Happy St Georges Day

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10384
    edited April 25

Check out these morons if you want a good laugh. If you didn't know any different, you could be mistaken for thinking it's a sketch from Brass Eye. The UK equivalent of MAGA loons 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 801
    edited April 25
    Ah, the old "butchers apron"  

I don't think anyone outside England really cares. Most other countries have their own problems to worry about. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19319

Check out these morons if you want a good laugh. If you didn't know any different, you could be mistaken for thinking it's a sketch from Brass Eye. The UK equivalent of MAGA loons 

Didn't the Magaloons form Prefab Sprout?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    Link wasn't working.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4280
    robgilmo said:

Just seen this vid on YouTube. Some of the comments are thoroughly depressing and utterly predictable.

Jesus, WTF is wrong with these people?
    Omg ,the true dregs of society 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4280
    Philly_Q said:
    Link wasn't working.

These people are the reason I despise the flag , that & the fact it’s used as a rallying call to gain support for wars & military action overseas that we have no business being involved in 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7018
    Philly_Q said:
    Link wasn't working.

These people are the reason I despise the flag , that & the fact it’s used as a rallying call to gain support for wars & military action overseas that we have no business being involved in 
    The first lady interviewed has a good point though, I haven’t seen “Meat and two veg” as an option on a menu for years.. lol
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Philly_Q said:
    Link wasn't working.

Fixed  :)

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1417
    Sant Jordi day in Catalonia seems a lot more civilised in comparison :)
    People sell books and roses.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12432
    Philly_Q said:
    Link wasn't working.

With hindsight, you may regard that as a blessing :-)
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Link wasn't working.

A good old Church of England blessing naturally.

• SporkySporky Frets: 29056
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Link wasn't working.

A good old Church of England blessing naturally.

Not one of these weird foreign religious ceremonies someone's brought in. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9974
    edited April 26
    There's a mother and daughter in my pub quiz team who are generally decent nice (if a little difficult) people, until they suddenly remember something they read on the Daily Mail website and then they spout out the kind of gibberish in the video above. Lots of talk of a mysterious group of people called "they", "they" seem to be quite a conflicted group, because in the last few weeks "they" are simultaneously too woke and letting in immigrants to our country, but also they are apparently closing off tourist destinations and stopping us going because "they" want to keep the places to themselves. They are very much in the feeling of being victimised but can't really say how. 

The quiz people are 58 and 80 respectively, both chartered accountants (though one obviously retired), so you'd think were educated enough to have actual opinions with reasons, but they seem to have a weird brain fog that kicks in as soon as they remember whatever "woke" story they've read this week. 

I tried to change the subject from their rambling about St George's day at Wednesday's quiz by suggesting that I'd celebrate a Shakespeare day much more than a day to celebrate a fairy story saint who had nothing to do with us. They walked right into the trap and started saying "Ah yes well "they" want us to have a black Juliet now as well don't "they"!"

To which I very smugly said, "Yes true, we should have more authentic Shakespeare productions - with Juliet being played by a 13 year old boy in drag instead then".

They shut up about it then for a good while.

Full disclosure - I am a raving lefty but I understand there are other views and theories about things from all over the spectrum that could work for the greater good, or that discussing every side of am issue can bring about a better compromise than simply arguing. But shit like the stuff they are saying in that video really does degrade the views of those further right on the spectrum than I (in a similar way that some of the environmental protestors have done for us lefties as well in fairness)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    edited April 26
    The thing about videos like that is what are they hoping to achieve with it. The guy is trying to come across as intellectual but is really just mocking. It doesn't seem to achieve anything intellectual at all.

Not that I agree with the people being questioned but if I did I'm pretty sure things like that wouldn't impress and probably just make me more stubborn. 

I think it's better to try and understand people than just looking down your nose at them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think there's a large section of society that feel they have no voice or power and this gives them something to hold on to.

Certainly not saying it's right but pretty sure pointing at them and calling them idiots isn't going to fix it. 
    Kurtis said:
    I think there's a large section of society that feel they have no voice or power and this gives them something to hold on to.

Certainly not saying it's right but pretty sure pointing at them and calling them idiots isn't going to fix it. 
    I get your drift, but no-one pointed at them and called them idiots.  They managed to convey that impression all by themselves with very little prompting.  They were simply asked why they were there.

The only conclusion I could reach is that their motivation was - at least in part - racial.  I mean... nursery rhymes FFS... we all know where that one was going!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12520
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:

I get your drift, but no-one pointed at them and called them idiots.  They managed to convey that impression all by themselves with very little prompting.  They were simply asked why they were there.

The only conclusion I could reach is that their motivation was - at least in part - racial.  I mean... nursery rhymes FFS... we all know where that one was going!
    Earlier in the thread someone called them the dregs of society to be fair. 
    edited April 26
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:

I mean the guy literally chuckles at them. 

"Check out these morons if you want a good laugh." 

I just think that claiming some sort of superiority might not look that different to what you're claiming they are doing. 
    ^^ I'm not sure what I'm claiming they are doing apart from making themselves look daft.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9974
    I actually think that taking the piss out of each other is something that brings the best and worst out in the general population. I think it's something very British and we are quite good at leg pulling, piss taking, mocking etc and I always enjoy when collectively the nation rallies together to supremely take the piss out of somebody or something, the Wonkaland thing, Huw Edwards, the four lads in Skinny Jeans etc. It feels quite instilled in our culture and can be comedy gold and a great way of people bonding together. 

The flipside of that is that it can get nasty or even oppressive at times I suppose. People like me mocking the mentality in the video, or things like when older people seem to enjoy telling any generation below them their school/college exam results are worth nothing because it was harder in their day, or how people will say there's no such thing as dyslexia or adhd or any kind of mental health whatsoever and anybody that claims to have it are just stupid, naughty, or ungratefully miserable. There's a lot to get bogged down in and I don't pretend to be any less guilty of being an idiot than anybody else.

In fact that's why I no longer vote because there isn't any representation for me and I actually think it would be quite arrogant of me to claim my vote would be right for such a massively diverse country as this. I just turn up and deface the paper. I'm happy to be mocked and piss taken though as well, if that helps
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom