November Rain in a covers band

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    In my experience there are people who want to dance and people who want to watch and listen to a piece of music. There's room for everything at some point, it's not like the set list is laminated and once set can't be changed. 

We do Brightside, uptown Funk, Shut up and Dance etc but we also do muso numbers like Hotel California, loads of Floyd, Muse, Radiohead, KOL etc. 

You pick your songs for the gig like players for a match. If you are trailing a bit and the audience isn't digging Fake plastic trees then tell Brightside to get off the bench and warm up. 

So learn the whole thing as convincingly as you can. You won't use it every gig but there will be times when it fit perfectly. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Neilybob said:
    No to the trimming! If it's November Rain it's got to be played in its entirety! Including legs wide apart, outside the church O⁠_⁠o
    Yes but only if you can deliver it with the guitar unplugged...  

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    FarleyUK said:
    I should also add - we have a residency at a biker bar, so the majority of us feel it would go down pretty well.
    I'd say this is the perfect context to do it properly. Almost any other would be awful.

I'd also consider a way to segue it into something else at the halfway point in case people aren't into it
    100% this.

That said, it's a really odd choice to cover. SCoM or nowt, IMO.

Doesn't help that I absolutely detest November Rain, in all its overblown, empty pomp. That said, I have to cover Sixx:AM AND Nickelback at an upcoming gig, so I am in no position to point the finger!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 326
    The worst solo Slash ever recorded! Takes all sorts.

Anyway these discussions happen a lot in my bands. I'm Team "There was something special about the original and unless there is a clear compelling reason, that's what we should play".

Sometimes band members will say that song X is repetitive or boring; my take is that if you don't like the song enough to want to play it through, let's not do so. Who wants to hear a band who's not convinced by the songs they're playing?
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3090
    topdog91 said:
    Who wants to hear a band who's not convinced by the songs they're playing?
    I find I can love stuff I've previously found lukewarm once I've learned it. As if the inner beauty has somehow revealed itself.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    that's a tough song to pull off live, even GnR doesn't sound great when they've done it.

I see it as one of those long epic tunes like Stairway to Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody where if you do it, you do the whole thing and getting all the way through it is part of the challenge and becomes part of the show.

Tell your singer to pipe down, they're just salty because there's not a lot of vocals for a song that long! :)

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2460
    Champagne Supernova isn't far off the same length and no one has a problem doing that. All or nowt. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 259
    Just added another listen to the 2.1 billion on YT. Not sure what you’d shorten in it. People who don’t like it will just ignore it and people who love it will know you’ve short changed them and they’ll not be happy either. Play the whole thing :)
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 259
    This band give it a decent go & it’s almost 9 minutes. The (limited) audience are loving it, especially into the last section
    https://youtu.be/FhHaPNyCsFk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • whatwhat Frets: 36
    The end section is the only reason to sit through the rest of the song in my opinion.

That said, it really depends on the audience - they might be like me and disappear to the bar, or they might love it
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 326
    This band give it a decent go & it’s almost 9 minutes. The (limited) audience are loving it, especially into the last section
    https://youtu.be/FhHaPNyCsFk
    Ah, 7:30 onwards. The joy of the small gig! *facepalm*
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • supessupes Frets: 183
    I love G'n'R but think it's an odd choice when there's so many great album tracks that don't get played at all.
    At some point i've gigged every song on Appetite and none have bombed! 

That being said, you've learnt it now, so what's the point of changing it now? Our rule is if it works in rehearsal we try it live and see how it goes. If it's not working in rehearsal just move on. Nothing worse than spending hours getting a complex song "right" then dropping it because it bombed!

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Just do the bit from where slash gets up on the piano and it gets a bit groovier. The entire rest of the song is just set up for that part anyway.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2422
    Just do the bit from where slash gets up on the piano and it gets a bit groovier. The entire rest of the song is just set up for that part anyway.
    Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to balance on the keys player's keyboards for that bit.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5434
    Do not trim.

Your keyboard player has an advantage in that the strings in that song were 100% synthesised... there isn't a real violin, viola, cello or double bass to be seen for miles on that record. So you should be able to do it note-for-note!
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1476
    I'd cut the whole song tbh.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom