Dipped in tone- Chris Buck

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
I found this a really good watch. Whether you like his playing or not, that’s irrelevant - the chat includes aspects of his professional life as a musician, yt-er, band etc and is really interesting. He covers economics of touring, ticket sales, merch and more so it’s really interesting.

https://youtu.be/5Oc2QFaHW0A?si=X86ePAzA4QG4CFyc

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    It's in my looong podcast queue. 

Chris Buck comes across as a straight-talking, down to earth bloke with a huge talent but also a nice line in self-depreciating humour. I imagine he'd be good company at the pub.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1359
    Saw him at a recent event at a local music store and found him very amiable and a font of knowledge all things guitar and the logistics of the industry. 

Particularly interesting was his band's struggle to get a keyboard player to tour Europe with them. Basically if they weren't already taken then finding anyone to do it given the meagre wages involved was nigh on impossible.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    It's in my looong podcast queue. 

Chris Buck comes across as a straight-talking, down to earth bloke with a huge talent but also a nice line in self-depreciating humour. I imagine he'd be good company at the pub.
    All of this. I'm guessing this should be a decent listen 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8733
    edited April 24
    ... I'm guessing this should be a decent listen 
    It is.
    ... I imagine he'd be good company at the pub.
    Having spoken with him at the Guitar Show I’m certain that he would be.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
    Having bought tickets to see Cardinal Black tomorrow night I was keen to listen to this today. 

Great interview with Chris, thought he came across well and I'm knows his stuff though he doesn't like teaching guitar. Fair dos. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    Oh I see they're in Chester on Friday...
    If you grabbed tickets you are in for a great show. Just got home from seeing them in MK. A beautiful tonal performance. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6904
    Neilybob said:
    If you grabbed tickets you are in for a great show. Just got home from seeing them in MK. A beautiful tonal performance. 
    I was tempted to see them last night at Craufurt, but I’d already booked to see Kula Shaker in Wolverhampton. Will keep an eye out if they play there again.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    Neilybob said:
    I saw them last year in Manchester. An excellent band and Chris' guitar playing is superb of course.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely love Chris Buck and his playing. I need to listen to him though and not watch him play as he has some really annoying playing habits lol
    Absolutely love Chris Buck and his playing. I need to listen to him though and not watch him play as he has some really annoying playing habits lol
    Are you not a fan of the neck waggle and the Cum face???
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlunAlun Frets: 125
    Very interesting guy that speaks well on the things that matter to him. Easily one of the best modern players out there too, IMO. Just staggeringly good phrasing no matter what he's going for. 
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 232
    Absolutely love Chris Buck and his playing.
    So do I +++ but I really do not like Cardinal Black at all, particularly the singer's "soulful" style and delivery. 
    I know they're good of their type, but not my thing at all: Every damn song is about some girl and her "sweet love" or somesuch crap!
    steveh said:
    So do I +++ but I really do not like Cardinal Black at all, particularly the singer's "soulful" style and delivery. 
    I know they're good of their type, but not my thing at all: Every damn song is about some girl and her "sweet love" or somesuch crap!
    Are you more of a fan of “savoury love” ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I hadn't realised "Jump In" was about the terminal death of a close friend of the band.  Wow those lyrics now really hit hard. 

"Take my hand and dive with me
    And we'll wake up where the water's cold, now
    and

jump in"
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3767
    steveh said:
    I like Chris in interviews, he’s got a lovely touch, so I went to try Cardinal Black. 100% get this. His guitar playing is lost and wasted on this material, to my ears. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 384
    I was at the Chester gig and thought it was great! Just had a good time really - I knew Chris would be great and he was - I liked the singer too, was chilled out. I thought the tele at beginning sounded the best out of the guitars! 
    steveh said:
    I like Chris in interviews, he’s got a lovely touch, so I went to try Cardinal Black. 100% get this. His guitar playing is lost and wasted on this material, to my ears. 
    I've only just checked 'em out - and got an immediate Rag'N'Bone man vibe... 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11902
    CaseOfAce said:
    steveh said:
    I'm getting a sense that you don't consider this to be a plus, and I'd have to say neither would I.  I'll dip my toe but this very much sounds like a case of admiring someone's playing but not liking their material.
    Offset said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    steveh said:
    I'm getting a sense that you don't consider this to be a plus, and I'd have to say neither would I.  I'll dip my toe but this very much sounds like a case of admiring someone's playing but not liking their material.
    Not at all Offset.
    Human is a cracking song...and was a massive hit.
    BUT
    There's a tonne of exceptional guitar players out there... Buck, Bowers, Bailio, St.Vincent have been mentioned on here in the past 7 days....
    It doesn't matter how much hot press, signature guitars, pedals and amps, virtuosity, pedalboard rig rundowns and all the other paraphernalia inherent on guitar discussion nerd forums - if your act hasn't written that one 3 minute gem laced with pixie dust - irrespective of instrumentation.. it's a long hard slog to obscurity.