Crosswords - Cryptic or Simplex?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4987
Those who solve crosswords, do you choose the Cryptic or Simplex puzzles?

I prefer Simplex as I cannot ‘get’ the Cryptic clues. Which do you prefer?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    Times quick cryptic. Sometimes the Times full cryptic. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I learned how to get the gist with cryptic clues by doing the saturday daily mail giant crossword. 2 sets of clues for the same answer. I would use the quick clue and then figure out how to get the same answer from the cryptic clue. I found i can get the answers to the cryptic clues (which i would have no chance of gettiing were it a quick clue) as the answer is in the clue most of the time. Really enjoy cryptic crosswords.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    I do the crossword in the I paper and sometimes have a look at the cryptic answers the next day and still don't get them lol
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
    edited April 23
    I used to do the Times and Independent cryptic crosswords and could normally complete (or nearly complete) them. 

I probably couldn’t complete them now; I found that doing them every day got me into the groove of how the compilers’ minds worked. But since I haven’t bought a paper for years I’m pretty sure I’d have got out of the habit. It’s definitely one of those things where habit, routine, whatever, helps.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27137
    I don’t like cryptic crosswords. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9823
    edited April 23
    I like cryptic but i'm not very good at them, I can only do the very simplest of ones.

Earlier this year i did this website's easy one every day for about 4 weeks and after I'd done it each day my brain was absolutely on fire, like really manically active and I talked too much. It clearly did something to my brain function, I go to a quiz every wednesday and the second week of me doing them I remember arriving like a whirlwind and answering loads or getting others to the answer, the team looked quite bewildered so I had to shut myself up and I stopped doing them eventually for that reason.
    https://simplydailypuzzles.com/daily-cryptic/
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18876
    Hmmmm, is this a straight question ?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    edited April 24
    Hmmmm, is this a straight question ?
    Well it’s neither an acrostic nor a pangram D 

Love wrestling with the tortured minds behind the Guardian cryptic, personally.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    P.S. the Guardian has recently introduced a ‘Quick Cryptic’, as a great introduction for the curious. 

There is a brief explanation of how the clues work, and as a first toe in the water, I think it’s great.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1863
    Telegraph cryptic for me.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    edited April 24
    Cryptic for me, usually Guardian, Telegraph or Times. It's something my wife and I do together again, after a few years where we'd fallen into the habit of scrolling through our respective phones instead. 

Hence our kitchen tiling....

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2286
    I like the cryptics.
    The Sun is prob easiest
    Evening Standard is not too much harder
    Metro is a bit harder
    Times Quick Cryptic is about as tricky as I can (sometimes) manage.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1176
    Only newspaper I buy is The Times on a Saturday.  I do the prize cryptic and the Jumbo cryptic, rarely complete them but usually get close.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 375
    I haven't bought a newspaper in 20 years. Mrs J likes a puzzle book so I mostly get my crossword fix from them or the freebie Waitrose weekend paper.

I used to work with a bloke who drove a ride on mower for a living and could almost daily complete the Guardian cryptic in a half hour lunch break. His name was Nick.

I prefer normal crosswords as they play much more to my strengths.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7050
    tFB Trader
    Guardian Cryptic here. I do the Quick Crossword too but with a cryptic you get two hints at every answer (definition and cryptic part).
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7050
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    P.S. the Guardian has recently introduced a ‘Quick Cryptic’, as a great introduction for the curious. 

There is a brief explanation of how the clues work, and as a first toe in the water, I think it’s great.
    Saturdays only I think?
    JerkMoans said:

Saturdays only I think?
    Not sure. Once a week. But a great induction for the cryptic-curious :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28511
    There are books of the Times Quick Cryptics - 80-100 in each, and a worked-through example at the front. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3633
    I'm a big fan of both.

Obviously the simplex can be a done over a quick cuppa or whatever with much more time required for the cryptics.
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 310
    I heard a story, not sure if it is true, but a construction worker and office manager type use to ride the same train to work do the same crossword in one of the broadsheets.  

The journey took them about 40 minutes with the construction worker getting off the train first. After a while they exchanged pleasantries with the worker saying things like "tricky one today,  pretty easy this morning, 14 down was a bit tough" and the like.The office worker never let on that he found the crossword difficult and couldn't understand how someone working on a building site could breeze through the puzzle. The worker always left his paper on the train which was tempting for the office guy to have a look at but he never did, he just wound himself up over the fact that he had finished the crossword.

One day the construction worker flew through the crossword and as he was leaving said goodbye to his "crossword buddy" also saying that was his last day on site and he was moving to another job the following week. This time he went over and looked at the paper that was left on the seat and found the crossword fully completed  with random letters in all of the boxes it was a big wind up all along.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom