Buying a used acoustic - delivery advice

What's Hot
AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 175
I have spotted an acoustic guitar that I’m particularly interested in on eBay, but it’s in a location totally impractical for collection (the sea is involved). The new value is about £1500, and it’s a OOO sized body, no electrics.

The seller is offering postage, and the guitar comes in its stock hardcase. I’ve dropped them a message to ask how they’re planning to post it and which courier they would use.

Any recommendations on how this should be posted? E.g. padding in the hard case, around the hard case, etc? Any couriers who aren’t shit?

Or is the best bet just to forget about it, and wait for one to show up somewhere less impossible for collection?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 243
    Sorry to be a downer but you might like to play the instrument first, unless you're very sure about what you're buying, before worrying about delivery.
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 175
    There is that. Although it is from one of those boringly consistent brands, I have played its cheaper sister model (same dimensions, less fancy trimmings), and the price is keen. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3727
    I’ve sent and received instruments in hard cases. 

I make sure that it fits snugly in the case with extra bubble wrap to stop it moving if required and then make sure that the case fits snugly in the box, ideally with extra packaging top and bottom in case it gets dropped on its end. 

Remember that we only usually hear about couriers when something goes wrong and it’s the sellers responsibility to make sure that it’s properly packed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27641
    I've had a few acoustics delivered over the past 12 or so months.

Some hardcased, some in (padded) gigbags, in purpose designed outer boxes, with packing inside the box to prevent the case/bag moving around too much.

No problems at all.

Bottom line:  if a courier wants to damage a guitar, they'll damage it no matter what protection it's been given, but that it a relatively infrequent occurrence. 

If you - or more importantly the seller (because it's their risk) - want to protect themselves against the guitar being damaged and consequent financial loss, then pay for the proper insurance.  By "proper", I mean insurance that will actually pay out in the event of a loss.  Check Overland Express.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 175
    Well, I bought it, satisfied with the sellers description of how they’d pack it, along with previous positive feedback for posting acoustics.

I’ll post a NAGD if it arrives in one piece, fingers crossed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bugilemanbugileman Frets: 58
    edited April 27
    I have sent hundreds of acoustics and only had a few issues. The answer is to pack well and buy from an experienced shipper.