Rodding out drains...

RockerRocker Frets: 5022
yes, the wastewater pipes from the house to the septic tank.  Those of you who live in urban estates, apartments and hi rise will be unaware of the need to help the human waste find its way from the toilets to the septic tank.  Urban types do not need septic tanks, all the waste is piped to a central 'centre'.

In our installation, the slope of the pipe from the house to the septic tank is too severe.  The liquid part flows quicker than the solid material, thus every few months the solids build up and block the pipe.  Pushing a sewer rod through the pipe restarts the flow.

Every year to eighteen months, we get the septic tank emptied.  Contractors charge €160 for this job.  I am not suggesting that there exists a septic tank emptying cartel, it is pure coincidence that they all charge €160 for the job.

Just one of the little taks that require doing every few months.  Not nearly as objectionable as it sounds.  At least I know where the "stuff" came from and where it is going....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    I don't have a septic tank but have had to rod out the drains from time to time. I quite like it - bit of macho activity yet requires no particular strength or skill.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I haven't done any rodding for far too long.
    My V key is broken