DP&W

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
Just for my birthday, they put out the trailer for Deadpool & Wolverine.

I don't care that it's part of the MCU at this point, and if I'm honest it'd be lovely if this film killed it. Go out on a high.

So. Much. Yes.

Also, please be careful if you're in the office and you have the audio on. It's not a family-friendly trailer.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27112
    I am so in 

Not even that big a fan of the first 2, but this has the potential to kill all the stuff that isn't working in the MCU and give them one big fucking excuse to just get one with the X-men shit we've all been waiting for :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26631
    I am so in 

Not even that big a fan of the first 2, but this has the potential to kill all the stuff that isn't working in the MCU and give them one big fucking excuse to just get one with the X-men shit we've all been waiting for :)
    Yes, definitely. To be honest, it would likely be better if they realised that when they scaled everything up to "cosmic", they left themselves nowhere to go. If this wipes out the whole of the MCU and replaces it with an X-Men universe, which could easily be done given the Loki/TVA connection, then I think most folk will be happy. There certainly aren't any characters left in the MCU with open stories that anyone wants to see again (at least, none that haven't been tainted by the shenanigans with the TV shows), I don't think.

A hard reset with a character like Deadpool is probably the perfect way to go about it. Especially since the Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe comic was pretty damn great, it seems fitting.
    <space for hire>
    Yeah exactly. I'd be very happy to see more from Loki & Spiderman, but off the top of my head I'm not massively bothered about anyone else, I think? Scarlet Witch would be good but she's dead (maybe). If they fanangle it so we can have a bit more of OG Cap and Iron Man that's got legs too. But I don't care about Thor beyond a reunion with Loki, I'm meh on Strange and CapFalcon and Bucky and Hulk and honestly I can barely even remember the other characters they've thrown at us since then. I didn't hate The Marvels by any stretch but I just don't care.

What I really want is good movies. If that's 3 a year then great! If it's 1 a year because the really talented people only have so much bandwidth that's also great because my god I'd rather see 1 great film than 3 mediocre ones. But I appreciate the suits probably don't want to hear that...

But any sort of F4 movie that isn't turgid shit, and any X-men movie that's not just the FUCKING DARK PHOENIX SSTORY DONE EVEN WORSE AGAIN would be nice.

As to your point on having nowhere to go - this is true for SO MUCH media. Studios seem to feel like every movie has to have higher stakes than the last, but there literally is nowhere to go beyond multiverse, so they have no choice but to go smaller from this point forwards. 
    Indeed. Of the characters we had...

Black Widow: Dead
    Iron Man: Dead, replaced by a teenager.
    Cap: Old
    Thor: Ruined by the latest film.
    Captain Marvel: Ruined by all the films.
    She-Hulk: Was in the wrong TV series.
    Hulk: Ruined by She-Hulk.
    Hawkeye: Retired, replaced by a teenager.
    Black Panther: Replaced by a teenager.
    Doctor Strange: Ruined by the latest film.
    Scarlet Witch: Ruined by the latest film, wasn't even her film.
    Vision: Dead, Dead and floating around somewhere.
    Spider Man: Held captive by Sony.
    Loki: Story's finished, nowhere else to go.
    Bucky: No particularly interesting stories left, unless he encounters DP (which could actually be quite fun)
    Guardians: Fun as a one-shot, but none of the characters were particularly memorable to me (and the story's done anyway).

They have absolutely no IP left with which to make an engaging film. So...let's hope, eh? Maybe it might be Deadpool Fires All The MCU Writers and we can get back to having some fun, engaging films to watch.
    <space for hire>
    Shit I forgot about Vision. I liked him.

I don't think Strange was ruined - I enjoyed the last movie. But that doesn't mean I want 3 more of the same thing either.

I liked the GOTG as well but still haven't seen #3 yet because honestly #2 was only meh for me - suspect #1 was largely a lightning/bottle moment.

You also didn't mention Eternals, Shang Chi, or Antman. I also don't mind! :)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28401
    Happy birthday!
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited April 22
    Sporky said:
    Happy birthday!
    Oh shit - missed this bit. 

Many happy returns Dig! 

I don't think Strange was ruined - I enjoyed the last movie. But that doesn't mean I want 3 more of the same thing either.
    I didn't really, because it made absolutely zero sense to me from the outset. A character built around magic shouldn't be primarily concerned with multiverse-level problems. And, honestly, that film was more about Wanda than it was Strange (even then, it wrecked her character when they could've done so much more with it).

I liked the GOTG as well but still haven't seen #3 yet because honestly #2 was only meh for me - suspect #1 was largely a lightning/bottle moment.
    Yeah, #1 was OK-ish but leaned a bit too far into the humour for me (mind you, that probably says more about me than it does the film). #2 was totally average, and I haven't watched #3 because one of the animals looks a bit like one of the dogs we used to have, and I'm not convinced I can cope with that given that I know what happens later in the film.

You also didn't mention Eternals, Shang Chi, or Antman. I also don't mind! :)
    Sorry, should've said "Of the worthwhile characters we had..." ;)
    Sporky said:
    Happy birthday!
    Thanks! I got Lego...amusingly enough, it was the Infinity Gauntlet :D
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    I am so in 

Yes, definitely. To be honest, it would likely be better if they realised that when they scaled everything up to "cosmic", they left themselves nowhere to go. 

Totally agree

I read a great article a while back about how Batman and Spiderman always work well because they are usually trying to save the city which is something you understand and can relate to whereas the universe or multiverse is so abstract it's impossible to care about.
    I am so in 

Yes, definitely. To be honest, it would likely be better if they realised that when they scaled everything up to "cosmic", they left themselves nowhere to go. 

Totally agree

I read a great article a while back about how Batman and Spiderman always work well because they are usually trying to save the city which is something you understand and can relate to whereas the universe or multiverse is so abstract it's impossible to care about.
    Well, it depends on what you're planning to do.

Escalating to universal/multiversal scales is absolutely fine...if that's going to be the end of the story. Loki's ending did exactly that and was actually pretty perfect - it was designed to finish the character's journey, and if it was an isolated property...bang-on, perfect, stop there, sit back and admire your work.

If you do it in the middle of a franchise you want to continue, though, that presents more of a problem. Once you've done that, everything you make after that point becomes the equivalent of the Black Widow film - you're re-treading old ground with a character that has no future, and there aren't any stakes left to care about even if you can wrap your head around it.

Matrix Resurrections was the other side of the coin, whereby they've already done everything that needed to be done but wanted to squeeze a bit more out of it, so they just remade the trilogy - condensed into a single film - with "Ah, but wait..." as the premise. The first act was great and fairly imaginative, and then they ran out of ideas.

The lesson here is...unless you've got a truly great series of ideas, you don't have a franchise any more and please for the love of god stop.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24379
    I'm looking forward to this.

I'd like to see more of Domino - she was ace in DP2.
    I really like Dr Strange and I didn't mind the last film, but going too mad in other dimensions just makes me not give a crap about our dimension - there's no risk.

I have no idea how popular it was 40 years ago, but I read Alpha Flight more than the other team comics. They just appealed to me more. Get some of them in!

I'd like to see more of Domino - she was ace in DP2.

Great shout! A lot of folk complained that a perfectly-lucky character is as bad as an all-powerful character like Captain Marvel, but it'd be ace if they'd explore the fact that her luck only works in her favour, not that of her teammates. So, having her on the team is as dangerous to each member as she is helpful to their end goal.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    All hail Marvel Jesus !