane or polyester. Those are pretty much immune to any solvent damage.

I agree with OilCityPickups though, if cleaner doesn't sort it and you have to get the switch out, you're as well to replace it with a better one rather than try to fix it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    No, contact cleaner is safe enough even on nitro, and a modern Gretsch - or pretty much any far-eastern-made guitar - will be polyurethane or polyester. Those are pretty much immune to any solvent damage.

I agree with OilCityPickups though, if cleaner doesn't sort it and you have to get the switch out, you're as well to replace it with a better one rather than try to fix it.
    And congratulations you are experiencing the great joy of Gretsch ownership ... an experience that is unchanged pretty much in 70 years: You buy a Gretsch then you realise that to make it play the way it should/you want it to - you have to change/upgrade/hotrod pretty much everything. :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 139
    ICBM said:

And congratulations you are experiencing the great joy of Gretsch ownership ... an experience that is unchanged pretty much in 70 years: You buy a Gretsch then you realise that to make it play the way it should/you want it to - you have to change/upgrade/hotrod pretty much everything. :-)

The phrase "Trigger's broom" comes to mind...!
    BobHillman said:

Or, indeed, "Roy Orbison's Gretsch". :)

https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2011/07/roy-orbisons-gretschgibsonsho-bud-guitar.html

• BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 139
    ICBM said:
    BobHillman said:

https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2011/07/roy-orbisons-gretschgibsonsho-bud-guitar.html

That's a guitar that I was not previously aware of. And, of course, we can't ask Roy when he last saw it, can we?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    ICBM said:
    but before you do, spray some contact cleaner down into the switch with the guitar lying on its back. It will usually reach the switch contacts.
    I was going to say that, but wasn't 100% sure it'd work with a toggle switch! That certainly worked for me with a Tokai Tele (enclosed lever switch IIRC).

(Yes I was too lazy to unscrew two screws! Or maybe it was a good while ago and I didn't realise the electronics compartment was so easy to get to!)
    ICBM said:
    BobHillman said:

That’s terrific!

I imagine we’ll never see an official tribute/replica for Very Obvious Legal reasons, which is A Damned Shame…

JayGee said:
    ICBM said:
    BobHillman said:

That’s terrific!

I imagine we’ll never see an official tribute/replica for Very Obvious Legal reasons, which is A Damned Shame…

Or possibly a crying shame… :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Sadly contact cleaner hasn’t (yet - who knows, one more spray and wiggle might just displace a stubborn lump of something and it seems unlikely that trying will make things worse…) done the trick so it looks like I’ll be performing exploratory surgery over the weekend. Hopefully it’ll be a failed switch or a relatively accessible connection, but if it looks like more than that it’ll probably be off to a tech/luthier to be rewired with nicer bits on the basis that if I have to pay to have the whole loom fished out and replaced I might as well at least try to make it a “one and done” deal.

And yes, while I have successfully fixed open, snap together switches previously there’s no way I’d go down that road with something I can’t get access to just by undoing a couple of screws….

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7899
    Lob it. Get a decent switch. If it’s playing up now, it will always be a pain in the ass. 
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    Lob it. Get a decent switch. If it’s playing up now, it will always be a pain in the ass. 
    Exactly - love Electromatics as I do ... the switches are a weak link ... bin it! 

Update. After absolutely drowning the switch in contact cleaner a couple of times and making sure that the liquid was actually going down past the shaft and into the switch (I think I may have been a little stingy previously) it’s now working perfectly. :-)

But yeah, it it starts playing up again (suggesting it wasn’t just a lump of crud which has been floating around in there since day one) then it’s going in favour of something nicer from one of the usual suspects…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    ^ Great result!  =)