November Rain in a covers band

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
edited April 24 in Live
I'm currently having quite a heated argument with our singer about this....

We all agreed to learn November Rain for our set, and had a rehearsal on Monday. While it certainly needs some polish, we got through the entire song, and I think it sounded damn good for a first attempt!

However, the singer was moaning ahead of this saying it was too long and should be trimmed; I argued that if you trim it, you lose the whole purpose of the song as it has a lot of different elements and parts.

He's now come back after rehearsal saying we 'definitely' need to trim it. I'm standing firm - we either do the whole thing, or we don't play it. What's the f'ing point in doing an abridged version??

Has anyone else encountered this or a similar issue before? Which stance do you take? Maybe it's because I'm playing lead and the solos in this are bloody awesome - but I refuse to shorten it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I love the song but do the general pub going masses want to hear two full solos if that’s where you’re playing?

if it’s a cover in a concert environment there’s more space for longer instrumentals I guess.  

Play for your audience is what I’m saying!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28715
    Will there be room in the Dog And Duck to set up a clifftop for the solo? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    I should also add - we have a residency at a biker bar, so the majority of us feel it would go down pretty well.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28715
    I agree that it shouldn't be trimmed. At most trim the solos if they're too overindulgent, but I'm pretty sure that's the point. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1371
    edited April 24
    I'm with the singer on this one. The full 9 minute ballad down The Black Dog? Yikes.
    You could give it a go I guess but I can only imagine the tumbleweed rolling across the dancefloor for this one.
    Kudos for not doing the obvious Sweet Child cover though (which we ourselves do !!)  =)

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CaseOfAce said:
    I'm with the singer on this one. The full 9 minute ballad down The Black Dog? Yikes.
    You could give it a go I guess but I can only imagine the tumbleweed rolling across the dancefloor for this one.
    Kudos for not doing the obvious Sweet Child cover though. 

.....that's our final encore ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    FarleyUK said:
    I should also add - we have a residency at a biker bar, so the majority of us feel it would go down pretty well.
    I'd say this is the perfect context to do it properly. Almost any other would be awful.

I'd also consider a way to segue it into something else at the halfway point in case people aren't into it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3307
    Sporky said:
    Will there be room in the Dog And Duck to set up a clifftop for the solo? 
    They'll have to move the mini-Henge sideways.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Our band have an agreement/rule….despite our own personal reservations on a song..we try it….and let the punters decide

sometimes we have been proven correct….other times (surprisingly perhaps) we have been proven wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4134
    We play Highway Star by deep purple at gigs, it's quite long and often feels very indulgent, I play both the keyboard solo (on guitar) and guitar solos.  Feels like it goes on for ever but fans of deep purple tell us they enjoyed hl seeing it played live.  Maybe GnR fans will enjoy NR full live too.  

Another option is a medley, a bit if NR, then Nightrain, then Paradise city.
    We play Highway Star by deep purple at gigs, it's quite long and often feels very indulgent, I play both the keyboard solo (on guitar) and guitar solos.  Feels like it goes on for ever but fans of deep purple tell us they enjoyed hl seeing it played live.  Maybe GnR fans will enjoy NR full live too.  

Another option is a medley, a bit if NR, then Nightrain, then Paradise city.
    Yeah, we play that too - thankfully we have a keyboard player though!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    I think you should do it like the record. I remember DJs getting abuse for fading the record before the big solo when it was out as a single. You'll only have people moaning if you don't do it fully. It's all venue dependent anyway.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17670
    tFB Trader
    From a long history of playing in bands you can only put things in front of a crowd and see how they react and it's not obvious.

Our singer wanted to do "Are Friends Electric" for ages and we all said it would go down like shit. We tried it and everyone loved it. (I think half the crowd thought it was new wave the other half probably thought it was by the sugar babes) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4212
    From a long history of playing in bands you can only put things in front of a crowd and see how they react and it's not obvious.

Our singer wanted to do "Are Friends Electric" for ages and we all said it would go down like shit. We tried it and everyone loved it. (I think half the crowd thought it was new wave the other half probably thought it was by the sugar babes) 
    Died in the wool rocker here & Id love to hear “are friends electric” at a pub gig , awesome song
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4212
    It’s got to be the full length version  , also if it’s a biker bar that’s even better 
      Plenty of long songs still get played at bar gigs  especially if it’s an audience who appreciate & live that type of music 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4727
    FarleyUK said:

However, the singer was moaning ahead of this saying it was too long and should be trimmed; I argued that if you trim it, you lose the whole purpose of the song as it has a lot of different elements and parts.

I'd argue you'll presumably be trimming the production so why not trim the length?

For it to work probably needs strings, assume keyboard player will be doing those along with the piano.  Obviously backing vocals are a big part as well so for the full song all those parts need to be covered.

There's no reason why you can't do it but it's the most un-bicker bar friendly G&R song and 9 minutes is a long time for a live ballad imo.  

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1462
    Who is going to decide what gets cut?

My opinion, worth what you paid, is play the effing song or decide not to. Stripped down, sure. But shorter? Nah. There are planty of other songs. You do need to nail it though.

Perhaps you should gently tease your singer by implying that he can't hit all the correct notes in the full song?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    GoFish said:
    Who is going to decide what gets cut?

My opinion, worth what you paid, is play the effing song or decide not to. Stripped down, sure. But shorter? Nah. There are planty of other songs. You do need to nail it though.

Perhaps you should gently tease your singer by implying that he can't hit all the correct notes in the full song?
    Yep, I've said as much. We either do the whole thing, or we don't do any of it.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24644
    It's not a bad song but the big solo is the worst Slash ever recorded.

Re-arrange it into a sing-a-long for the punters and bin the solos.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 811
    No to the trimming! If it's November Rain it's got to be played in it's entirety! Including legs wide apart, outside the church O⁠_⁠o